here we go.......

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

Just started my build of my new computer and I am kinda stuck. Ok my mother board has 2 spots to plug in for my harddrive. I understand blue is for my primary. So I plug that in there. Now the second one is for my cd rom drive?? Is that right?. Now my bios offers 2 primary harddrive settings so the second one does not have to be the slave. So am I supposed to plug in each hard drive to the 2 seperate spots to make 2 primary harddrives?? If I do that where do I plug in my cd rom drive? Last does it make a diffrence if my second drive is set up as a slave or a primary?. Oh im sure there will be more questions. Thanks all.......

Guest helloimtim

So If I understand this right. What I need to do is 1st hard drive blue. Second hard drive plugs into the other IDE spot and plug my cd rom into the greay plug that is on the ribbon to connect my 2nd hard drive. Is that right?  Is it possible to swap files between the 2 hard drives? If so how do I do that? Thank you

no, plug both hard drives in the blue connector with one cable, plug your cdrom drive in the other connector with another cable.  set the hard drive with your os on it to master, the other one to slave.  set the cdrom drive yo master.  yes, you can swap files between the two drives, they will show up as two separate drives in my computer that you can transfer files between like it was two folders on the same hard drive

I'm guessing you have newer hard drives. If both drives have an option called "Cable Select" you can also set them to that.

Drive with OS e.g.: Windows XP master or cable select c:

second hard drive same IDE cable,

slave or cable select.

CD-Rom seprate IDE cable aka "IDE channel"