hp

resijs

Why in the world, did hp put a file called terminator.exe "The Ruthless Killer of Windows" into my install folder for my Presario 6300us?

I know that it's in my reformat discs, so wtf?

There's also one called killapps.exe, and all this scary stuff.

The files Killwind.exe, Terminator.exe, Cloaker.exe, Spawn.exe and Fondlewindow.exe are part of the Backweb program that HP installs on all Pavilion PC's & now on all Compaqs. Backweb enables HP to connect directly to a PC while it is online (simply connected to an ISP - doesn't matter if the browser is open or not) so that it can "push" content and program updates.

Unless you are using BackWeb for news content, i recommend un-installing it. It is often a serious resource hog, in most cases it is also advertising adware, it slows down your Internet connection (unacceptably if you connect by modem), and it has the potential for sending out information from your PC.

-JxL

accolades to donquonzo for help on this

Thanks guys, I pretty much guessed it all.

I didn't bother removing it, in an unrelated issue I reformatted my computer with a different Install Disc.

It is the OEM version of Windows XP Home with SP2, and so far... I like not having to uninstall the extras.  :haha: