msconfig

billybob12345

to change my startup i always typed in msconfig in the run menu...........well now i was told that it screws up a pc to change it from there.........i don't think it is, right?  well anyways i was told instead to type in services.msc  and it is supposed to bring up a window. i haven't tried it so what does this do thats different from msconfig? 

-------------------------------------

billybob

msconfig is ok to use. As long as you know what you are disabling/enabling at start up or other things, you should be fine.

I've never had a problem with it. I don't use it anymore though. If a program doesn't give me the option to choose whether it start's up with windows or not, I use 3rd party programs to do it. See screenshot.

Services.msc, also available by right-clicking on My Computer>>Manage. Services and Applications tab>>services, just shows what services, not programs (mostly) run with Windows. Don't fool with it if you don't know what your doing.

Msconfig, show services and programs that start when Windows starts. You only really need to pay attention to the services tab and startup tab in Msconfig.

Msconfig, show services and programs that start when Windows starts. You only really need to pay attention to the services tab and startup tab in Msconfig.

Exactly. On the services tab, it's sometimes best to check the box at the bottom that says "Hide All microsoft Services" before unchecking what you don't want starting with your system. The startup tab is pretty self explanatory. Just uncheck what you want to bring to a halt at Windows start.

Just a side note on the MSCONFIG topic....anyone running Win2K like me (stubborn social deviant XP refugees), you can load & install the very useful little tool Msconfig.exe which was loaded into 98, ME, XP but left out our beloved 2k.

All it takes, is copy the executable from any final version of XP & paste it into your C:WINNTsystem32 directory...simple & yes it Does Work~! I was lazy & put the *.exe right on the desktop....works great  :)

-JxL