what does this message mean?????

billybob12345

i uninstalled a game a while bvack and decided to install a new game..........it's an older game really called secret service.............and when i put the disk in even though for some reason my autorun is disabled even though it's checked to prompt me with a box when i put the cd in.......anyways it comes up with this message when i try to install it...........here's the screenshot...........

ive had this game on my system before but now when i try to install games it's alway this message that pops up..........i can only install about half my games without my pc having this msg. pop up......but it should install no prooblems beause i have already had this game installed before..........so why won't it let me install it now???

ive had this game on my system before but now when i try to install games it's alway this message that pops up..........i can only install about half my games without my pc having this msg. pop up......but it should install no prooblems beause i have already had this game installed before..........so why won't it let me install it now???

There is, more than likely, a registry entry stopping you from installing. Clean out your registry and any folders that were installed/used to install the game/program the first time. Reboot and try it again without the steps below. If that doesn't work, try the steps.

Try the above recommendation first.

It could be your desktop resolution settings. mabey the game will only run at 16Bit.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Go to Start/Help and Support

Once H & S open up, and under the left column of options, click on the link "Fixing a problem" (2nd from the bottom)

Next, on the left hand side again, click the second option from the top which is "Application and software problems"

Now, on the right side of the window, the middle section is titled "Pick a task". Click the first option "Run software that worked with previous versions"

The "Program Compatibility Wizard" should now be open. Read and click "Next".

Because you are installing from the CD-ROM, select the middle option "I want to use the program in the CD-ROM drive". Click "Next".

When selecting a compatibility mode, "Windows 98/Windows ME" is the most common option that runs all older programs/games. Select it and click "Next".

The next screen is about display settings. Select the third option. That will disable visual themes. Some older programs don't support them. Click "Next".

On the next screen, select the drive that contains the program that you want to install. If you can't make a selection, the install disc should already be chosen. If not, click back and put the make sure the game/program disc is inserted. Click "Next".

The program should began its install. Allow it to finish.

On the next screen, choose the first option if the compatibility wizard worked. If not, choose either of the remaining two options.

I hope this helps.

I typed this out because it works on most older games/programs as I have used it many time before.

Note: If the game would have installed sucessfully, but wouldn't run, you could just right click on the starting icon and select properties. From there, you would go to the compatibility tab. Under that tab, you would check the first box and select Windows 98/Windows ME from there. You would also select the third box in the middle section "Disable visual themes". You could also select the last box "Turn off advanced text services for this program".

I've had success using the steps above. Hopefully you will too.

i have used this before too..........this time though........... :angry5: it didn't work i tried and it said checking d drive setup then the window that was in closed and my cd drive kicked on (could hear it spinning) then after a few seconds my hd light blinked a few times then everything just stopped and i got that msg. again that is in my screenshot................. :?::mad2: :mad2:  do u maybe have any other ideas

ok yeah this game used to run really well on my pc since well yah your right it should it doesn't take much of anything to run this game.......but i will post back about the registry and say if it installs

edit/ would this program work to clean the registry?

There are many registry cleaners that you can use. Many free ones work well. Be sure to only select to remove the entries that pertain to the game. I don't want you to remove anything else that could cause more problems. :haha:

thnx when i went to one thing it said to do............. start>run>cmd  and type in that stuff with the cd in the drive.........it said file destination not found or something like that so now on the windows support link from there it says open wordpad and type in a whole bunch of stuff then save as the file names that are missing and put them in the correct folders i guess i should do that right now right???????????    dang all this trouble to install a program that isn't nessecary for my pc  lmao :haha:

The link above you posted rotruda has a nasty popup, at least for me if you use FF you might not get it. Soon as i followed the link i got a "Tribal Fusion"Popup. Check for spyware after visiting that site.

You need to expand your AUTOEXEC.NT file off your XP