HELP! with hubs/switches

jynxa

Hello everyone, I'm having a problem with connecting a switch to my network.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router which has a 10Mbps 3Com Superstack II Hub connected to it. All the computers connected to the hub receive and IP address from the DHCP server of the router. It works fine but is limited to 10Mbps (I have 15Mbps Cox cable).

However I've wanted to replace this hub with a 100Mbps switch, so I purchased a Gigafast ethernet 8 port switch (ez800-s). When I connect the switch directly to the router, the computers on the switch do not get an IP address from the router. Any port on this switch is supposed to act as an uplink and I I have connected it to port 4 on the Linksys router, the supposed uplink port. I have tried power cycling and resetting both components but have had no luck. I've done network installations with switches before, but I do not know why this does not work. I experience the same problem if I try a D-Link switch as well. I don't want to have to purchase a hub because I know they are obsolete, does anyone have a clue what could be happening?

I can only imagine that either the switch is bad, or that it is incompatible with the router.  What you can try to do is to remove the router from the network.  Connect your modem to the switch to your PC (only 1 PC though, unless it's a smart switch).  Is there a connection? if not, troubleshoot the switch accordingly.  I'm not an expert with this type of set up, but I'm wondering that since the router distributes one IP per port, then that switch is trying to send that IP to multiple clients, which would create a problem.  Is that switch also a DHCP server?  (Sounds like too much hardware to me...I'd suggest getting another router instead of the switch).