Upgrade from XP Pro to Media Center

milchama

Do you need to join a domain?  If not, you'll never go back to winXP Pro.  You can actually join a domain with Media Center 2005, but you'll break the Media Extender connections.

You won't have any problems with any drivers you're running on WinXP.  The biggest challenge with Media Center is the drivers, encoders, and decoders for some tuner cards and DVD play back.

Guest helloimtim

Why not just ghost drive your xp set up. If things turn south with media center your coverd. Personally I really like norton ghost 2003.  The newer version will not make a bootable disk for you like 2003 did. Helps if you have a dvd burner. I have my entire xp backed up to one disk.

Why not just ghost drive your xp set up. If things turn south with media center your coverd. Personally I really like norton ghost 2003.  The newer version will not make a bootable disk for you like 2003 did. Helps if you have a dvd burner. I have my entire xp backed up to one disk.

Great I have Ghost 2003. Bad news I have to do a fresh install because it sais my Windows is newer than the windows I want to install so an upgrade is out of the question. :angry5:

Will Ghost 2003 give me a fresh install if I need it? I am gonna throw all my stuff on to a nother HDD and start fresh w/ M.C.

I'm betting your tuner card will not work in MCE 2005.  It isn't logo'd or listed as supported in MCE at http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?&bCatID=751&cpID=1064&ocID=0&OR=1 and it doesn't appear to have any MCE drivers at http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/list_driver.asp

Looks like the Leadtek MCE card is the Winfast PVR2000

If you have the option to just use a different hard drive for testing that is what I would do.. that way if MC doesnt work.. unplug the drive.. replug the xp drive.. and away you go..

Duh . . . I cant believe I did'nt think of that. That's why I love this forum it is a type of "think tank" and as always swimmer you give only the pertinent S#*t. I was actually thinking of just IMing  you cuz I figured youd know the best solution.

I am actually gonna build a mediacenter PC sometime next year after all the new gpu cards come out, so it will be more affordable.

Untill then I am too stoked about the Xbox 360 and want to be able to streamline video and music to my HDTV and home stereo.

even though I think my klipsch 5.1 sound better than my Yamaha's in my living room. Its all about convenience though. :cool:

Looks like the Leadtek MCE card is the Winfast PVR2000

I was just looking at the same thing. I am gonna try the pvr drivers as I am betting the basic architecture to the pvr is'nt all that different.

Duh . . . I cant believe I did'nt think of that. That's why I love this forum it is a type of "think tank" and as always swimmer you give only the pertinent S#*t. I was actually thinking of just IMing  you cuz I figured youd know the best solution.

Well i am glad i could help ya.. I am at work right now.. so i wouldnt be able to talk with ya on AIM..

I am actually gonna build a mediacenter PC sometime next year after all the new gpu cards come out, so it will be more affordable.

Untill then I am too stoked about the Xbox 360 and want to be able to streamline video and music to my HDTV and home stereo.

even though I think my klipsch 5.1 sound better than my Yamaha's in my living room. Its all about convenience though. :cool:

The 360 is going to be awesome!!!  I cant wait either.. i am thing about getting it but 299 is a little bit much for a college boy..  do you have a DTS or DDS decoder for that klipsch set? or are you using their matrix stuff?

i am thing about getting it but 299 is a little bit much for a college boy.. 

Yea I already sold my xbox and games and put all the $ down on a reservation. plus I work and when I want some new toy like home stereo or HDTV or new PC, laptop, I do these medical studies on weekends and they usually pay $2500 plus.

do you have a DTS or DDS decoder for that klipsch set?

No, well I have an Audigy 2 card but the way the source connects to the sub/amp is kinda stupid I wish it just had a plain toslink (fiber optic) none the less it sounds clean and loud and is great for gaming, movies and all that I did when I was in the dorms before I got married. On the other hand, my Home stereo is great it sounds better on the discrete channel end it just needs better speakers. It has a lower harmonic distortion level but still the PC sounds better. The Klipsch speakers are mad. I need to get some for the home stereo. :D and sell the yamaha speakers on ebay

yeah i was looking that the z5500s to replace my z2200s that i bought last year.. love both of them to death..  The only advantage over the klipsch is the built in decoder and the fiber toshlink..  Which i can run from my audigy 2 zs notebook..