xp sp2 patch...........

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

The patch for xp sp2 thats been around forever. The one that increases the connections for the default 10 to 50 or more. DId they seem to help ya or make any diffrence? I have tried the patch from time to time. Really did not notice much of a diffrence. I know there is also a patch that I have used that increases the connection attempts in ie6. Got them both from speednet.com. Yes die hard ff users. The same "magic" tweak ff has, Has been around for quite some time. The ff tweak that is supposed to make web browsing so much faster. I believe you typed about:config in ff and changed a few settings. Been around for along time. It was never a ff tweak. Just a simple Xp tweak thats been around since sp2 had been released. By default xp only allows for 10 conections  in hopes of slowing down any worm you system may become infected with. I believe that was the reason. The patch changes it to 50 or how many ever you want. I did see some guy changed his to like 200. Thats pretty crazy. Just thought some may have some thoughts on this.

When I had SP2, I applied the patch and it didn't help me at all. My browsing was great as well as speed test results, but my bittorrent speeds suffered terribly.

I uninstalled it through add/remove and bittorrent speeds went wild. :)

Service Pack 2 is not required as of yet, and I still have every update offered without it. I don't need the extra features that it offers, especially the security increase. I really believe that it's geared towards novice users that can't protect themselves and clicks on every link/add that they assume to be safe.

I haven't had it installed in so log that I can't remember the exact name. I think it had sp2 in the name.

Try here: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

Use the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel

1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Click to select the Show Updates check box.

3. Click Windows XP Service Pack 2, and then click Remove. 

4. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

5. Perform a system restore to return the system to a point before Windows XP SP2 was installed.

Note See "Use the System Restore process" in this section.

6. Click Start, click Run, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK. This will return the file system to the order that it had before you installed Windows XP SP2.

Use the System Restore process

1. Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%System32restorerstrui.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3. Click the date that you installed Windows XP SP2, and then click Installed Window XP Service Pack 2 in the Restore Point box.

4. Click Next, and then follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

Well i want to delete SP2 if it helps connection, but those methods wont let me uninstall, i cant see uninstall SP2, Spunist.exe isnt there but i searched it, and clicked of the files (there was like 15 spunist.exe but it says it restores before xp was installed) i dont want to remove xp. I deleted recent restore point.  :(

I clicked the box that says "Show Updates" and "Windows XP Service Pack 2" showed up in the list. I selected it and clicked remove. I didn't perform a system restore afterwards. My system ran fine.

Mabey you shouldn't attempt it. I have completely destroyed file systems and performed several fresh installs in a single day before. When I sense anything to be wrong with my system, I wipe it out ASAP.

You may have important data that's not backed up, so removing sp2 might not be in your best interest.

Service Pack 2 is not required as of yet, and I still have every update offered without it.

Hahaha.. it will never be "required".. ever!  even my sound card that requires will run on an sp1 system just fine..  you hit it on the head.. if you have a good firewall/antivirus you dont need to worry..

You can't remove sp2 if it came with the os.

And you're sooo right, sp2 is for the link clickers, I had to fix my cousin's computer and alls I did was install sp2 and it all was fixed, go figure.

btw, ignorance is the majority of our people, so you know why sp2 is there.