AGP 8x vs PCI Express

Which architecture will reign supreme?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which architecture will reign supreme?

• AGP 4x/8x
    • PCI Express x16/x32

hmmm...

for me agp is alot more safer.and stable :police:...since its been around for many years...

but for the sake of buying a mother board with just agp 8x support(because my father bought one and upgraded it to pentium 4(arrgg damn new pc for old days :cry:)) is there any chance that the new geforce 8 series would release their agp 8x version??

and for the manifacturers and developers of agp's...is there any chance that there would be an advancement on agp technology?? :undecided:

hmmm...

for me agp is alot more safer.and stable :police:...since its been around for many years...

but for the sake of buying a mother board with just agp 8x support(because my father bought one and upgraded it to pentium 4(arrgg damn new pc for old days :cry:)) is there any chance that the new geforce 8 series would release their agp 8x version??

and for the manifacturers and developers of agp's...is there any chance that there would be an advancement on agp technology?? :undecided:

AGP is just about dead. There will most likely not be a gefore 8 series agp video card.

There have been talks of AGP 40x and there are AGP 16x cards, but they are still slower then PCIE.

AGP is here to say until ATI/NVIDIA says differently..  PCI-E has found its niche, like expected, in the high end gaming world and is beginning to make its presence felt in the consumer level products.  I think the biggest thing that we all missed was PCI-E's influence on the enterprise market.  It is just about impossible to get any type of server with standard PCI slots.  I am sure that PCI-E will grow even more with the introduction of Vista and the requirements needed to run that software platform.

As far as it being used for different functionalities.. The largest one that I have seen is signaling.  The Killer NIC card is PCI based because of some type of signaling issue when it was tried on a PCI-E platform.  It is going to be really difficult to kill off PCI! 

SATA and PATA/IDE are still alive and kicking.. I have yet to see a SATA CD-ROM drive.. Even on the new blu-ray burner..  So PATA/IDE is going to be around for a while also.

SATA and PATA/IDE are still alive and kicking.. I have yet to see a SATA CD-ROM drive.. Even on the new blu-ray burner..  So PATA/IDE is going to be around for a while also.

now you have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827131047

They don't use sata much on optical drives because there is no benefit, the disk just can't have its info pulled fast enough for sata.

The only reason to use a SATA dvd rom is for cable management

soo i'm convinced...

but the thing is i have a agp8x port so i have to have an agp vc for an upgrade...what's the best brand and model for me to match my high end gaming??

system info:

CPU: intel P4 3ghz

memory: 512ddr2 533

mainboard model: ECS P4M800PRO-M2

graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX400 32bit

BIOS: American Megatrends