DDR II Dual Channel (2 QUESTIONS)

milchama

Ok I just got a Kingston 1gig DDR II 533mHz Dual Channel module for my Inspiron 9300. I am running Memtest86 on it right now and the test is in pass 3 test 7 and still no errors.

How long am I supposed to run this test?

Also The test screen says single channel, I thought this was Dual channel or do I hae to have another module with matching density for it to appear as dual channel?

Dual channel means 2 dual channel memory chips installed in same color slots.. If you have only one mem stick (like I do :(), it is going to run single channel on half the speed (my max frequency is 333mhz, right now on single channel i only got 166mhz).. I would not think that you need same brand and model mem sticks for them to work in dual channel mode, but both of them have to support dual channel mode.. However, if you want no errors, the best thing is to get same brand + model sticks :)

Ok I just got a Kingston 1gig DDR II 533mHz Dual Channel module for my Inspiron 9300. I am running Memtest86 on it right now and the test is in pass 3 test 7 and still no errors.

How long am I supposed to run this test?

Also The test screen says single channel, I thought this was Dual channel or do I hae to have another module with matching density for it to appear as dual channel?

when i got new ram for my i9300, i ran the memtest for 8 passes.  i figured its enough since i had no errors, so i stopped there.

Also, dont worry about single channel or dual channel on the i9300.  dual channel has no benefit in the i9300 because the fsb is the same speed as the ram (some guy proved it had no impact at notebookforums).

• 2 weeks later...