Custom computer will not start

resijs

I just recently bought...

Motherboard : PT88AS (MachSpeed)

CPU : Celeron D 2.93GHz

RAM : Viking DDR PC3200 256MBs (2 sticks)

And a new case that supports the ATX formfactor and everything.

After I got done putting everything and going to press the power butotn, it wouldn't turn on! Not even the system fan went, it was almost like it was fried, but I know I took the necessary precautions before I installed it...

I grounded myself, Made sure the RAM was locked in place thoroughly, made sure the CPU was seated right... The power cord is in. (Not sure if I need the 12V with a Celeron D though.)

On button is pressed of course, and the LED wires SHOULD be in.

The only thing I can think of is the Power BTN or Power SW cord is not in the right holes, but I tried every combination. I read the manual, and it looks like it's seated properlly.

The only thing weird is the Reset SW from the case is missing a pin that the motherboard calls for, and so does the power SW.

wtf is going on here? D:

no, i am asking if you want to manually short the power switch cables on the power supply without going through the case/mainboad since that is all the switch in the case does. i have even ussed a homebuilt case where i didn't havea switch installed for months, so tggling the power switch meant touching 2 exposed wires that snaked out of the case. like hotwiring a car, lol. gave good atmosphere for gta.

the reason i am asking you to disconnect everything else besides maybe a fan is to see if the power supply comes on when it is switched that way, and to avoid any damage to components if there is something wrong with it. when you switch it a you do now, does the ps fan come on?

is there a mechanical swtch on the back of your ps, is it on?

I'm telling you, this is what it looks like you want me to do.

Take a paperclip and one of the internal power cords and stick it in there to see if it turns on, but that would fry my power box. lol

I'll just go see if it turns on my old motherboard since I'm sure that it'll work that way.  ;)

I'm telling you, this is what it looks like you want me to do.

Take a paperclip and one of the internal power cords and stick it in there to see if it turns on, but that would fry my power box. lol

I'll just go see if it turns on my old motherboard since I'm sure that it'll work that way.

nonononononono!

lol

if i wanted you to fry it i would tell you to supercool the ps py immersing it in water then turning it on to see if some of the condensators were too warm to condense the power. or something like that.

but hats off to yo for thinking twice before acting on a misunderstanding.

the poer supply connects to the riser ofthe mainboard where all the leds, pc spaker etc go with a cable that is marked power or something of the kind. it is not like the power cords, it is one of those flimsy thingummy cables. take that one and short it, that is the one that the cases switch, or the board, if it is coming out of a standby mode, shorts to tell the ps to go to full on or turn off.

see 3.3.2 page 26

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

no go.... :( My old ps did not work on the new motherboard.

Seriously it must be the way it's configured.

The motherboard has this, PWR LED  POWER BTN

HDD LED RESET

The powerled in for the motherboardshould be two pins, the power btn should be "3 pin" HOWEVER the third pin is not there (Not supposed to be according to the manual but it shows the power btn ord with 3 pin holders....), HDD LED should be 2 pins, and the Reset is 3 pins.

My case has this, the hdd led is fine.

the reset is 2 pins, the power btn is "2 pins" and the pwr led comes in two seperate cords.

I am also not sure of the way I should put the cords in, the arrow on the left side, or the right? I have it on the right.

:(

Can you take a few pics to show us what it looks like. You mean the arrows on the LED wires?

Make sura all standoffs are in also you might want to check under the mobo to make sure there isn't a loose screw or something under it this will also cause your problem :)

Yes, there could be a loose screw in there.

I actually tried to take pictures before I even started this thread, my cell phone's picture quality just sUx, sorry. :(

BTW, I didn't have enough screws for all the holes on the mobo, could it be possible that would do this? :o

That could do it if it is on a corner of the mobo and there is no standoff under it. If the mobo is flexing and the corner is touching the case that would do it. Have a check and see to make sure non of the mobo is touching the case.

once you make sure the mobo isn't touching the case etc. you might as well try hotwiring it like i said. take that little power on cable that goes from the ps to the board and 'jumper' it with something for a sec. if that starts the system, you know that you have a problem with the pinout being weid.

I doubt I'll ever understand what you're asking me to do resopal, if I get it wrong than I will ruin it, so I don't want to chance it, even though I'm pretty sure if I get it right than I'll know that I didn't fry my motherboard yet. :P

btw, standoff is the big metal frame behind the mobo? Or are you talking about the round things that go under the screws?

Hey, I think you're right, I definently have it messed up... I hope this works! ^_^

k, I think this is what you're talking about... It's white clearish, looks like it'll work.

you have onee flimsy cable power on or so with a 2 prong plug from the ps to the mobo, right? remove that from the mobo, and short circuit the plug for a sec with a paperclip. it is the power on line referred to in thespecs i posted below. doing that will not harm the board,it will however turn on the power supply if the reasoon it's not turning on is a problem with the pin grid on the board, as you have describedthings not fitting. and the standoffs are the plastic thingies that are supposed tokeep the board from touching any metal sve forthe screws you used.

if the plug looks like something to hook to a drive or onto the boards power plug, you're off base.it should look like the other led, pcspeaker etc plugs. i suspect that you have a problem with either the board pinouts description or the switch in the case.

I am happy to report that the computer is on now, I can hear the fans running, my case fan is going...

Now the problem is this, starts up... No video, no lights, no beeps.

ram is secure, graphics card is secure, the harddrive might be the problem, but I dunno if it would do that.

btw, no I don't have that... I have 4 hd/cdrom plugs, 1 made big one for the mobo, and the 4 pin one for P4s and 2 floppy cables.