Cable Modem Help...

wyantm06

Ok here is my issue. I right now have a Toshiba PCX 5000 which has a sricted NAT. I guess there is no way to make it open so this is the way I have to go. I am going to my Cable Internet company and swapping to get this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7069744&type=product&id=1108126144181 for free since they said I can upgrade anytime. Ok is there anyway I can hook my Xbox 360 and Computer to this without having to get a router? Like to they have certain plug things that can go into the back of the modem and have them share connection or what? Please help.

yeah - if it's a router modem, the it will work just like plugging directly into the modem for an x-box. I couldn't find it when I searched for it though.

Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeesy.

although you won't have a real IP addy - if you are trying to ...

However, what is at Best Buy is JUST a modem, if you want to go this way, you can get a router at Wal-Mart for 30 bucks, hook the router into the modem, and all other appliances into the router, the one that you want to have first priority goes into slot 1, although it doesn't make a huge difference, the minimal difference can make or break you.

Plug them in order of priority, and I would use the computer first as it will be easiest to troubleshoot that way with networking problems later.

Have fun :)

The 5K is a router, the Best Buy Model is NOT. If you upgrade, you lose the router capability and will have to get a router, it's actually better that way. They aren't that expensive normally - I can guarnatee you that if Wal-Mart carries them, they are marked down for X-MAS! And, you will have more control over how your I-net connection works.

It means :

252 CPE's means you can have 252 computers networked through it.

Define "open your NAT". Are there ports being blocked or do you want a real IP address?

<- not an XBOX user, just a geeky chick

try this link if all else fails:  http://192.168.100.1

Ok I am either hoping your up or you will read this my morning. Well here is how things went. I turned off my Firewall and I shut every PC down and just turned on my Xbox. It said NAT open. So I think wow awesome! Then turn on my other PC's and they won't work on the Internet. So I had to turn the firewall back on. Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks

If you change MAC adresses, you will change IP adresses.... the ethrenet card has a hardware address

that hardware addy cannot be changed: when ISP assigns real IP addys to equipment, it assigns your IP addy to the mac addy of your machine. If your mac addy changes, your likely to change IP addys as well.

You want to disable the firewall, but leave the NAT enabled is the trick.

As a little background, a NAT (Network Address Translator) is the part of your router/modem that lets you use your 1 IP address for multiple computers.  If you disable the NAT, you will be giving your 1 ip address to only 1 of the computers, as opposed to splitting it up among all of them.

well when I turn the firewall off it enables it and it only works on one computer.

That means the modem is functioning improperly. Contact Toshiba for troubleshooting or a replacement.