Help with BIOS that won't boot OS

Le_Murphant

Hello. I'm having some trouble booting my OS (Vista build 6000). It worked fine until I tried to overclock with an automatic function in the bios. My motherboard is the ASUS P5LD2 and the option I tried was overclocking with AI Overclocking, with a max of 3% overclock. The processor is core 2 duo 2.13 ghz. I tried reverting the bios to default but it won't help. When I power on, the  bios boot screen appears, the screen goes black and scans for IDE devices (appears to find none) and then goes back to a distorted boot screen, and freezes. I can access the bios setup utility, but I'm not sure what to look for. Any ideas for solving my problem? Thanks in advance.

nop, i'm completely new to fidgeting with motherboards. There are quite a few jumpers, which one should I try? Should I just take out the lithium battery and replace it? Btw, something really strange happenned. I was fidgeting with it all, I turned my computer on and the fuse for the room went off. Most other appliances in the room were not turned on, and my psu only takes 450 watts. Since I didn't understand right away that the fuse had blown, I went in another room and powered it up and... IT WORKED. I was thrilled, so I started wondering what was going on in the other room, and I figured the fuse had blown, i replaced it, then moved back my comp to its original spot and... it wouldn't boot! Ive tried recreating the exact same circumstances than the time it worked, but Ive been trying for hours and am getting discouraged. Any ideas or is it just a manifestation of chaos theory applied to computers? Also, could anyone drop me a word of what there is to know about master and slave IDE (idk what the terms mean) because I remark that my bios can see my hard drive as a master, but there is no slave, and when its about to boot, it says that IDEs 0,1,2 and 3 are not recognised while my bios sees my HD as ide 4. I also tried booting from a CD, and the bios crashed when its time to boot with a CD or with the HD.

WHEW, I did it. I pulled the battery, put it back in, and it worked. Don't ask me why. I'm never touching that overclocking function again  :icon_pale:. It works, I'm happy. Thanks for you help guys. If a moderator sees this, they can close the thread. There's no moral to take of it other than that computers have no logic whatsoever :idiot2:

To Tommie: I actually have breakers at home, but I didn't want to use that term not to confuse them with the breakers inside the computer case. But I do agree: Breaker > Fuse. I didn't know there existed fuse-shaped breakers tho, thx for the info.

WHEW, I did it. I pulled the battery, put it back in, and it worked. Don't ask me why. I'm never touching that overclocking function again  :icon_pale:. It works, I'm happy. Thanks for you help guys. If a moderator sees this, they can close the thread. There's no moral to take of it other than that computers have no logic whatsoever :idiot2:

To Tommie: I actually have breakers at home, but I didn't want to use that term not to confuse them with the breakers inside the computer case. But I do agree: Breaker > Fuse. I didn't know there existed fuse-shaped breakers tho, thx for the info.

thats another way to reset the bios. glad you got it fixed  :grin2: