complete noob to linux

starship_troopers

ok i have been helping a friend who wanted to format windows (easy enough) and now he wants to reformat a partition (30gb which is half of his hard drive) on a laptop. xp media center and suse linux 10.1 . the laptop is an acer aspire 3100-1033 (same as mine...he bought it cause he liked mine lol) anyways i am lost on how to dual boot suse 10.1 and xp media center on this laptop. any help is appreciated

starship_troopers

edit// i forgot to say, the iso (like 3.5gb file) is almost done downloading and will be burned onto a dvd.

Dont use SuSE 10.1.. The updater is broken and it doesnt have the latest GUI which is a lot better! 

Here is a guide to dual boot 10.1 but it should be exactly the same as 10.2..

http://kimharding.net/dual_boot/index.html

thanks, one more question. will 10.2 work on the laptop? the thing i'm worried about is the display and sound. ?

when i try to download 10.2 from opensuse.org it says the dvd iso file (i dont want to download the cd's unless i have to) is forbidden. i even have an account there...

thanks, one more question. will 10.2 work on the laptop? the thing i'm worried about is the display and sound. ?

when i try to download 10.2 from opensuse.org it says the dvd iso file (i dont want to download the cd's unless i have to) is forbidden. i even have an account there...

You done need to be a member.. http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version#Downloads that should allow you to download the CD ISO..  I would highly recommend Bit torrent and the ISO files are very well seeded..