Locked up laptop

Aggr3

Okay guys, help me out with this.  I have a Gateway PII 300 Mghz laptop.  Will not boot past Windows 98 window.  Keeps trying to run scan disk and tells me "that it detected an invalid long file name entry on this drive but was unable to fix it."  Twenty minutes later, it still will not finish running scan disk.  Prior to this time, system was working extremely slow.  I'd like to reload it with Windows 2000, but can't get that far.  I have both an upgrade and a full operating system of Win 2000.  Which would be best, or should I reload Win98?  Tried booting in safe mode, but system can't get past the scandisk hangup or the Windows 98 screen.  What am I doing wrong here?

I've tried that...both with the upgrade and the full version.  I'm not sure, but think the default might be set to boot from a floppy and my software is on CD.  I don't know where the menu is that shows the boot sequence of the devices.  Not real computer literate here.

Thanks man!  I made the changes you recommended, and at this time Windows 2000 is installing from the CD drive.  Might get stuck again, but at least the system is doing something which is a drastic improvement over where I was a few minutes ago. 

Nice advice Scank Ho!  Yeah I had something very simular happen to my old compaq Amd k6-2 500MHz..  A call to compaq and that didnt fix the problem so out to CDW to get windows 2000 pro full version!!  It does sound like you are going to have to reformat.. There is just no way of getting around it.. unless you can boot into safe mode but that sounds like it is out of the question..

i also had a similar problem happen on my shitty $10 laptop (its a PII 300MHz[i think...maybe slower, maybe faster, somewhre around there], with 32mb of RAM, a like 14 in screen which has a broken hinge yet still works, some crappy int.gfx, no LAN, sometimes-works-floppy-drive, and cd drive, and 5 or 6GB harddrive)

i have a win2k cd

Crap! Sorry to hear that. Swimmer, I've failed you master. :cry:

Aggr3, I suppose you don't have a boot disk, do you? You could FDISK  from a win98 boot disk. I suppose you could do the same from DOS, if you could get there. But you don't want to beat a dead horse either.

you might have to reformat in the dos command prompt.. with fdisk... which is a pain.. 300mhz would not be recommended for windows xp.. unless you have like 256mb of ram in the laptop.. the you will be running the os from the disk cache.. Which is no fun!  Windows 2000 might run faster once it is loaded.. it was really never intended to be shut down.. It was made to be stable one it was up and running.. there for it takes for ever to boot which is ok..  I still personally think that 2000 pro is more stable than xp.. and it might even be more secure..

Stank Ho..You tried.. you cant get everyone right on the first try!

hey, that error that you are getting, i remember getting it on my old computer when I tried to reformat it (it was win98, and was FAT32).  It kept giving me that error and since it wasnt working, i decided to format it to NTFS, and it formatted correctly that way.  Maybe it will work for u if u format it to a different kind of file system too.  just my 2 cents

hey, that error that you are getting, i remember getting it on my old computer when I tried to reformat it (it was win98, and was FAT32).  It kept giving me that error and since it wasnt working, i decided to format it to NTFS, and it formatted correctly that way.  Maybe it will work for u if u format it to a different kind of file system too.  just my 2 cents

correct me if im wrong, but windows 98 cant read NTFS, i know i had that problem when running dual boot with 98 and XP

VanBuren :)

OK Van...the HD failed to format......sooooo..I tried fdisk command....now I'm hung up in this partitioning crap that I don't understand.  It's 6gig and is not partitioned now...so I tried to do the logical answers.....I thought....runs me right back to where it started....... :evil3:

windows 98 cant operate under ntfs system. Has to be fat 32. Finding a windows 98 disk is like trying to find a needll in a haystack. If you cant find your 98 disc, then you may have to get a new laptop with xp on it. ( personial opinion is they should take all the  windows 98 disc and burn em ) ;) Worse operating system i ever saw. Was suppose to be upgrade from 95, what a joke. Oh well guess ill get off my soapbox here and wish ya luck.  ;)

Okay.  Here are my options when using FDisk.  I must be doing something wrong (imagine that) because I am definitely going in circles here. 

After typing FDisk at the c prompt this is what I have:

Current Fixed disk drive:  1

Choose 1 of following:

1) Create DOS partition or logical DOS drive

2) Set active partition

3) Delete partition or logica DOS drive

4) Display

When I choose option 4 this is what is displayed:

Partition          Status      Type        Volume Label      Mbytes      System        Usage

C:1                    A          PriDOS                                  6189          FAT32        100%

Total disk space is 6189 Mbytes.

Which of the above options should I be choosing?  How do I get out of this loop?  Sorry if I get repetitious here, but I'd just like to get to the point that I can choose which operating system to use.  I have Win 98 & 2000, but at this point both are totally useless to me because I am unable to load either one.  Keeps telling me to run scandisk from Windows or from the CD, but it won't do that either.  'Bout ready to have a laptop bonfire!