Study Of Residential Broadband Speeds

vineetd

Hello -

My team is evaluating technology for consumer electronics/entertainment purpose. Our customers are end users, connected to the internet via residential broadband connections. I have been researching the realistic upload and download bandwidth our customers get at home. I like testmy.net's database on various ISPs. However, it doesn't tell me exactly how many people use a given ISP and how they are distributed in North America. Comcast, Rogers, Cox and few other ISPs boast high numbers, but it's hard to tell how widely there services are available. We are interested in finding out numbers on lower side of the scale which cover large population. Idea is that, if our service worked for lower tier connection rates - it will be easily cover other markets.

Is there a study out there? or even rough estimates of ISP and geography/number of people they serve? Akamai has few reports, so has netflix. We are ok to pay for such report too.

thanks,

Vineet

I don't know of such a report. More detailed geographic stats are coming to the TestMy.net in the near future. Speedtest.net already does this but I have a different idea of how I want to do it here.

Would a list that ranked providers by the amount of tests taken help you? We have a wide audience, you could definitely get a general idea with something like that I believe.

Don't worry about cost, as with the rest of the site it will be free and made available to everyone.

I don't know of such a report. More detailed geographic stats are coming to the TestMy.net in the near future. Speedtest.net already does this but I have a different idea of how I want to do it here.

Would a list that ranked providers by the amount of tests taken help you? We have a wide audience, you could definitely get a general idea with something like that I believe.

Don't worry about cost, as with the rest of the site it will be free and made available to everyone.

Hi CA3LE,

A list of providers ranked by amount of test would give me how popular an ISP is? I guess so, because it's safe to say that more the number of tests .. more popular the ISP is. I can then look at the ISP's last 250 test results and figure out average up/down rates. That will give me some idea about what speeds large chunk of population actually experience. Is such list available?

Btw, thanks for making upload and download as seperate tests :-) This helped us immensely in testing % degradation on simultaneous transfers.

Vineet

Hi CA3LE,

A list of providers ranked by amount of test would give me how popular an ISP is? I guess so, because it's safe to say that more the number of tests .. more popular the ISP is. I can then look at the ISP's last 250 test results and figure out average up/down rates. That will give me some idea about what speeds large chunk of population actually experience. Is such list available?

Btw, thanks for making upload and download as seperate tests :-) This helped us immensely in testing % degradation on simultaneous transfers.

Vineet

Well yes, it will give you a very good idea of the popularity of any given ISP. Getting this up is no problem, I'll be happy to add this to my suite... it will add to the value of my tools.

Your welcome by the way about the separate testing... I've always seen the value in testing those individually I'm glad when I hear of other people that understand part of the reason I do it that way.

I'm taking time off this weekend but I should be able to work some added functionality into the site that will help get you the information you're looking for. You actually caught me at a good time... between breaths, so I should have this online fairly quick ;)

Thanks for the idea, I'm sure that it will help others out as well. I'll keep you posted... and if this goes past Wednesday please remind me. I sometimes get deep into things and lose track of time :shocked:

-D

• 1 month later...

Well yes, it will give you a very good idea of the popularity of any given ISP. Getting this up is no problem, I'll be happy to add this to my suite... it will add to the value of my tools.

Your welcome by the way about the separate testing... I've always seen the value in testing those individually I'm glad when I hear of other people that understand part of the reason I do it that way.

I'm taking time off this weekend but I should be able to work some added functionality into the site that will help get you the information you're looking for. You actually caught me at a good time... between breaths, so I should have this online fairly quick ;)

Thanks for the idea, I'm sure that it will help others out as well. I'll keep you posted... and if this goes past Wednesday please remind me. I sometimes get deep into things and lose track of time :shocked:

-D

Hello Ca3LE,

I was wondering if you had chance to add this info somewhere? Name of ISP and number of tests being performed on the ISP is a good data to have for our study.

thx,

Vineet

Hello Ca3LE,

I was wondering if you had chance to add this info somewhere? Name of ISP and number of tests being performed on the ISP is a good data to have for our study.

thx,

Vineet

Actually no... but I think I could whip something up for you tonight. Hit you back in a little bit.

Alright... 1.5 hours later...

https://testmy.net/topcount

Updates every hour and lists the top 100 hosts by the number of tests taken.

To access this in the future go to the normal provider stats page and click on "# Recent Tests" to sort by that field.

post-2-0-35333700-1306375630_thumb.png

I hope this new feature helps you.

Awesome, CA3LE ! You are the man. Any chance that you could create something similar for upload results? I am going to see how I will use these results. Really appreciate it.