Jump to content
Iceman0803

Not getting advertised speeds when using testmy.net speedtest

Recommended Posts

I've switched back to Cox Communications from Centurylink and I can't seem to get anywhere close to my rated speeds using the testmy.net speed test. In fact, as I posted in another thread, my results even vary between browsers on the same system. I'm subscribed to cox's Ultimate tier which is supposed to give me speeds of 65Mb down and 5Mb up. The following are my results from testmy.net using a custom test size of 100MB With Firefox, Chrome, and IE9:


Firefox V 17.0.1 (addons enabled)
100MB download test size (testmy.net Central server)

Test 1 30.5 Mb/s
Test 2 30.4 Mb/s
Test 3 34.0 Mb/s

average 31.6 Mb/s

Firefox V 17.0.1 (addons disabled)
100MB download test size (testmy.net Central server)

Test 1 30.3 Mb/s
Test 2 30.3 Mb/s
Test 3 29.9 Mb/s

average 30.2 Mb/s

Chrome v 23.0.1271.97 m (addons enabled)
100MB download test size (testmy.net Central Server)

Test 1 28.6 Mb/s
Test 2 30.1 Mb/s
Test 3 29.7 Mb/s

average 29.5 Mb/s

Chrome v 23.0.1271.97 m (addons disabled via incognito mode)
100MB download test size (testmy.net Central Server)

Test 1 31.7 Mb/s
Test 2 33.0 Mb/s
Test 3 28.7 Mb/s

average 31.1

Internet Explorer v 9.0.8112.16421 (addons enabled)
100MB download test size (testmy.net Central Server)

Test 1 23.3 Mb/s
Test 2 41.7 Mb/s
Test 3 42.2 Mb/s

average 35.7 Mb/s

Internet Explorer v 9.0.8112.16421 (addons disabled)
100MB download test size (testmy.net Central Server)

Test 1 36.6 Mb/s
Test 2 40.2 Mb/s
Test 3 37.8 Mb/s

average 38.2 Mb/s

[/php]

I have no malware/viruses on my system and I ran the tests with avast shields on and off with no differences. I ran dslreports tcp optimizer and everything looks good except for RWIN values. But, I can't change them being that Win 7 auto tunes those values depending on connection conditions. [size=4]http://www.dslreport...ista&via=normal[/size]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


FF west coast (100MB test size)
Test 1 27.4 Mb/s
Test 2 27.6 Mb/s
Test 3 29.8 Mb/s

FF east coast (100MB test size)
Test 1 21.3 Mb/s
Test 2 18.3 Mb/s
Test 3 20.1 Mb/s

Chrome east coast (100MB test size)
Test 1 20.5 Mb/s
Test 2 20.0 Mb/s
Test 3 hung @60%

Chrome west coast (100MB test size)
Test 1 32.3 Mb/s
Test 2 9.5 Mb/s
Test 3 15.0 Mb/s

IE9 west coast (100MB test size)
Test 1 23.0 Mb/s
Test 2 29.6 Mb/s
Test 3 hit 4GB daily limit
[/php]

I didn't bother calculating the averages this time around because I couldn't complete the test on a couple of runs.

Also, when I run the test here http://nitro.ucsc.edu/ my results are 34.29Mb/s down and 5.96Mb/s up and I get a message that "Other network traffic is congesting the link." I don't think the network traffic they're referring to is local to me because I've disconnected all other wired clients and disabled wireless for the purposes of testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...