why the disparity between IE and Firefox?

missmoondog

why do I see such a difference in download speeds between IE11 and Firefox 35.0.1?

i can usually get at least 55Mbps when using Firefox and almost always only get around 30Mbps, if lucky, when using IE on a 60Mbps connection.

i have disabled my only addon, which is adblock in firefox and the easylist privacy tpl in ie. that makes no difference at all.

thank you

why do I see such a difference in download speeds between IE11 and Firefox 35.0.1?

i can usually get at least 55Mbps when using Firefox and almost always only get around 30Mbps, if lucky, when using IE on a 60Mbps connection.

i have disabled my only addon, which is adblock in firefox and the easylist privacy tpl in ie. that makes no difference at all.

thank you

As well as EBrowns suggestion, please refer to this thread, which suggests editing Firefox about:config for multi threading downloads

• 2 weeks later...

regarding the registry edit posted above in the link. i had that tweak done on most computers here before that was ever posted but not on all machines. after seeing that post though, i've noticed my settings for that had changed and keep changing to hexidecimal 16.

why isn't it sticking at 10 and decimal?

Value name: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
    Value data: 10
    Base: Decimal

Value Name: MaxConnectionsPerServer

thanks

regarding the registry edit posted above in the link. i had that tweak done on most computers here before that was ever posted but not on all machines. after seeing that post though, i've noticed my settings for that had changed and keep changing to hexidecimal 16.

why isn't it sticking at 10 and decimal?

Value name: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

Value Name: MaxConnectionsPerServer

thanks

That has me wondering if updates are torching your custom settings. Now I'll be watching for myself.

Though AFAIK they should never be changed outside of the owner settings.

i agree they should never change. i had just done a double check on those settings just before i posted above and when i saw that it had changed to hexadecimal and 16, i changed it back to the above and it immediately reverted back to hexadecimal and 16. it was as if it didn't take for even a second. modified it a second time and it took. at least long enough for me to back out of registry. didn't check it again before i got off that computer.

on a linux machine now, so can't check this one. :)

as far as the scans i just did, mbam, spybot and hitman pro all found nothing, as i knew they would. :)

@ebrown:

10 is the number that i did enter originally. some how it changes to 16 and the hexadecimal box gets checked instead of the decimal.

@mudmanc4:

what he found out is that old versions of ie can only download 2 files at a time and newer versions can download 6.

post-17374-0-32329900-1424869126.jpg

post-17374-0-05770000-1424869133.jpg

post-17374-0-11144100-1424869140.jpg

scans? as in malware scans? i know for a fact my computers are clean.

just to appease you though, i'll run malwarebytes and spybot real quick.

As diligent as we are, the term fact along side knowing next to clean , does not exist. For one it's a mathematical impossibility, secondly with new information coming out all the time on webRTC exploits, the lenovo conundrum, then the findings of PrivDog, there are most definitely many, many more.

edit: In fact I have never once come across a machine that I could not find something on, sometimes you have to look far and wide, but you'll find something , always. Not necessarily detrimental to system functionality, however for the better part, it is not about usability anymore , script kiddies grew up, and started stealing data, hijacking your sessions and spoofing regularly visited web pages, for starters.

sure, i can find tracking cookies on any machine too, but that's besides the point.

i just removed those registry settings and will let it, and my other windows machines, run like this for a while. those settings were already in there, as stated in post #5, as it was anyway, which was before i even started this topic and saw that other post.

i'm not going to worry about this anymore until after having removed those registry settings on all machines and see what happens.

thanks for all the help so far!!