world average download speed

8334-226

Your world average download speed is 75 Mbps.

Google says: What is the Global Average Internet Speed? For mobile internet, the global average download speed is 30.78 Mbps. The average upload speed is 8.55 Mbps. For fixed broadband connections, the average download speed is 67.25 Mbps. Jan 11, 2023

How do you get the result of 75 Mbps for the world average download speed?

Thanks for answering.

I the PM you sent me you added

2 minutes ago, 8334-226 said:

My download speed is 5% > KH Avg 19.5 Mbps. I think 75 Mbps is to high.

The 75 Mbps you're seeing has little to do with your personal speed, your speed is averaged in there but so is everyone else.  That's the World Average and displays the same for everyone.

You may be running 5% greater than the Cambodia (KH) average but you're still below the World Average speed.

Hope this helps.  Thank you for being such a long time member!  :) 

• 1 month later...

i find it very hard to believe the best avg speed is in Beijing China, tested by some anon users.
and supposedly Trinidad has the highest speeds? am i missing something here? did Trinidad suddenly wire up a lot while i was away? or the VPN/proxy servers for Trinidad real fast?

Where are you seeing this?

I do need to redesign the ranking to be more user friendly.  Definitely can be done better.

Here's the ranking, after filtering out some of the less popular locales.  I manually do a minimum test count of 45100 because every day the host database tables that the host averages are calculated from are trimmed, to 45000.  This isn't the right way to do this because it's dependent on the time of day. 

I have some additional logic I'm adding to that.  Where that part of the program will be made aware of the actual recent popularity.  It will default to filtering out the less popular locations to build a better list.

Sorting by download speed

https://testmy.net/rank/countrycode.down/45100
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 11.34.00 PM-b.png 

Sorting by upload speed
https://testmy.net/rank/countrycode.up/45100
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 11.33.38 PM-b.png

It will look different using the defaults.  It also may have been different when you looked, because of the time of day.  The tables might have just trimmed and then it happened that a bunch of tests were taking place in the locations you mentioned above.  That tool was designed before I started trimming those tables.  It was easier to sort them by popularity before they started being trimmed... after time the majority of the tables are over 45K rows making that variable unreliable.

Going way beyond the topic...

Keep in mind, I built TestMy.net with really no prior programming knowledge... starting in 1996 before it was even TestMy.net.  I then dropped out of high school in 1999, the useless information and repetition... I learn way more, much faster by DOING so I decided to focus on that.   Building this taught me and I'm always learning.  I've definitely made a lot of programming mistakes but they've all lead to a better understanding and better future designs. 

I'm a lone wolf programmer.  All of the frontend, all of the backend.  I even built the physical servers and infrastructure by hand.

BTW, I was like 1 or 2 credits from graduating.  Didn't really want their paper.  What does it prove?  Got hired at one of the largest telecommunication giants, quit school the next day.  Worked for them for 5 years.  Working my way up from the warehouse, within 1 year my pay increased over 6X.  That company was good to me but TestMy.net was calling, I've pursued it full time ever since.

Side note, if anyone actually reads this: That company had a strict policy and would have fired me if they knew I didn't have at least a GED.  No matter what my performance was in the company.  People high up (like extremely high up) told me it would be an open shut case and to keep quiet about it, "Just go get your GED dude!".  Some told me it wouldn't matter even if I got it because I should have never been hired in the first place. That attitude was actually the reason I left them.  With my own company nobody could hang anything over my head.  Yes, I probably could have just got a GED.  But why?  I don't want that.  They assumed I graduated because I had college credits, never lied to them.  Thankfully it never became an issue and I resigned on top.  Great company, they taught me a lot too.