Dedicated Server, London.

Hi Steven, welcome!

When you test at TestMy.net you're testing the connection from your home, through your providers network, out to the internet and then to my servers.

You only need to consider your own location when choosing one of my locations to test from.  Usually TMN will do a good job of choosing for you.

Based on your IP address, TMN would pick UK servers to test from.  You can also visit the Mirror page and quickly test your latency across all of the locations.  UK will again most likely perform the best (lowest).

After you're settled on a test server location then head over to the Auto Speed Test to schedule automatic testing.

Once you've gathered some results (data) visit My Results and My Average to get a better understanding of the results.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your advice CA3LE. However, I receive my internet via a dish from a transmitter not far away. My service provider explained to me that my internet is tunnelled to a specific server called Dedicated server in London (I live in Wales, a few hundred miles from London). I then go out to the rest of the world from there. My internet provider explained that I would only get a true reading of the quality of service they are providing by reading the internet speed between their server and my computer.

Reading the speed between their server and your computer is not really testing the internet speed. 

Doesn't matter how you connect.  You're not testing the Internet if you don't actually go out to the Internet.  Testing against your ISP's servers isn't going out to the Internet.  That's why TestMy.net is here.

Your ISP has control over the quality of peering and bandwidth in and out of their network.  

If your ISP is in the UK, then it should be a very quick hop over to my UK servers.  As long as your ISP is delivering that won't affect the final result.  There would be little to no difference if all the connections between are running with capacity available.  Any good ISP in that scenario would have at least multiple 10 GbE peers, meaning that the route between the ISP and TestMy.net should never be the weakest link... unless it's over capacity.

It's a red flag if an ISP tells you that only testing against their server's is accurate.  And like I said, it doesn't make sense in the first place.  Your ISP's servers are not the Internet, that's your host's network... before the Internet.  It's a part of the Internet but if that's your host, their network is your network.  A step above your local area network but we're not really out to the wider Internet.

TestMy.net is actually testing your connection out to the Internet.