latency

Guest Aureus

Guest Aureus

my latency good at amazon and singapore, how can i get dns singapore or amazon? or just change the ip to singapore to take the good latency?

Using DNS in Singapore doesn't really help for your latency to the server.

Latency is like the time it takes for you to send a message to your friend and for them to respond. In the world of the internet, when you click on something or ask your computer to do something online, it sends a request to another computer far away. Latency is how long it takes for that request to reach the other computer and for you to get an answer back. If it takes a long time, everything online feels slow, like when you're waiting for someone to respond to a text.

When you ask your computer to load a website, it sends a message to another computer far away called a server. That server holds the information for the website you want. The message travels through wires, cables, or even space (if it’s using satellites!), and when the server gets it, it sends the website information back to your computer the same way. The time it takes for the message to go to the server and back to your computer is what we call latency. The quicker it travels, the faster things load!

You can't improve this unless you're able to take a shorter path to the server.  The physical distance creates unavoidable latency... the speed of light is the limiting factor.

What the Latency Test is showing you is that servers in Singapore will perform best for you.  Amazon is hosted on a CDN (content delivery network) so when you request using that test it pulls from a server closer to you automatically.

To improve latency over long distances, here’s how it works:

1. Use servers closer to you: Imagine a game of telephone. The closer the person, the quicker the message gets to you. Using servers that are closer (like a local one instead of one far away) speeds things up.

2. Optimize the route: Think of taking the quickest path home. By using smarter routes (like special internet paths called "content delivery networks"), the message travels faster, just like choosing a shortcut.

3. Use faster connections: Just like a fast car on a highway, using better internet connections helps the message travel quicker, even over long distances!

I use the my Internet Service Provider (ISP) DNS closer to my location on the router and sometimes on the computer DNS cloudflare: 1.1.1.1   1.0.0.1 on the computer.
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

Some users prefer google 8.8.8.8  8.8.4.4 or Quad9 Security 9.9.9.9 

I like DNS Jumper V2.3 to find wich DNS is faster every hour and wich days of the week.

I hope this was useful. 

DNS Jumper V2.3.png

10 October 2024
Dear friends
My fiber optic Internet speed is 500/100Mbps. The Router is Fiber Gateway, Wi-Fi 6 model GR 141/140 made by Altice Labs in Portugal.

The ISP in Portugal is MEO - Serviços de Comunicações e Multimédia, S.A. da Altice
GPON up to 1000/400Mbps.
XGS-PON up to 8000/8000Mbps. 

The ISP in USA is Optimum Fiber by Altice with Internet speeds up to 8000/8000Mbps XGS-PON

My present location is near: 39º North, 31º West.
Closer test ping:  212.55.137.233 - MEO Ponta Delgada,  pd1.meo.pt

The latency and speed tests on Testmy.net are accurate.

https://testmy.net/latency?gID=a3mh3b8v7c

The main submarine cable to reach mainland Portugal, Europe is Columbus-III Azores-Portugal.

https://www.submarinecablemap.com/submarine-cable/columbus-iii-azores-portugal

My latency starts at +32ms ( Lisbon, Portugal ) to the rest of the world and for example: 
London - 32+26=58ms
Miami - 32+131=163ms

image.png.658a663e608637ce3ccd2f66b3102ab7.png

The new Technoly in fiber otics "XGS-PON" have lower latency and also the Routers with Wi-FI 6 and 7 (wireless) 
I have Wi-Fi 5 routers since 2015, like Asus, AC1900, TP Link AC1200, 1900, Tenda AC 1200, Xiaomi AC 1200, 2100. Just to remember 1 000ms is 1 (one) second, that´s why and I don´t wory with router latency, and i´am not going to install low orbit satellite internet to have a few milliseconds less in some cases.
Gamers online should use cable RJ45 like CAT 6.
That`s all I remember about "unloaded" latency

Under load latency is another story
Test with inexpensive Router with QSO and bandwidth limits. 

MTU is perfect: 1500 (1472+28).
image.thumb.png.ae7b250a44028cc79ae2a61193e609eb.png