computer temp......

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

I have on the front of my tower a Temp Gage. Were would be the best spot in my computer to put the wire for this? Right now I have it next to the cpu. Shows about 95 degrees. Any ideas?

Depends on what you want to keep track of. I'd prefer to leave it on the CPU myself. If you had more leads, I'd put on on my mobo, video card and possibly in the case somewhere. You need to be extremely careful placing these too.

Guest helloimtim

I am running 3200 atholon chip with a 128 5500 agp card. The chip is 32 bit. Have a kv8-x motherboard. The fans I run are 120 in the back and 80 in the side. Do have room for another 120 fan in the front I may add. Finally got my dual drives set up right a 60 for the master and 80 for the slave. Xp on the master 2000 on the slave. Since this was my first computer build I forsure didnt want to go real high dollar. The next one I build will run a pci-e card with a 64 chip. For now this system is fine. Learned tons during this build. Could only get the duals to work right if I installed xp first then 2000. Strange. I figured it would have to be just the oppisite. I can over clock this system. I wont though. Its fast enough and fine for now..

Be sure to place the thermal sensor next to the cpu, and not directly on top of it. The cpu sits almost center (or sometimes dead center, depending on the design), so tape the sensor to the left or right side of it. That will give you a more accurate temperature. Placing it directly on top of the cpu will lower the chances of effective cooling, which would, in turn, cause you to run hot.

Is that 95 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? Fahrenheit would mean that you are running great temps.

Guest helloimtim

That would be Fahrenheit. Not sure what normal would be?  Again its right on the cpu itself. I will probally move it. All it does is mesure the temp for me. Has no control over my fans. Fans run full blast all the time.

AMD Athlon XP

Processor Specifications Model Number Operating Frequency (MHz) Nominal Voltage Max Die Temperature

1500+ 1333 1.75V 90 Degrees Celsius

1600+ 1400 1.75V 90 Degrees Celsius

1700+ 1467 1.75V 90 Degrees Celsius

1800+ 1533 1.75V 90 Degrees Celsius

1900+ 1600 1.75V 90 Degrees Celsius

2000+ 1667 1.75V 90 Degrees Celsius

2100+ 1733 1.75V 90 Degrees Celsius

Basically good rule of thumb is to not let your temps get over 50 Deg C under load. Though the chip may run at temps hotter than this, they can become unstable and cause problems. Also temps over 50 DEg. C are hard on the chip and will degrade it after awhile.