PC building resource

FallowEarth

Guest helloimtim

It depends on how much you want to spend. With me and my first build I really did not go real high dollar because if I messed something up replaceing would not be that expensive. I went with the asus k8v-x in my barebones system from computer solutions. While I am still only useing the 32 bit chip replaceing it with the 64 will be no problems. My motherboard will support it. It has a crash free bios so if and when I want to play with overclocking (which I already have and decided not to mess with it) it was pretty much idiot proof. As far as intel vs amd honestly I see no big diffrence. Buddy of mine has the intel latest greatest chip and I see no diffrence speed wise between his and mine. Dual drives are really a good idea. Get nortons ghost 9.0 and back up C drive to D and D drive to C. Saved me tons of times. Long story short While I did not go the cheepest and did not go the most expensive either. Middle of the road cost wise.

Guest helloimtim

It could be done depends on how much of your computer can be salvaged for this build. With the site I recomended I am willing to bet you can get the barebones you want then just figure in your head what the rest will cost. Your cd burner, ram, harddrive....Can you use most if not all from your present computer?

I was reading in PC World June 13 2005 ed. about Intel's new P4 EE 840 dual core CPU's.  It looks to be ok, but doesn't seem to perform any better than AMD's 64-bit processors.  Also, it only seems beneficial to work with applications that have been written especially for multi-threading technology, where older single-threaded programs run not as well.  Maybe there are some kinks to work out yet. 

I was wondering what y'all think about the new stuff, if its worth it at this point in the game, and if the market is gonna move that way.  The price tag will come down in time I'm sure, but are single-threaded CPU's going to become obsolete in the near future?

Guest helloimtim

They are always changing. In time almost every compuer become useless. Personally I would just go with a good 32 cpu and jump to 64 after its been out there awhile. See how it all goes. Newer is not always better. My motherboad will support the 64 bit. I am running the 32 bit. Wait and see. I will suggest for motherboard you may want to go ahead and get the pci e slot. I am not really that hardcore of gammer. So agp is fine.

They are always changing. In time almost every compuer become useless. Personally I would just go with a good 32 cpu and jump to 64 after its been out there awhile. See how it all goes. Newer is not always better. My motherboad will support the 64 bit. I am running the 32 bit. Wait and see. I will suggest for motherboard you may want to go ahead and get the pci e slot. I am not really that hardcore of gammer. So agp is fine.

helloimtim, do you mind if i ask what motherboard you have?

Guest helloimtim

Motherboard with pci-e. The pci-e is the next step in graphics cards. PCI went to agp. Agp to pci-e. If your a gamer it may save you from haveing to replace your motherboard for abit longer than you would with just agp.