slow roadrunner with norton

stingray

RR has been very weird lately, sometimes the speeds are fast as usual, but sometimes it just slows down incredibly, sometimes even disconnecting me for like an hour

why cant texas have anything besides RR???? why?????? y not all those fast companies like cox or comcast or w/e it is that gives u like 6000kbs??? why??????????

i run w98 because i have a cad program that wants $1500 to upgrade to allow it to run on anything newer. cpu 466 383 ram resources are always over 80%

I could be wrong here, but my guess is the cpu. Norton antivirus and Firewall take alot of background cpu usage. They filter all traffic. To be 100% sure ask support here http://www.symantec.com/index.htm

good luck

VanBuren :)

:( running win 98se and have dl speed of only 974 with norton on and 1300 with norton off. whats slowing my connection speed have 80 % resources free and 383 ram. what gives. wheres the 5 times as fast stuff??? what can i do to get it moving :?::?:

:) First let me welcome you to the site I hope you enjoy, lots of good info being shared...........I was running 98se some time back and testing on this site(ya know when everything was in black and white...lol)Norton did really slow down my connection,the way I found out is was not using anything and then installed Nortons and wow really killed my speed. I liked Norton but I changed to McAfee on the 98se and no problem with my speeds. ( I know there are a lot of NON McAfee fans) I have been running Win xp home for over a year and a half and there is a big difference instead of 98se..... so if you can find a copy of some other pgm I think your speed will increase, in my opinion its way to risky now not to run a anti virus pgm.....but I know people that still do......I guess it makes life more exciting....lol ..good luck:)

8) Microwave