Use computer as router/firewall?

lorne

I have 2 computers connected to a hub. One is only being used for a program similar to folding at home. I would like to make that computer into a hardware firewall+proxy. But as of right now i cannot figure out how to do this and no luck finding anything on the net.

I have found how to do it if i turn the 1 box into a linux box but can't do that because it is my GF's computer and even though she never uses it she would be pissed if i put linux on there :)

My computer is running XP Pro and hers XP Home.

Any help on this would be appreciated :)

I have my computer bridged... I used 2 NICs, one to my router and another to the hub in my room, which goes to my other computers.  All you have to do is select the 2 connections, right click them, and click bridge... I think anyway, I did it a while ago...

Hi All.......

I checked out smoothwall and it sounds good to me,

My main question would be, can I still use my router ?

what I am thinking is put 2 NIC's in the old puter I have and hook the cable modem to 1 and then run from the other NIC to the WAN on the router and then the out ports to my other 3 PC's.

should that work ?

Thanks...... :)