Killer school connection

mitchell_s

comps sorta slow......PIII 863 256mb of ram

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is: 1338 Kbps about 1.3 Mbps (tested with 579 KB)

Upload Speed is: 163 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line: 24 times faster than 56K you can upload 1MB in 6.28 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=51GI0Q0G1

• 3 weeks later...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 12057 Kbps about 12.1 Mbps (tested with 12160 KB)

Download Speed is:: 1472 KB/s

Bottom Line:: 215 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 0.7 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=DIX96M107

Connection is: 858 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 386 KB)

Upload Speed is: 105 KB/s

Bottom Line: 15 times faster than 56K you can upload 1MB in 9.75 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=GT0AIHDCL

I dont know... I upload on the internet at about 140ish and my upload tests at 1.2mbps.. If you figure in the overhead is should put me right around the 152 converted.. I have no idea what type of connection I have here at Purdue.. but it is fast.. :roll:

:) I understand VanBuren's point, and it makes sense to me,a school with that amount of download speed and a weak up load....hmmmm it is strange,but only CA3LE GUY will know the answer for sure .....Iam certain were gonna find out soon....and it has peaked my interest:)

8) Microwave

how did you got that fast?? some T1 connection mybe? :?:

A T1 is about tenth of that download. It's about equal to the upload, however...

I would imagine that upload sorta sucks due to throttling/other users. I would imagine that a line that fast is some sort of a symetrical fibre line. This means that the download and upload speed would be the same. Most likely the administration doesn't want large volumes of data to be uploaded, or possibly other users are utilizing more uploading than downloading. Strange, but possible.

A T1 is about tenth of that download. It's about equal to the upload

I always here about T-1's and i know they are pretty fast. I'm a senior right now so I'm visiting colleges and stuff. When i went to "Red Letter Day" at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln they were talking about advantages of living in the dorms and stuff. He said each room has two internet hook ups and they have a T-1 connection. Right now im thinking he might have been wrong because it really doesn't seem like a big campus (10,000 students) like that can run on only 1.544 MB/s. My bro lives in the dorms there and he said the internet isn't slow, but i dunno if its fast because he isn't really an internet junkie like myself :wink: . Do you guys think they might actually have like a T-2 or T-3?

ok here is how it works.. they tell you that because they know that it is fast.. so they think that it is T1.. but really it is ethernet that is connected to a fat backbone.. I run normally 6000-8000kbps download and about 1.2-1.5 upload.. I am regulated to 3 gigs of up and 3 gig of down each day.. My guess is that Purdue is on some kind of OC line..

I always here about T-1's and i know they are pretty fast. I'm a senior right now so I'm visiting colleges and stuff. When i went to "Red Letter Day" at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln they were talking about advantages of living in the dorms and stuff. He said each room has two INTERNET hook ups and they have a T-1 connection. Right now I'm thinking he might have been wrong because it really doesn't seem like a big campus (10,000 students) like that can run on only 1.544 MB/s. My bro lives in the dorms there and he said the INTERNET isn't slow, but i dunno if its fast because he isn't really an INTERNET junkie like myself :wink: . Do you guys think they might actually have like a T-2 or T-3?

:) A T1 ckt was originally designed for phone systems,basically a T1 has 28 channels that allowed a business to essentially have 28 lines and not pay the charge for 28 different telephone numbers.also they used it for DID (direct inward dialing) so when someone called a business they got system dialtone and dialed the persons extension.The advantage was a company could give each employee their own pvt telephone number (up to 99)without again getting individual 1FB'S from the telco.There was a big battle when this first started with the phone company saying they were getting cheated out of revenue,in fact it was them screwing the customers.When the computer age got revved up and people weren't happy with 56k the Interconnects said,hey we can show you a cheaper faster way to network your remote offices and save money.Of course it has continued to evolve,but T1's are still in widespread use and have continued to change the way company's operate.The next thing that changed the integration of phones to computers was VOIP,and it will continue to evolve,just like when voice mail came into common use,all this is,is a P.C. with a voice board integrated to a phone line......Amazing to me is the old stuff is still out there in use,there a still a few businesses that are using a machine that uses an 8track tape as a call sequencer.....lol

8) Microwave

No offence CA3LE but i think the upload test is very inaccurate for these types of connections.

VanBuren :)

Connection is: 778 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 386 KB)

Upload Speed is: 95 KB/s

Bottom Line: 14 times faster than 56K you can upload 1MB in 10.78 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=B3LCJSXRV

as tested from Toast.net which is another accurate upload speed test (what I use to test my servers upload speed)

You uploaded 1,505,462 bytes in 19 seconds. Your upload speed is 634 kbps.

I just tested via FTP and got 103.69 KB/s or 849.43 Kbps -- so though the score vary... it's not much off.

Testing with DSLReports it gives an unrealistic 1161 Kbps -- a little optimistic given that FTP uploaded slower than that

The upload test USED to be pretty inaccurate, but to date it has suprised even myself how accurate it has become ;-) --- may not show the number you WISH for, but then again... my site isn't here to lie to you... ;-)

just a little note on that comment... no offense taken.

wow, I just tested at DSL reports (not my home connection) hot got this result.

Your download speed : 1369103 bps, or 1337 kbps.

A 167.1 KB/sec transfer rate.

1337 YO!

Something strange is indeed happening with the u/load test though.... Normaly it works fine for me, but for some reason I've been getting this....

ERROR :: 948 :: Uhhhhh, you got under 1 Kbps ~~ I don't calculate that low... try testing with a larger size. (sucks to be you)

And well, being that I'm sitting on a DS3 I find that hard to believe.... I'll try again in a bit.

Toast.net gives me this....

You uploaded 3,932,214 bytes in 4 seconds. Your upload speed is 7,864 kbps.

DSL Reports gives me this....

Your upload speed : 9360374 bps, or 9140 kbps

Just letting you know so you can check it out... dunno if something's wrong or not

Jesus H Christ! where the hell do you have that connection' date=' your work?[/quote']

Yeah, my office is pretty well "endowed".... I was very happy when the company moved into this complex... Cool thing is, I can use it how I want to, so as soon as I can afford it, I am going to build another machine for a game server.