logon help

duffman1234

That is under users.. it is on the control panel.. click users or user accounts.  Then on the top or the top left it is going to be called Change the way users log on.  I think it is the first check box.  that should being you to the blue ms page that allows you to click the user icon to log that person on..  Sorry i am doing this from memory.. I am pretty sure that is correct.. the name might be different.. but that is how it would be done.

thanks i got it working, i only had one account, i needed to make another one

thanks 4 the help

its just my startup has been really slow, the thing beside the tool bar loads very slowly

Glad you got it goin'!  I'm not sure what you are talking about with the toolbar though.  Could you post a creenprint maybe?

you know here msn buddy icon is and other tasks are there, those icons load up slower than they used to be. it takes a while now.

Ahh, your systray.......  Have you added any new programs that start up when you boot and if so, did the problem start occurring at that point? 

Im just saying it might be the problem, but im also 70% sure it is the problem, the program i used was tune-up optimzer. http://www.tune-up.com/

Never used that software so I can't help you with that but have you done the standard spyware, malware, virus scanning to see if you picked up a bug along the way?  (www.lavasoft.com for Ad-Aware is a pretty good adware scanner, so is http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/ for spybot search and destroy.)

hey i found out the problem, it turns out windows firewall is slowing me down. i went to secuirty center and i disabled it but when i restart and my comp starts up its on at the beggining then it turns off

How can i fix that? Or do i get another firewall or something?

its annoying i turn off firewall restart then it turns on, then mabye 30 secs after startup is done it turns off

help!

Ok, here's what you do... go into the security center, Click on Windows Firewall under the Manage security settings for: area.  Turn it off (if it isn't already), click ok.  Now the Firewall section under Security essentials should be red. click on it to expand it, then click the Recommendations button.  Check the box "I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself..."

Click ok, restart, and see if that fixes it :)

hey,

i tried that and still same problem, i think it is becuase i installed a firewall and mabye tahts why its happening, i deleted all firewalls i had and still same problem. It is like the computer thinks i still have the firewall but it realizes it doesnt have it then it changes status.

I installed sygate and Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2006 but both deleted

you can try this..

"If you have a small Windows network at home, see if disabling the Windows Firewall service crashes the "Computer Browser" service within minutes and it will not stay running. This may affect your ability to browse your network. I found instead you should disable your firewall through local group policy:

Start / Run / gpedit.msc Go to Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Network / Network Connections / Windows Firewall / Standard Profile and adjust "Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections" to "Disabled". This serves the purpose of disabling the firewall but allows the computer browser service to operate as usual. If you do this on a notebook, remember to install an additional firewall or reverse the setting when you travel!!" extremetech.com

Nothing much changes interms of the windows firewall and performance between SP1 and SP2, if you want to make the choice to be more insecure with SP1 that's your problem, but you won't gain much from doing so.

You basically have only one or two options in terms of free firewalls, and I know that zonealarm is one of them, you will be much better off with SP2 firewall than with that imo.