Secure you WLAN with out the hassle..

Swimmer

McAfee announced today that it has released a software product aimed at protecting consumer wireless networks.

The company said its McAfee Wireless Home Network Security 2006 provides "industry standard, automatic protection" against data theft, unauthorized network access and broadband

the problems is that most people know about it but dont do it..  WEP is hackable but that doesnt really matter.. you need like 300,000-3 million packets to get the key.. 

For people like us it is not a hassle.. but for the people who pay the geek squad 50-150 bucks to do it.. it is..  It is all in the interst of protecting the users from leachers..

what part of "turn on wep encryption" do they consider a hassle? :whaa:

the part where you have to go to every computer and type the code in..

the part where you have to go to every computer and type the code in..

that can get tricky... especially since you have to put the key in the right field :shock:

:haha:

took me a few minutes to figure that one out the first time I set up a wireless network lol

thyen use wpa. i get a greater speed loss with it, but supposedly it's safer. and it uses handy passphrases, easier to remember and enter. besides, the average user won't need to enter the code on more than 2 or maybe 3 tops machines anyhow.

That is true.. but most of the time they struggle with the install.. opening a case of a computer can be a scary experience for some..  and it can take up 20 mins of a noob to get the card in, drivers installed, and then connected to the net.. that is upwards of a hour to get a 2 computer wifi network installed includeing the time that it takes them to plug in the router and read the instruction manual to figure where all of the cables go..  not everyone is an expert..

people installing wlan in a desktop should get their head examined anyhow. and new laptops have it a standard equipment.

What if they have one desktop on the other side of the house and don't want to have to drill holes everywere? I've installed coax once for two rooms by myself. Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks.