Sound issue with new board

resijs

I got an another problem now...

Although I'm happy to report that I'm using my new computer now, there is a BIG issue with sound.

Static STATIC static!! STATIC

I updated the chipset and audio drivers, and it had no effect on this issue.

The more sound that goes through the more static to cover it up, please... Is this a setting issue, or what?

Check the wire to your sound card from the speakers, uplug it then plug it back in a couple of thimes.  If you have another 'puter, try the speakers on the other machine to see if it might be the wiring/speakers instead of your soundcard.  Sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

Okay, so now I'm trying to update my BIOS.

So, I make a startup disk, make another disk with the awdflash.exe and the bios file pt88asA4.BIN..

I start it up, no problems, backup my old bios, than I go to program it... It all fails, red bars (which are noted as failed) And 2 bars that say they don't need to be updated....

No error messages, just tells me to restart.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need a certain setting in BIOS? Do I need to clear my CMOS first? :(

thankyou

Can anyone tell me what the red voltages pertain to? This might be some of my problems, but doubtably anything to do with sound.

Those should be 12, 3, -12 and 5 volts respectively, and yours are way below that. You might want to try replacing your power supply.

k, I flashed my BIOS.

It fixed alot of stuff, made me faster. I can play Half-Life 2 with no problems now.

Half-Life 1 has an issue where I lose my PS/2 components (Keyboard, mouse is on USB now.) and I still lose sound there.

And the static is still there, but I think I'll just get a PCI sound card.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1111756&CatId=107

Motherboard is a Mach Speed PT88AS.

Built in Sound card, thus South Bridge is VT 8237.

Less specifically - VIA AC'97.

One thing which could quite possibly be the cause of your static is the volume controls. Try muting the CD Player & Line In options. (Pic Below)

Those 2 settings have been known to cause hissing/static.

Before you go out and get a new sound card, what drivers/application are you using? From the looks of your system tray, I'm assuming it's from Realtek as I have the same icon.

Being that your sound is AC'97 6-Channel CODEC Compliant, and if you are going to continue to use Realtek's offering, you should get the application directly from them.

New drivers were just released on 11/7 and they work great! :) That's for my setup which uses Realtek or Nvidia audio software.

My motherboards' homepage offers drivers from Realtek and Nvidia, but the Realtek software is older now because of consistent releases from them and DFI not updating as often as needed.

The latest drivers are here: Realtek AC'97 Audio CODECs (Pic of latest version number below. Is yours the same?)

I've installed these very drivers on a system with a VIA AC'97 Codec Combo Driver - Enhanced Audio Controller and they didn't work well.

The sound was distorted and produced static as you stated. Chipset specs are (North Bridge = VIA VT8377, South Bridge = VIA VT8235).

If the latest version of Realtek's offering doesn't solve your problem, get the latest software from VIA Arena here: VIA Vinyl Audio driver (Direct Download Link).

I was redirected to these drivers straight through your motherboard's homepage here: Mach Speed X-Caliber PT88AS. Drivers link will go to VIA Arena. :)

I highly recommend this package because VIA's offering has a different software solution which has been tried & tested with VIA's 8237 South Bridge. It's the best option for you. :)

Uninstall the previous software and reboot before using the latest version of either one of the apps above.

If you've already been there, done that...disregard. :)

By the way, are you using "VIA Hyperion Pro Version - 5.04A" or "VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 Version - 4.56v" chipset drivers?

Now that's what I call a quality reply!  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, that realtek driver was what I got with the motherboard, and the one from the via arena is what I'm using now.

edit: oops, I had the pro version, I'll try the 4in1 one now, lol.

What's the differences?

Ah the raid driver, if that's all than why should I be concerned with that? :)

k, tried the new realtek, no effect... But I think I like it better for the name. :P

Now that's what I call a quality reply!  :thumbsup:

Thxz.  :D

Realtek drivers are for your sound.

"VIA Hyperion Pro Version - 5.04A" & "VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 Version - 4.56v" are chipset drivers (which should be installed first above anything).

The pro package is definitely better. :)

When you say that the Realtek drivers are what was packaged with your motherboard, you mean that Realtek software is what's offered on your motherboard's setup disc correct?

If this is true, then the latest Realtek drivers are what's needed for your software to run properly and not the VIA package.

I suppose either will work, but I'd go with what's on the actual disc, but the latest downloaded version. :)

Problems solved.

My PSU is an OKIA-420ATX and here's a review with an identical situation with the same PSU, but everything else is different.

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive10-2005-2-152237.html

All my problems, even about the voltage.

It is a realtek sound chip, so I'm sticking with the driver and the static issue has been quelled as well. Simply put, my old audio was weaker than my new audio. lol

Thanks guys!