Download Speed Changes Drastically!!!

jalifonso

Hello Guys

Thanks to Vanburen and the rest of the guys that replied to my first post, I have configure my connection to work in optimum speeds. Everytime i do a speed test I get an average of 183 kbs (my connection is 1536/256, cable modem). I have one little problem. I get 183kbs  in the speed test when the test is done during the morning or very late at night. When i tried the test during prime time is usually get around 30kbs. I thought cable would consistlently deliver the speed advertised. Do I share bandwith with the people around my house? Is it that why my connection speeds changes? Is there anything i can do?

Thanks guys from all over the world hahaha

hello from Puerto Rico!

Hi,

Yes when you have a cable connection you do share bandwith with your neighbors, anyway you should be getting pretty close to advertised speeds, in your case at least 1.2Mbps, also you mention you get 183Kbps but didnt specify up or down,anyway seems to me its upload. If thats your down speed you have a big problem, go to www.speeguide.net

BTW, Im also from Puerto Rico

Hola Rammolo

Thanks for the help. Actually 183 kbps is my download, the highest i hav egot is 204kbps and it was only once. Don't know how. I my ISP is Liberty since Adelphia doesn't work in Dorado. I wish I had that 4Mbps. Let me know if you have a messenger were we can discuss my problem and maybe you can help me. Thanks.

No I haven't done a ping test. i read somewher ein the forum how to do it but i can't find it anymore. What do i type in the Run command? Do you want me to post it here? I thought my download speed was right (183kbs) for a 1.5 mbps/ 256 kbs connection speed. I hav ethe cable nut settings right now. I haven't tried the tcp optimizer. I will wait for your reply and then i will do the ping test. Thanks rammolo

No I haven't done a ping test. i read somewher ein the forum how to do it but i can't find it anymore. What do i type in the Run command? Do you want me to post it here? I thought my download speed was right (183kbs) for a 1.5 mbps/ 256 kbs connection speed. I hav ethe cable nut settings right now. I haven't tried the tcp optimizer. I will wait for your reply and then i will do the ping test. Thanks rammolo

If your DL speed is 183kBps, then you are good (1 Byte = ~8bits)

183 * 8 = 1464 (rough calculation, I won't go into detail. Tables are here)

I am ill and the math will give me a headache :D

Hello again,

Ping Test results:

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=48

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=134ms TTL=48

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=177ms TTL=48

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=218ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 67.18.179.85:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 134ms, Maximum = 218ms, Average = 172ms

Any comments?

Is kb/s...This is a speed test i just did while downloading a bittorrent file at 90kb/s.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 929 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 113 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Nov 18 00:52:44 UTC-0400 2005

Bottom Line:: 17X faster than 56K 1MB download in 9.06 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 52.05 % faster than the average for host (109.215)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1FQH27Y6S

Is my ping test ok?