• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

TriRyan or anyone else. Liquid Cooling.....

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,530 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

The old standard is F8 key to set the BIOS defaults, then F10 to save. Is that your key, I do not know. I'm sure it'll say somewhere in there. That and if you bork it up to where it cannot init , then you might have a jumper on the board to reset. Or pop the battery for 30 seconds.

BTW, do they still burn in the CPU's or is that a by gone. When I do a new machine , it's rarely anymore anything special so there's no need to scribe lines.

mudmanc4.png sigimage.gif

#22 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Ok problem. First I switched gears and I started using "OCCTPT. http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/. It easier for me to understand. It when it shows an error. prime95 does the same, But Not getting BSOD on either. I changed all the settings you told me about. Still unable to find the voltage settings in my bios. Will look some more. So I cheated and used overdrive.

Now I am not getting any BSOD. Just not sure what to do about "core" errors. Do I up or reduce the voltage a bit? Or Is the multiplier the issue?

I set the voltage at 1.2500 with a multiplier of 17.5. That gave me a jump to 4.04. Ran OCCTPT, Getting a error in one of the cores. Maybe your right, Using overdrive to change my voltage and multiplier is the issue. Will hunt more for the CPU voltage in my BIOS. Found everything else.

#23 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ok problem. First I switched gears and I started using "OCCTPT. http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/. It easier for me to understand. It when it shows an error. prime95 does the same, But Not getting BSOD on either. I changed all the settings you told me about. Still unable to find the voltage settings in my bios. Will look some more. So I cheated and used overdrive.

Now I am not getting any BSOD. Just not sure what to do about "core" errors. Do I up or reduce the voltage a bit? Or Is the multiplier the issue?

I set the voltage at 1.2500 with a multiplier of 17.5. That gave me a jump to 4.04. Ran OCCTPT, Getting a error in one of the cores. Maybe your right, Using overdrive to change my voltage and multiplier is the issue. Will hunt more for the CPU voltage in my BIOS. Found everything else.

sounds good and yes core errors are basically instability in that core so it means you'll probably need a bit more voltage to increase the stability for that clock

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 955 BE Processor - 4.1GHz | MB: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3
RAM: Wintec XMP1600 DDR3 - 8.00GB @ 1600MHz | Video Card: Sapphire HD Radeon (Cypress XT) 5870 2GB | HDD0-3: 1.8TB
Network: Realtek 1Gb Ethernet, Asus 1Gb Switch, D-Link DIR-655, Motorola SB 6120
TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#24 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

You sir are the man. I got my very first stable overclock!!! Got it to 4.1. Not only did I get my very first stable overclock, The knowledge I got was amazing. I thank you. In case you want to teach others with this bios.

Change the bios Just like you said with one exception. For the ratio, Leave it on auto!

Then I fired up amd overdrive. Made Sure I wrote down its default Voltage and Multiplier. This Bios is really safe. If you mess up to bad, It will let you reset it to optimized settings no problem. REALLY noob friendly.

I started kinda Big. Went with 18 multiplier, Set it to 1.25v. Ran OCCPTP Got a core error. Bumped it up small amounts. Stable Voltage ended up being 1.30v.

Now I will Leapfrog it, With 1.30v I will Jump it up at first One full step. Will go from 18 to 19. Reboot, Then Run OCCPTP and adjust my voltage as needed to get it stable.

If the Full step becomes to much, Will jump it by half a step. Once I get it about maxed out, Or close, and Stable, Then I will Leave it be. Play my games, all that good stuff. If they become odd, May try to jump up the voltage a tad to help that out.

Now Will I leave it overclocked or not is unknown. Like you said, Won't notice any difference, Just wanna see how much I can overclock. Probably lean even more.

One thing is for sure, Yes I am keeping notes, Yes I will save the notes to txt file and keep them around, so if I do forget, There they are.

Can not tell you how much I appreciate your help on this. Always wanted to learn how to do it. Will I recommend others try it. NO!! I not only have liquid cooled system, I have a nice amd quad core chip that is fine from my old system that will fit fine in my outfit. Plus chances are I won't leave the cpu overclocked. My bet after I push it to the max, I will reset it to defaults. Just a learning experience for me. Nothing more.

I am off to push this cpu to its limit. See how far I can get it. Will let you know my final wont go any higher clock speeds and voltage. I am gonna TRY to back up the bios when I reach the max, When I go back to default, I will wait a bit, Load my saved bios just to see if I can figure it out, If everything is still ok fine. Just another learning experience.

Of course I will let you know my final results. Simply can not thank you enough. In fact, feel free to date my sister. You have my blessing LOL.

Edited by ninjageek, 21 February 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#25 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

Ok, Update. Got it to 4.15 stable. Ran OCCT for 30 min, LINPACK For another 30 Min, No errors, No issues. Man I Dig that OCCT program, Sweet you can run LINPACK from that Program plus Two other tests I have yet to play with.

Think I am Close to max on the cpu. Think 4.3 or so is top end. Have not seen anyone hit 4.5 yet. If they do would love to know how they did it. My guess they changed something I am missing like front side bus or something else. If you figure it out let me know. I am at 18 multiplier and 1.30 volts. Have not seen my Temps over 45c during testing.

I MAY run OCCT overnight, My guess it will be fine. Thats what my gut says.

#26 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Awesome news glad I could share my knowledge with someone else keep posting updates I want to know how you did :)

RAM: Wintec XMP1600 DDR3 - 8.00GB @ 1600MHz | Video Card: Sapphire HD Radeon (Cypress XT) 5870 2GB | HDD0-3: 1.8TB
Network: Realtek 1Gb Ethernet, Asus 1Gb Switch, D-Link DIR-655, Motorola SB 6120
TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#27 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Think I have reached my limit. I am at 4.5 stable running 1.325. Running Idle at 36c, Never saw it go over 45c while testing. The only way I was able to get it up this high was using Asus Suite 2, Used DIGI Plus VRM Tool.

CPU Load LIne Calibration and CPU current Cabpability are Maxed out. The CPU/MB current Capability is set to 120 Pecent and I left CPU/NB Line Calibration alone.

I am gonna leave it this way for a few days just to see how it goes. Play a few games and such. Bet its fine.

I confirmed the DIGI plus VRM tool settings. I backed everything off, the 4.5 settings Failed. Kicked them back up to what I had them set at passed no problem. Looking at the graphs wile testing, IMHO thats the limit. Now just have to play a few games, See how it does. Hope it passes.

Hope I was able to help you or a lurker with what I found out. Had so much fun.

Oh one last thing. GF was NOT crazy about me overclocking my cpu. It kinda scared her. I tried to tell her how safe it was. Then of course later I told her I messed up, I fried my CPU and Motherboard, No way will warranty cover it. She did not find that funny at all. I sure laughed when I told her I was lying.

For any Lurkers or anyone else reading this. Keep in mind I overclocked it so high because I have Liquid Cooling. I only did this to learn how to do it, I notice no difference in computer performance. My only piece of advice, if you want to learn how to overclock and everyone telling you DON'T DO IT !!!! Is not gonna stop you. Keep a Close eye on your temps, Don't leave it so high for very long. It can and will kill your CPU. I tried to warn you.

Edited by ninjageek, 21 February 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#28 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Think I have reached my limit. I am at 4.5 stable running 1.325. Running Idle at 36c, Never saw it go over 45c while testing. The only way I was able to get it up this high was using Asus Suite 2, Used DIGI Plus VRM Tool.

CPU Load LIne Calibration and CPU current Cabpability are Maxed out. The CPU/MB current Capability is set to 120 Pecent and I left CPU/NB Line Calibration alone.

I am gonna leave it this way for a few days just to see how it goes. Play a few games and such. Bet its fine.

I confirmed the DIGI plus VRM tool settings. I backed everything off, the 4.5 settings Failed. Kicked them back up to what I had them set at passed no problem. Looking at the graphs wile testing, IMHO thats the limit. Now just have to play a few games, See how it does. Hope it passes.

Hope I was able to help you or a lurker with what I found out. Had so much fun.

Oh one last thing. GF was NOT crazy about me overclocking my cpu. It kinda scared her. I tried to tell her how safe it was. Then of course later I told her I messed up, I fried my CPU and Motherboard, No way will warranty cover it. She did not find that funny at all. I sure laughed when I told her I was lying.

For any Lurkers or anyone else reading this. Keep in mind I overclocked it so high because I have Liquid Cooling. I only did this to learn how to do it, I notice no difference in computer performance. My only piece of advice, if you want to learn how to overclock and everyone telling you DON'T DO IT !!!! Is not gonna stop you. Keep a Close eye on your temps, Don't leave it so high for very long. It can and will kill your CPU. I tried to warn you.

great news man glad you did so well and i 2nd that! Overclocking is not for the weak stomach if you aren't careful you can really screw something up and it takes quite a bit of knowledge and practice to get good at it so please read up before you go trying to push your computer past its designed limits

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#29 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hope sometime when the mood strike you TriRan you try to beat that over clock. No I am not bragging in the LEAST bit. If it had not been for you my friend I would still be lost, I only ask you to try it so maybe you will find something that will allow you to push that bad boy to a solid stable 5.0!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! LoL.

I will say I am overgeeked out, think I have reached my limit, Something else will come along to change my mind and bring out the geek.

#30 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hope sometime when the mood strike you TriRan you try to beat that over clock. No I am not bragging in the LEAST bit. If it had not been for you my friend I would still be lost, I only ask you to try it so maybe you will find something that will allow you to push that bad boy to a solid stable 5.0!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! LoL.

I will say I am overgeeked out, think I have reached my limit, Something else will come along to change my mind and bring out the geek.

lol noo on liquid with this quad core 4.3GHz is the highest reported i've seen and they had a way better liquid cooler then i did as in not a closed loop system and a much much larger radiator :P you have inspired me to delve a bit deeper into OC'ing though and i've started to learn how to tighten memory timings to increase overclocking potential

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#31 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

Yea I have Seen messing with Ram will help with overclocks. Man that's a mountain I don't think I wanna climb. You just have all kinds of different brands and sizes of ram. Think getting the memory right would be super tough. Best of luck on it though. I did look at overclockers on ram, wow, that is one process I am not sure is worth the reward. I could be wrong.

IMHO, In all the overclock videos I have watched and seen, no mention of changing the ram settings. Unless they are doing it and not telling. Best of luck!!

#32 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Yea I have Seen messing with Ram will help with overclocks. Man that's a mountain I don't think I wanna climb. You just have all kinds of different brands and sizes of ram. Think getting the memory right would be super tough. Best of luck on it though. I did look at overclockers on ram, wow, that is one process I am not sure is worth the reward. I could be wrong.

IMHO, In all the overclock videos I have watched and seen, no mention of changing the ram settings. Unless they are doing it and not telling. Best of luck!!

so right now i'm using less voltage am sitting at about 4.01GHz ram is OC'd to 1780 and i've tightened my memory timings to 8-10-8-26 and using less voltage on my memory then before too the system as a whole seems to be running smoother

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#33 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

so right now i'm using less voltage am sitting at about 4.01GHz ram is OC'd to 1780 and i've tightened my memory timings to 8-10-8-26 and using less voltage on my memory then before too the system as a whole seems to be running smoother

Well??? How did you do it? Was it ddr 3 Ram? Think it can be done with the bios I have? LOL, Im gonna fry my computer, LOL LOL LOL.

#34 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

Well??? How did you do it? Was it ddr 3 Ram? Think it can be done with the bios I have? LOL, Im gonna fry my computer, LOL LOL LOL.

lol i found a guide on some steps to do it, it requires a flash drive and Memtest86 but it wasn't really all that hard i lowered my timings first then i OC'd a little differently instead of just using my multiplier i upped the FSB of my cpu which ups the ram speed and NB clock speed aswell once i got the timings down it was easy to get a stable overclock using the methods i taught you :P i'm only using 1.3994V on my cpu aswell i can probably up my CPU higher but its running so smooth right now i don't really want to touch it, know what i mean?

http://www.mastersla...ry-ram-timings/ this got me started on tightening my memory timings

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#35 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Oh Man, I so got the overclockers a bit excited. Told them I reached 4.5. Told them how I did it. Even gave them screen shots. One guy questioned my stress test, Told him used OCCT and LINPACK, ran both for a hour. Then I told them overclocking IMHO was pointless. Think that kinda got them wound up. Talking about how much it improved there system. (not buying it but whatever spanky) Just found it funny they got a little excited about my own personal opinion. Hey, Its your computer, do what ever you want.

After doing some research on memory timings, it seems like it could go either way, Tighten them up or Loosen them up, One or the other could help you reach a better overclock. I have 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz Ram Dual Channel. Been using google to see if changing it helps or hinders. So far it looks like it may help a bit, but not much. While I will do some research, My gut says DONT mess with it. To complicated, Wanna bet I try it anyway? lol. GF says I can't play with you anymore. She is scared your a BAD infulance on me. No worries she will get over it.

Oh come on dude. Crank that thing up. Don't be a girl. Easy to talk trash when its not your own computer don't ya think?. All kidding aside, Yea, Can understand that. Sometimes its best to go with your gut.

Edited by ninjageek, 23 February 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#36 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Oh Man, I so got the overclockers a bit excited. Told them I reached 4.5. Told them how I did it. Even gave them screen shots. One guy questioned my stress test, Told him used OCCT and LINPACK, ran both for a hour. Then I told them overclocking IMHO was pointless. Think that kinda got them wound up. Talking about how much it improved there system. (not buying it but whatever spanky) Just found it funny they got a little excited about my own personal opinion. Hey, Its your computer, do what ever you want.

After doing some research on memory timings, it seems like it could go either way, Tighten them up or Loosen them up, One or the other could help you reach a better overclock. I have 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz Ram Dual Channel. Been using google to see if changing it helps or hinders. So far it looks like it may help a bit, but not much. While I will do some research, My gut says DONT mess with it. To complicated, Wanna bet I try it anyway? lol. GF says I can't play with you anymore. She is scared your a BAD infulance on me. No worries she will get over it.

Oh come on dude. Crank that thing up. Don't be a girl. Easy to talk trash when its not your own computer don't ya think?. All kidding aside, Yea, Can understand that. Sometimes its best to go with your gut.

lol!! your girlfriend is pretty funny... i'm actually trying to help you so you don't screw anything up :P imagine if you were trying to do it with no clue what you were doing now that could permanently damage something :P

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#37 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

It seems from what I have seen on the overclockers forum, Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz Ram is hard to overclock. Well I mean you can overclock it, but you loose it when you overclock the cpu.

Yea we are always giving each other crap. We like to laugh. Think thats why we lasted so long. She is pretty funny. She was only kidding when she said that. She is clueless on the geek side of computers. Think thats one reason she keeps me around, HONEY my computer is acting funny, fix it. LOL.

While I could be wrong, I think using that AI Suite 2 and changing the settings in it, imho was the answer to reach it. I had such a hard time reaching 4.5. Said to heck with it, Cranked up the settings in that, and there ya go.

Still stand firm, im most cases, doing it is pointless IMHO. Putting in a Solid state hard drive Will really make your computer snappy. The 120 on windows 7 is lots of space. Have room for the OS, Still have 80 gig free. I use a couple of sata drives for extra storage, I have to 500 gig sata drives.

Not sure if the Man in charge would do it. Think having a "overclockers" Sub forum would be kinda handy. Just a Idea. Yes I know, Seems kinda strange my stance of overclocking to want a sub forum. Well, there has to be other people like me, wanting to learn. Just a thought.

Edited by ninjageek, 23 February 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#38 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

It seems from what I have seen on the overclockers forum, Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz Ram is hard to overclock. Well I mean you can overclock it, but you loose it when you overclock the cpu.

Yea we are always giving each other crap. We like to laugh. Think thats why we lasted so long. She is pretty funny. She was only kidding when she said that. She is clueless on the geek side of computers. Think thats one reason she keeps me around, HONEY my computer is acting funny, fix it. LOL.

While I could be wrong, I think using that AI Suite 2 and changing the settings in it, imho was the answer to reach it. I had such a hard time reaching 4.5. Said to heck with it, Cranked up the settings in that, and there ya go.

Still stand firm, im most cases, doing it is pointless IMHO. Putting in a Solid state hard drive Will really make your computer snappy. The 120 on windows 7 is lots of space. Have room for the OS, Still have 80 gig free. I use a couple of sata drives for extra storage, I have to 500 gig sata drives.

Not sure if the Man in charge would do it. Think having a "overclockers" Sub forum would be kinda handy. Just a Idea. Yes I know, Seems kinda strange my stance of overclocking to want a sub forum. Well, there has to be other people like me, wanting to learn. Just a thought.

yeah i am using A-DATA memory its actually their flagship memory i bought it because i heard it OC'd well plus its got an XMP-black profile for my black edition CPU

btw not sure if you've ever seen my rig i got some pics uploaded here somewhere... aha found them

SAM_0033.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

the only thing i've changed since that picture is i added extra RAM i bought two more sticks of what i have in there so i'm sitting at 8GB

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#39 ninjageek

ninjageek

TMN Friend

• Sophist Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Now that is one SWEET looking rig. I will post pics of mine probably next week. I have some 120mm aftermarket fans on the way. Should be here in a few days. After I get them hooked up and running I will take some pics and upload them. I am gonna try something different with the fans. Common sense says have two 120 blowing air IN from the side panel. I want to see what happens if I reverse that and have them suck air out of the tower. If it fails, I will just switch them around and run them right. It looks like your tower has side loading bays for Sata and Sold State Drives? Am I seeing that right?

My fans are red. Do like the blue. My last set up was blue. Thought red would be a nice change. Dig the nice clean look of the inside. Well done. Thought about adding a light kit. After seeing them, Just not my cup of tea. REALLY like the 2 120s at the top if I am seeing right. Mine only has one. No color. Its 80mm stock. That one will be replaced with a red 120. I ordered 4 120mm Red Fans. 3 will go in right away, Not sure about the forth. I am sure I will find someplace or keep it set aside in case one dies.

I kinda like having a spare of most my stuff, Spare CPU,(always hang on to the old one I replaced). Thanks for the pics. Will post mine early to middle part of next week.

#40 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

thanks man! i also have spares laying around i have 3 or 4 spare cpu's that are the right socket for my MB laying around plus 8 GB of DDR3 gskill ripjaw i got for a shell shocker deal for like 29.99 with free shipping :P

and yeah everything you observed was correct i forgot i have made a couple changes, due to the push/pull on my radiator i had mounted on the back i could only have one door fan so i changed my setup a tad i put the radiator on my door instead and was able to get all the fans installed it's got 120mm fans all around it has slots for 140mm fans tho i just didn't feel like paying the extra money for them and i love cases like this where you can manage the cables really well thats my favorite thing about building a computer

anywho i think my PSU needs to be replaced its about two years old now and is not providing the power i need, its only a 550W psu and i never intended on running this graphics card with it the video cards is taking up almost 200W under full load and when that happens i can actually hear the strain on my psu the fan kicks up and it makes me cringe a little lol the gpu i was running before was an Nvidia 9800GTX+ basically the equivilant of a 260GTX it was a lot less card than this 5870 is you can actually see the old video card in that 2nd picture its about 2" shorter too lol
'
all in all i'm running 8 120mm case fans

3 exhaust ( 2 top 1 rear )

3 intake ( 1 side 1 bottom 1 front )

and 2 120mm fans on my cpu in push pull style setup on the 2nd fan slot in my door

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Speed Test Version 13.7
© 2013 TestMy Net LLC - TestMy.net - Legal - Advertise