Varible speed - What does this mean?

Sarah Sim

Hi Everyone,

I have had a problem with my connection for sometime, so I have been testing it using testmy.net.  My provider Eclipse has asked me to use BTW Performance Test.   Now my speed has improved a little, I am getting wildly different test results from both sites, why is this?

Results below:

Testmy.net

4nN7THJ.GOMhRnK.png

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Download speed(Mbps) 8.57

Upload speed(Mbps) 0.65

Ping latency (ms) 45.75

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.  I am in the UK. 

I am running OpenSUSE on my machine and the children are running Windows XP, all the machines get similiar results.

Regards

[EDIT] oops I noticed you were already testing the Amsterdam server. 

Try different mirrors even if out of the country, as it stands it could possibly be local network congestion. Either within your local network or simply a load on the ISP's network. 

What speed, or bandwidth are you expecting Or what are your advertised speeds ?

Hi from the states, 

Please run a test (or multiple) from the testmy.net Amsterdam test mirror.

You can find these optional mirrors HERE

Post your results if you would.

Thanks

Looking at your results...

post-2-0-44042400-1407984231_thumb.png

Maybe you're performing better on larger tests.  But maybe your connection is just fluctuating heavily.  Try manually selecting 12 MB instead of using the automatic options.

Go to the download speed test and select your size from the drop down menu.  Try at least 12 MB in your case.

post-2-0-18151700-1407984529_thumb.png

Going off one of your better results it appears to be oscillating, up and down.

https://testmy.net/db/1FCrgEz

post-2-0-82601800-1407993576_thumb.png

Testing with some of my more advanced options can shed more light...

Try mirrors, in your case, I suggest trying eu.testmy.net hosted in Amsterdam and CDN Push which uses the Cloudflare network.  Comparing to the TMN default options can help you track down routing issues.

Try the multithread speed test.  Focus on one server, mix it up or test them all at once... it's up to you.  Personally I get the best results when I focus on google.testmy.net or any combination of the US servers.  Internationally my performance drops.  Testing to EU I'll get like 25 Mbps then I multithread to the same server, same test size and I'll get like 60-70 Mbps.  

Most other speed tests out there are misleading, their aim is to deliver the best result possible.  They often only partially interpret data and multithread which masks issues that slow you down. They usually have a vested interest in giving you higher speeds.  TMN's aim is to help you by giving you all the options you need to get a full picture... so that you can improve your speed.  I leave it up to you how you use it and interpret the results.  Reading just the 'maximum' in the TiP details (within your TestMy.net download test results) gives you an idea how data can be manipulated to make it look better... they don't have to lie to be misleading.  Your final result at TestMy.net is based on complete calculations with no alteration.  From start to finish, everything is considered.  Other tests that only partially interpret the data will ignore the worst portions.  On connections that are running fine this isn't as much of a factor, on connections with issues the ignored portions inflate the score and again, multithreading inflates the score.  They do it in a way that favors themselves.  TMN's way favors you, the consumer.  Think about the potential profits in making customers think that everything is running correctly and that issues are a fault of the sites they visit. "Hey, don't complain to us, our test says everything is okay..." --- soooooooo many ISPs get away with it every day!

In my opinion there's a conflict of interest in ISPs using only their own speed test as reference.  Every day people tell me that their provider is forcing customers and their own techs to use ONLY the company speed test.  This is wrong.  You're entitled to a third party opinion... and with such flawed methodology out there you're even more entitled.  

I've been at this since 1996, a lot of people back up TMN's results... and they always have.  I hope in the future more providers will use TMN results, at least along side their own. Right now they're just making it harder on their customers, seriously simple issues go undetected.  That is of course until you come to TestMy.net and get the true scoop.  Even physical issues like bad modems can completely go unnoticed.  Read around here and ask people, some of the stuff we've seen is just ridiculous.

I recommend testing hard wired to your linux box if possible.  Eliminate your router and make sure that you're still displaying the same symptoms before moving forward.  You don't want to go complaining to them only to find out that it was your equipment, cables or something in your control.  Eliminate variables like your router, extra switches... get a more direct connection with short cables (> 6ft) if possible and run a download test.  If the speed improves then add variables back retesting in between, when your results drop you have your answer.  If your results are similar you can hook everything back up and continue testing confident that it's probably not the removed equipment because the symptoms existed either way.  If you manually select the same test size with TestMy.net nothing else changes between tests, this makes for a more scientific test bed. I confidently tune and experiment with connections knowing for a fact that the only thing affecting my results is my computer, network and uplink.  Only TestMy.net offers that level of control and piece of mind.  Highly reliable and stable platform, especially since v13.

I made TestMy.net so that I could check my speed and tune my connections / networks.  If there are changing variables and unknowns then the test wouldn't have helped me, at all.  Just keep in mind when you use this site, TMN wasn't a venture... it started as a tool that I built for myself that happened to accidentally get spidered by the search engines.  This is a 100% organically grown site, meaning that the people of the world made it popular... not advertising dollars or corporate deals.

Trust what your provider wants you to see or trust a third party who's been bandwidth testing longer than anyone.  I leave it up to you... 

Also read about altered test results out there.   :wink:  -- it's a very common practice.