which TCP optimizer?

tommie gorman

Which TCP optimizer is really the best? The reverands,Cablenuts, or Speed Guides. I hear alot  of conversation about each of them, mostly about Cablenuts. The reason I was wondering was I have been using the reverands with quite a bit of success. But didn't know if it made a whole lot of difference, although most people have a little bit better connection speed than I do, and I have been a little bit leary about going with some registry key changes. Although I have done most everything else. Not sure how to paste scores but average conection speed is usually around 1400, and like everybody else my download sucks. :? :? :?:?::?: :idea::arrow::whaa::confused1:

Also standard dway account,e-machines t6522,2G ram, no router,simple.

all the tcpoptimizers (all of them) do is change registry values. cablenut is nice because there are tons of premade settings combos and it is easy to enter your own values to experiment. you can save thos combos and switch back and forth to tinker, easily reset the registry to defaults (if you borked it) etc. etc. if you know what you're doing you can do it yourself or ask here and have someone recommend a premade settings file. you can even export your own to have someone try your settings if you think you found the optimum combo.

• 1 month later...

Just installed the cablenut 4.08 for xp, and gained 2KB/sec. TCP Optimizer loaded at 20.0 MB:Transfer Rate:111KB/sec at 9:42 PM, and cablenut loaded at 113KB/sec at 1:00 AM. Still not sure if cablenut is better. And if you use the Rev's in his post "http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1703" it is really easier to use than trying to figure out which file.

Could have actually been time of day that increased cablenuts.

Just an opinion!

I use both: first with TCP Optimizer and then Cablenut.

It is like TCP Optimizer gives you a general tuneup, and then Cablenut is used for fine tuning.

There are 3 parameter fields that cannot be manually tweaked by TCP Optimizer but accessable in Cablenut:

DefaultSendWindow

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize

TcpWindowSize

Just installed the cablenut 4.08 for xp, and gained 2KB/sec. TCP Optimizer loaded at 20.0 MB:Transfer Rate:111KB/sec at 9:42 PM, and cablenut loaded at 113KB/sec at 1:00 AM. Still not sure if cablenut is better. And if you use the Rev's in his post "http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1703" it is really easier to use than trying to figure out which file.

Could have actually been time of day that increased cablenuts.

Just an opinion!

Notice the time difference... 111kb/s at 9 PM, 113kb/s at 1 AM

Not sure what you mean exactly, but the internet traffic had died more for those 4 hrs. also. I'll run a few tests, but I don't think that "adding" cablenut to TCP optimizer helped any actually.

It means a lot actually.

I think there would be fewer people on at 1 AM in the morning than 9 PM at night, which would give you a little faster speeds.

Why didn't you just take the test right after each other?

What are the values in your ccs file for the following:

DefaultReceiveWindow

DefaultSendWindow

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize

TcpRecvSegmentSize

TcpWindowSize

Default Recieve Window:N/A

Default Send Window:N/A

Global Max TCP Window Size:N/A

TCP Window Size:125560(was using 125552 in TCP Optimizer

TransmitWorker:32

Enable PMTUDiscovery:1

Sack Opts:1

Tcp13230pts:1

TcpMaxDupAcks:3

TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer:0

MaxConnectionsPerServer:3

DefaultTTL:48

Rest blank.

I think you meant 127776 in TCP Optimizer as it is a multiple of MSS 1452.

So is your MTU 1492?

What are your ISP's advertised speeds for download and upload?

The most important settings are DefaultReceiveWindow and DefaultSendWindow. Why are they left blank?

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize should not be blank but should follow TcpWindowSize. 

Bird Fan I was researching it at the time again before deciding  to install it.

I think you meant 127776 in TCP Optimizer as it is a multiple of MSS 1452.

So is your MTU 1492?

What are your ISP's advertised speeds for download and upload?

The most important settings are DefaultReceiveWindow and DefaultSendWindow. Why are they left blank?

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize should not be blank but should follow TcpWindowSize. 

I only wrote what was in it. My MTU according to my TCP Optimizer is1500.

Something like 800 down don't know about up. I understand my cap is 1000 though, at least according to Bird Fan. Blanks were there already.

Cablenut_408_zipped.zip (805.76 KB - downloaded 8954 times.)

Did I leave out something?

There is no cap; it's just that no one downloads over that.

It sounds like you are actually saying there is no written law about how fast they can go then. No? I just thought according to previous posts that maybe there was! No not just here. Not trying to pick on you either.

So i assume that it is not that people might actually get better speeds, but that they might brag about untruthlful boasts. And if someone actually got better speeds, then you would be OK with that. Right!

OK so where do I find the cablenut settings for my setup, Bird Fan

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1013.0;attach=2784

or

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1013.0;attach=8996

It's not like they're going to do much anyway. What speed are you trying to accomplish?

Just constantly hearing about cablenut, and thought, you don't know till you try it. Any thing better. So confused about the whole thing anyway,especially lately with my test results seeming so high. Especially after that 20MB download test, earlier. Just makes me wonder. I am the same way with everything I do, why not try to do it alittle bit better. Thanks for the settings. Just gives me something to do I suppose.

Also allows me to answer others peoples questions in here if I am more informed. Kind of like one newbie I was answering to one time, I finally told him to read through the forum, suck down a soda, and chill. He was all antsy and I could not answer his question. I told him he would get an answer with in 24 hrs. And if not to repost shortly thereafter. You know.

Guys,

This was the link I found on DWAY when assisting angela641. She said she has the pro plan:

http://hns.getdway.com/HNS/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5BA88DE5C756665B4FA1951234C6C9B659%5D%5D

I gave her a ccs file for MTU 1460 to try at this post:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-12072.15

If your MTU is 1500, you need a new ccs file.

Well you were absolutly correct Birdfan, I ran all of van burens setups and did the 20MB tests 1/2 way, and version 7 looked the highest on test. So I ran it and TCP Optimizer, and a combo, all the way through the tests and they matched up scores. But things starting to really get a little slow on browsing in testmy.net. Plus it was getting real late so I went to bed. This afternoon I found out that things were way slower than ever. So I started redoing everything back from scratch. Man I will never touch cablenut ever again!! I am glad it works for most people, but definately not mine. Maybe it will work better on 4000 in Sept., but I will deal with that headache when it arrives. For now I will enjoy my speed bursts. :haha: :haha: :haha:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1214 Kbps about 1.2 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 148 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (server1)

Test Time:: Tue Feb 28 01:27:35 CST 2006

Bottom Line:: 22X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.92 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 33.41 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-M2LBHCTXF

:angry4::biggun: