Help with home network

lorne

Ok bear with me this may be lengthy and i may confuse myself. I have always had just 1 comp connected to the internet and never used a router or hub. I picked up a second computer and a hub both machines will run different parts of a game server.

Here are some specs

Both boxs are running Windows XP Pro, both connect with onboard Lan.

The Hub is: DaynaStar 16 port hub.

The main box will run the main gameserver only as it is the most resource hungry. The second box will run the login server and the MySQL database for the gameserver.

Problem: Both boxes need to be able to talk to eachother as well as be connectable by users. I only have 1 IP. I don't even know where to start on making this happen. Help me out if you can please.  :)

Lorne

Can't return the hub..and 10mb yes i believe so. I don't need more than that right now so its ok. There must be a way to do this through windows? If not i will have to wait until i can afford a router :(

Do you need 2 unique IP addresses?  If so, call up your ISP to get your modem provisioned for 2 IPs.

Otherwise, do either of the PC's have 2 NICs?  If not, can you connect your modem via USB?  I believe you can bridge USB to NIC.  This article may help: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxpbrdge.htm

Ok just noticed both computers can have net at same time. Seems the second computer grabbed another IP. How thars possible when i am only supposed to have 1 i don't know. I think this makes things a little easier?