Windows update installation problems

netmasta

First of all (Windows update problem below),

I was cleaning out my sisters' computer yesterday which was loaded with spyware/adware. :roll: I got most of it cleaned out using updated Spybot S&D and Adaware but I still get some pop-ups. I ran a scan a www.pcpitstop.com and there a few programs it doesn't have any info about. Its an HP notebook with XPSP1:

C:Program FilesHPQNotebook UtilitiesHPWirelessMgr.exe 

C:Program FilesHPQOne-TouchOneTouch.EXE

C:WINDOWSQbvqc.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32eskmond.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32mdl.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32mlang.exe

C:WINDOWSpgtaff.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32HPConfig.exe

C:WINDOWSvonuizn.exe

I am also having a problem with Windows Update. I can download the files from the site, but when I try to install them a message says "Installing...." then does nothing. No cpu or hdd activity.  The comp. is XP Home with SP1 already installed. I ordered the SP2 cd just incase.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated. :)

Well most of what you have listed there are being used legitly. Like the one touch is the driver for your shortcut buttons at the top of the laptop. I dont see anything that i recognize as a problem. I would suggest a reinstall if possible and use Firefox, IE sucks and just lets all that crap get stuck on your pc. If Spybot and AdAware dont get it try clearing your cookies and IE cache. :D  I would also turn off windows update since most of what they put out causes problems with something. Thats just IMO though I dont know about the update installation. I do know it usually takes a LONG time to install some updates , so try just letting it go for a while. Also I would suggest something like Your Uninstaller (this program is the BOMB if you dont have it get it) you can use it to control start up programs it looks like you have several programs starting you dont need.

I do know it usually takes a LONG time to install some updates , so try just letting it go for a while

yea try that, last time i updated i also thought something was wrong, nothing happend but i walked away a few minutes and when i came back the uptade was done.

VanBuren :)

when i first updated it down loaded a new installer/updater. after that it went pretty smooth. did find that it dont auto update like it should so i went throug and did manual update. It did however smoke my video card setting and was runnig in 4bit mode( didn't know it could do that).

I manual dont work, try kicking it :haha: and dont forget about the  :biggun:

hey do you have popup stopper? its free and works very well :D