Switch problem

Ok, I'm stumped!

I have a small network of FTP servers, and workstations. Combined with printers , VOIP, and Media center.

My recent migration to Linksys network hardware has been a joy. Other than  the switch ( EZX16W ) . I have the modem ( BEFCMU10 ) , then, the switch, Router ( BEFSX41 ). No probs from the four ports on the  Router.

Knowing the sequence , why can I not get connections directly through the switch to a workstation? As I have up linked other Routers from the main Router or firewall. They are not in play here. All other connections are going through one port on the switch. Seems odd that you need a router between the switch and box for a connection .

Thanks

Maybe I didn't explain properly, All active connections are going through one port on the switch,  say , modem, switch, router, box,and so on, router, box and such. I mean to say only one port of 16 is active, not to say the other 15 , ( one MDI/ MDIX ) wont work , as they will, but not to just a workstation itself.

Alright..  Let me some things straight..

The current setup is modem -> switch -> router -> rest of lan...

There are a few problems with this setup..

Unless your ISP give you multiple IPs the switch should be moved behind the router.  The reason for this is because the entire purpose or the router is to grant access using one IP to a network.  There isnt really anything wrong with the setup but you wont be able to connect 15 other routers or other computers to the switch and expect it to work correctly.  With this setup you will only have 1 connection to that switch.. so it could be a computer on the switch or a router.  As the ISP monitors based on MAC address.  You could try cloning them.. but that could also turn into a mess later down the road.

Seems odd that you need a router between the switch and box for a connection

you are running into the issue of only having one IP..

There are some other beifits of running your switch behind the router also..  You get the protection of the firewall that is on the router.. and you can apply QoS to the entire network..  (I am pretty sure that the linksys router you have can do QoS)

Nice profile Swimmer.Thanks , as I was led to believe, Adelphia as well as BEX, and others handed out up to five IP's, apparently not or that setup would have worked as you stated. Now this is more or less how thing go.  The cloud, Router/ main firewall, out to local box's, then switch, to somewhat remote box's, and other uplinked routers as far as the FTP's , and networked printers they are on there own domain. The Voip and media center are also on there own . This way I keep my security from within and out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll need to re-setup my VPN's as needed, This should be no problem as the  (BFX41 ) is a great endpoint .

Thanks people, things are working good ,....for now.

I would move the server excluding voip onto their own router/subnet..  Voip should be on the main switch/router..  That way you have max bandwidth to the nic and max client coverage without extra processing.. you are moving toward the modem and not having to lookup ip address on other routers for the location on the machine...  Just make sure your firewall it pretty good on the server side..

There are three different company's saving  on three different servers, which must be kept secure from one another due to the traffic alone. All in which share the same two line voip service . So location matters. BTW yes I have the wire bug! For now and all foreseeable future all is wired.

Thanks again for the advice , Swimmer

I agree with what Swimmer has advised here. I would just like to reiterate a couple points on the switch:

[*]keep in mind that (most) switches do not route by IP (no NAT present), but by MAC, so you if you are connecting the switch to the modem, you'll need a unique IP lease for each device on it.

[*]check whether the ports on your switch are crossed or not; this will determine whether you will use a cross-over or straight-through cat5 cable

[*]check the duplexing on the switch (half vs. full) [/html]

Thanks Fallow Earth,  The routing by mac has me intrigued, something for me to look more carefully at. The switch detects the speed, full or half, and all of my network is custom  cut  straight through.

Problem solved  . in moving the switch, although I wish there was a way to monitor the switch activity.