USB PORT could not be opened!!!!!!! help pls.......

karthic

hi friends

i use MyPhone Explorer application for connecting and data transferring between my PC and my Sony Ericcsson k700i Phone.

but recently after i installed my motherboard updates (intel application accelerator, intel BIOS update and a few updates in USB from INTEL ) i could not connect my phone to my pc it is telling me that port COM4 COULDNOT BE FOUND!!!!(pic attached)

when i open my device manager there too my COM4 doesn't shows up in ports sub menu!!!

what may be the problem with my pc or port??????????

i ve no usb devices connected to any of my pc 's ports except that of my phone

in the device manager under the ports submenu it shows 2 ports (default) one for my printer and another one for communications

previously when i connect my cable to the usb port (com4) would show up in the device manager but now it is not showing up!!!

yes chola

i tried what u said some days back itself and now too i tried it but nothing changes and another  thing i tried plugging out and then plugging it again and windows doesn't detect my usb port and finally i clicked scan for hardware changes in my device manager but that too doesn't detect!!

@dlewis23

i tried connecting to port COM5 but yet the same result!! man it doesn't show up in the device manager

yes dlewis i tried to better uninstall it but there is nothing like uninstall in the add/remove programs bcoz they were all updates!!

and another thing i upgraded(repaired) my xp os to replace all my system files (whichever may be modified) yesterday but that too yielded no favourable result

bcoz of my upgradation yesterday i have no earlier restore points

finally i have only one option to format my os and reinstall xp os!!

is it the final option ??

i think the installation and reinstallation of zonealarm security suite and firewall respectively could 've played spoilsport

for more details see

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-14956

is there any chances like that i.e., not detecting a port

yes dlewis i tried to better uninstall it but there is nothing like uninstall in the add/remove programs bcoz they were all updates!!

Windows updates?  You can tick the box "Show updates" in Add/Remove Programs.

Otherwise, it looks to me like a problem with the software you are using, MyPhoneExplorer.  If a rip/reinstall of that software doesn't fix the issue, try another software like it.  There's gotta be some.

karthic ;One more suggestion do you have or might borrow some other hardware that uses USB to see if Windows will detect the USB port(COM 4) with that hardware?

Also could COM4 be turned off in your BIOS?

How about Plug & Play detection?

Could the firewall have MyPhone Explorer  blocked?

I would suggest to see if there are IRQ conflicts but it would have to detect COM4 to check that.

I think the only IE problem would be if the firewall had the MyPhone Explorer  blocked.

I beleive something in the Intel upgrades turned off the COM4 you just have to find out where.

hello everybody finally yesterday evening i formatted my os and installed a new xp os in the hard disc hoping to solve my problem

but yet the same problem it does not detect!!!

i scanned for hardware changes/add new hardware with device manager but of no use

i ll try to get digicam and connect it to my pc meanwhile how is that"COM4 be turned off in BIOS"?

is there anyway that can turn it ON? again

now coming to INTEL updates with all my new os xp too it does not detect it!, i  haven't installed those updates till now anyway its showing the same result chola!!!

how to check whether it is turned off in my system BIOS??????

how to check whether it is turned off in my system BIOS??????

You should be able to access your BIOS setup during the boot sequence.  It is usually available during the first screen you see when you power up your PC.  It will usually say "Press [key] to enter setup."  Once you're in, just take a look around and find the setting.

ok i think i know how to enter my BIOS setup

i used to press Del key once i power on my pc it will enter a black background with blue color lining at the top

i usually set the boot device priority there

is it the boot setup fallow earth?????????

if yes can i know under which menu will the turn on feature will be present??????

karthic ;I don't know what kind of computer you have.Mine is an IBM & heres how the BIOS works.When the computer Logo comes on during boot.IBM in my case on that screen it says press F1 for setup..This is my BIOS.There are two types of password to enter my BIOS user & administrator these have nothing to do with Windows passwords.The User password gives limited access  I have to use the administrator password to make setting changes.

Once there. There is a list the one the USB is in is: "Devices and I/O Ports" I select this & there it says : "USB Support" the settings are Enabled or Disabled.

So if something disabled USB Support in your BIOS  you need to enable it.Unless your PC doesn't have any settings like this.

In searching I did see some other people are having problems getting Windows to detect phones connected through USB.

thanks fallow earth n chola

i did it today morning man before chola said anyway thanks chola

in my BIOS setup i entered the general settings ->usb port->advanced and then i reset all the settings to default

before applying changes there is nothing like legacy usb port but once i applied changes (default) ports showed up and all were enabled

i exit the BIOS setup and in xp i browsed through the phone with my pc with full speed dudes 

thanks a lot a lot, in tons for helping me!!!!!!!!!!

otherwise i would have called my service man and i would have it checked!!!!!!!!!

testmy.net rocks again i have learnt a lot in computers with this forum though i am a electrical engineer

i m really proud of being a member of this forum

HATS OFF TO www.testmy.net