Dead Pixels

I am not sure what dead pixels look like. All I know is that on my new LCD monitor there is a tiny pink dot in the upper right hand corner. It eats at me now that I noticed it  I don't think I'm being too anal considering that I payed 2,000 for the monitor plus warranty that lasts until 2010. I called westinghouse for troubleshooting and the guy asked me how many pixels I thought were damaged. WTF??? It's a 1080P monitor!!! Over two million pixels on it...how in the hell am I gonna know if the dot is one pixel or a thousand? I told my wife I should pulled out my pixel conversion calculator lol. Anyway, he didn't help because we were supposed to go through tests to see if it was even pixel damage but he didn't go through troubleshooting tests. So, if I see a tiny pink dot...does that count as pixel damage? If not...what do you guys think are good steps to try and get rid of the dot. Sorry for the lengthy post and as always I appreciate everyones input.

I am not sure what dead pixels look like. All I know is that on my new LCD monitor there is a tiny pink dot in the upper right hand corner. It eats at me now that I noticed it  I don't think I'm being too anal considering that I payed 2,000 for the monitor plus warranty that lasts until 2010. I called westinghouse for troubleshooting and the guy asked me how many pixels I thought were damaged. WTF??? It's a 1080P monitor!!! Over two million pixels on it...how in the hell am I gonna know if the dot is one pixel or a thousand? I told my wife I should pulled out my pixel conversion calculator lol. Anyway, he didn't help because we were supposed to go through tests to see if it was even pixel damage but he didn't go through troubleshooting tests. So, if I see a tiny pink dot...does that count as pixel damage? If not...what do you guys think are good steps to try and get rid of the dot. Sorry for the lengthy post and as always I appreciate everyones input.

Its a dead pixel, normally they are white, but in your case its pink, you can try to get it to fire again by simply turning off and on the TV alot that sometimes works, but other then that there is really nothing you can do other then take the TV back and get a new one. you shouldnt have a problem taking it back considering its a westinghouse they are usially good about that.

I asked if they would repair or replace it and he said that the only way they will do that is if the dot gets bigger. Is this a bullying tactic on their part? Or is this response from them justified? Personally, I don't think I complained enough. Tell me what you think.

that responce from them is not justfied there should be no dead pixels, and i dont think you complained enough eather. if you complain enough and say your unhappy and you gonna return it, they will help you get a replacement.

But the longer you hold on to it the more you are stuck. the company i work for, when ever we by a LCD or Plasma TV we always buy them from like a Best buy and we test them within 30min of purchasing them to make sure there are no problems if there is we take them right back. and id advise you to take that thing right back to were you got it.

The thing is I bought it seven months ago from bestbuy. It hasn't had any issues up until the day before yesterday. I called bestbuy first, they told me to call westinghouse since I'm still under factory warranty for a year...so called westinghouse and the guy said tough basically. Then I called bestbuy back and the woman said that she would send out a geeksquad agent out to my house but if the problem with the pixel disappeared or if the geeksquad guy thinks it doesn't qualify as a problem...then they will charge me between 100-200 dollars that I can't afford. So, that's where I'm at with them.

The thing is I bought it seven months ago from bestbuy. It hasn't had any issues up until the day before yesterday. I called bestbuy first, they told me to call westinghouse since I'm still under factory warranty for a year...so called westinghouse and the guy said tough basically. Then I called bestbuy back and the woman said that she would send out a geeksquad agent out to my house but if the problem with the pixel disappeared or if the geeksquad guy thinks it doesn't qualify as a problem...then they will charge me between 100-200 dollars that I can't afford. So, that's where I'm at with them.

well as much as i hate to say it, i think your stuck, and your going to have to live with that little dot. I asked a guy that i work with who deals with the TVs and he said westinghouse was 6 dead pixels or more and they will replace the tv, any less and they dont do anything.

How would you even know what six pixels or more looks like. I think the people at westinghouseare full of it. This monitor I have has well over 2 million pixels! Since I don't know how many...and since I can't count how many...since I don't have a paper from westinghouse that discusses my factory warranty with me they are gonna keep shafting me. I want proof of this six pixel rule from them. Those bastages!!!!!! :twisted:

How would you even know what six pixels or more looks like. I think the people at westinghouseare full of it. This monitor I have has well over 2 million pixels! Since I don't know how many...and since I can't count how many...since I don't have a paper from westinghouse that discusses my factory warranty with me they are gonna keep shafting me. I want proof of this six pixel rule from them. Those bastages!!!!!! :twisted:

that little pink dot your seeing is 1 pixel, if you had 6 of those scattered all over the screen then you could get a new one.

sometimes you can get a dead pixel to start working by firmly pressing your thumb (or whatever you want) gently on that spot - massage it ;) it might work...im not kidding you

ive never herd that one. Ive seen people burst pixels by doing that. but never make them turn back on.

sometimes you can get a dead pixel to start working by firmly pressing your thumb (or whatever you want) gently on that spot - massage it ;) it might work...im not kidding you

First of all, the key word was " gently".

Second of all I have fould if you are not satisfiied with a persons response, firmly ask to speak to a supervisor. Westinghouse is a good Co. And if you sre still not happy, ask for his super. And so on. Sounds like you paid damn good money for it, and I would not get shafted. Fix it or replace it. They should not be selling products that they do not back up.

Just my thoughts of what I would do.

Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. SQUEEK SQUEEK!

They should not be selling products that they do not back up.

your 100% correct, but dead pixels is just something that happens on a LCD there is no way around that, thats why manufactures wont replace it if there is less then 6 or 8 dead pixels the cost is to high. Its the same thing with plasma TVs if the plasma gas leaks after 30 days on most manufactures they wont replace the TV because its just something that can happen.

Just happens is the worst excuse in the world. If you ask me. If you sell something that has inherent problems, you should be finding a fix that you do not have to fix or repair. I believe they should either take them off the market, or find a suitable way do one better.

If I put you on a roof and I told you it leaked because some of them just do that. Would you accept that? Hell no.

Your car leaks, acceptable? No.

Maybe just my thoughts, but I don't thiink so.

I guess as long as I can I will be a CRT man. I hope I spelled it correctly(CRT).

Just happens is the worst excuse in the world. If you ask me. If you sell something that has inherent problems, you should be finding a fix that you do not have to fix or repair. I believe they should either take them off the market, or find a suitable way do one better.

If I put you on a roof and I told you it leaked because some of them just do that. Would you accept that? Hell no.

Your car leaks, acceptable? No.

Maybe just my thoughts, but I don't thiink so.

I guess as long as I can I will be a CRT man. I hope I spelled it correctly(CRT).

tommie its just something that happens, it happens alot less now, but it still happens. there is no way around it.

Then they should fix it or replace it. It is not his fault they built and sold it to him. I don't know, I usually get 99% of things satisfied to me though. I just do not accept their answers, and they would rather give me one instead of listen to me all day. You can get a lot of people's attention in the store at Best Buy if you YELL. Believe me.

Sorry for  the rant. But it does not have to be that way.

Or a suitable replacement.  ;)

I'm with tommie on this one .If it's under warranty it should be covered.If it doesn't look like it did new then it has a defect which is what the warranty is for.If this happened to all of them in 6 months then they would not have a warranty.

Since you haven't had much luck with Westinghouse physically take it back to Best Buy.& Tell them its defective ^ you want them to replace it because you purchased it from them .& that thet can deal with Westinghouse because they have more clout with them & after all Best Buy bought it from Westinghouse not you.Remind them of that.I bet that gets you a new one.

I'm with tommie on this one .If it's under warranty it should be covered.If it doesn't look like it did new then it has a defect which is what the warranty is for.If this happened to all of them in 6 months then they would not have a warranty.

Since you haven't had much luck with Westinghouse physically take it back to Best Buy.& Tell them its defective ^ you want them to replace it because you purchased it from them .& that thet can deal with Westinghouse because they have more clout with them & after all Best Buy bought it from Westinghouse not you.Remind them of that.I bet that gets you a new one.

but dead pixels are not covered under warranty unless there is a high amount of them.

but dead pixels are not covered under warranty unless there is a high amount of them.

Just wondering who determines what a high amount is?

I bought an LCD from Price Club for $200, and I had dead pixels...They took it right back, and gave me a new one(I only had maybe 1-2 dead pixels, but they were right dead center of monitor).  They gave me no problems what so ever...

I'm with Cholla on this one, I would bring it back to Best Buy.  They should take it back for an exchange if you tell them it had bad pixels when you got it.

And if all else fails, tell Westinghouse you plan to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  This usually will make them move a little, especially if the "high amount of dead pixels" is not clearly defined.  To me, it is a matter of judgment...A high amount to one person may not be a high amount to another....It's a way to vaguely write a warranty so they can just deny more warranty claims...I bet if you push enough, and make enough noise, they will help you out...

To me, for $2,000....1 bad pixel is a high amount....

Westinghouse only says 6 or 8 is what the call a high amount.What do you want to bet if a store like Best Buy had a westinghouse on displat with 4 dead pixels .Westinghouse would consider that a high amount.

If the President of Westinghouse wanted a one of this model to use & it devoloped one bad pixel .Then he said it has a bad pixel I want another unit .Do you think he would be told 1 pixel was not enough for him to get another unit?I bet not.

Of course there is always small claims court as a last resort.

But before that try to talk to higher & higher supervisor at Westinghouse.This takes High salaried employees time.& sooner or later they get the idea that you are costing them more than replacing your defective unit will.

I can see both sides of the argument here, but you have to ask your self what about customer service? When does pleasing the consumer come into play? If one pixel dies every 10 weeks is that just fine with the manufacturer because that means in 52 weeks the warranty is up but there still aren't 6 dead pixels? And if the 6th one never burns out does that mean it's a wonderful monitor and he should buy another one in the future?

If this is an isolated incident, it should be covered under warranty. If it happens to every monitor they make, Westinghouse needs to change suppliers.

My $.02 US

YMMV