help with comp not booting

fattymcbluff

Hey guys i havent ben on here in a pretty long time but i need ur help

ok i just built this computer for my friend every thing goes smooth for about 2 days and then i get a call from him saying that it wont boot up. it trys to boot but then it will shut down wont get to post or nothing, after thing about it for a little bit i thought that the Processor was over heating so we go out get some new thermal paste still now boot, then we took it over to my friends house it boots there but no screen so we put the stuff back in the test comp and we get no screen and the outher stuff still does the same thing trys to boot then restarts and what not then shuts down

if ur running an overclock, load optimized defaults, boot up with only 1 stick of ram and watch for any beeps you might get - let us know of the results.....only 1 stick of ram !...if it doesnt work, try and boot with the 2nd stick (if available...) - try narrow the problem down to its core....if you have a multimeter, try measure voltage straight from the power supply to determine if thats the cause....

What are the specs?

When you reapplied the thermal paste, did you unseat/reseat the processor?  Perhaps it was not seated properly?

It actually sounds like the problem I was having with my new build, which turned out to be an insufficient PSU.  Even though the ratings were all within recommended specs, I could not get the pc to stay running.  I put in a bigger PSU, and all problems disappeared.  It wasn't so much the Watts of the PSU, but the Amps.

Especially if it has a higher end video card, make sure it is rated for enough Amps as well as enough Watts.

From what I understand, you are saying you don't get any screen at all?  No bios screen?

If you can get in bios, watch the voltages and see if they are low, or suddenly drop.

If you haven't already, I assume you have, take out the onboard battery, and if needed move the jumper to clear the CMOS.

Try booting with minimal components, and see if it boots.  Then add components one by one.  :shrug:

I know the feeling  :cheesy: If all else fails, tear it down to parts again, and start from scratch...Been there/Done that..  :uglystupid2:

good ideas voltageman. i had the same problem as you and it turned out to be my motherboard...the second memory slot was screwed up. everything would boot in any configuration except when there was ram in the second slot....then my psu turned out to be the problem as it died soon after and took my gigabyte mobo with it...