Distance issues?

deborah carson

Currently living in central Florida and need to receive a 50MB file with minimum speed of 10 Mbps.  Currently the download is returning a report of 5 Mbps from Washington state.  testmy.net indicates a reading of 9 Mbps from California.  Our network server is being paid for 25/25.

My question is how much is needed to support a download speed of 10Mbps from a server approx. 3000 miles away?

Your problem might not be your local ISP. Since they have to connect across the country you are at the mercy of every connection made and every node you pass through. They have control over everything until they hand it off to the Internet backbone and then all bets are off, It can go anywhere. I live 70 miles south of Portland, but to get to the Portland Netfix server, I go though Seattle and sometimes San Jose.

Also you have time of day that affects speed. Imagine as everyone comes home, has supper and kicks back to stream their favorite show. It starts first on the East  Coast and the load picks up as you move West. 7PM is the worst, the whole country is streaming and unless the server is in your back yard you are in trouble.

Try your test against multiple test sites and time of day. You will see a wide variance the further away you are from "home" and the time of day.

You could give that info to your ISP. It's possible that they have some way to route you differently than what it's doing now.

with good routing, you might sustain > 75% of your plan max. Maybe a little higher. My experience has been about 80% to the west coast from Cincinnati.

Your ISP may tell you they can't do anything about it when you call. Be polite and persistent if your issue doesn't go away. After a couple of calls on a similar issue, my issue like this suddenly went away without them telling me they were doing anything about it. It could have been something they did, but it could have been someone else in the chain.

It was a fast realization that server representatives 'stick to their scripts'.  No patience or time to persist, I’ve acquiesced and increased service from 25 to 75 Mbps.  25 Mbps is likely the substandard speed of today’s world, right?  LOL

Also, Windows 10 Home does not provide access to settings within Local Group Policy i.e. Gpedit.msc  where it limits one’s speed to 80%.  (….am I now going to be forced to pay for Windows Pro?)   

Thank you, Pgoodwin1, for your valued guidance and strategies.