Internet Speeds

Gardian

Can I use my test results , to fuss with my ISP to get what I am paying for .  Also , my ISP said I have to have a 200 meg card in my desk top in order to get my 200mbps speed , is this true if so I will have to buy a new pc , what will I look for on specs . A card reader , motherboard etc ?  I'm also not a IT pro , nor do I speak a lot of PC speak so bear with me . I do think, I may have found a site  where I will receive a PC education though .

Thank You

Gardian

I have an HP Pavilion 500a60 wired , another forum member recommended a USB adapter , since I have a proprietary designed system and HP will not allow additions/modifications . I have Charter Spectrum and my speed is 200Mbps subscribed . How is a USB adapter going to boost my speed ?

In general on your laptop or pc getting 200mbps throughtput is affected by the following:

1) The network port on either your computer/router is running at 10mbps or 100mbps instead of 1000mbps

- if on a PC/laptop this is checked on the networking control panel or Network settings interface in Win8 or 10; if you can't set then check if it might be the ethernet cable needing to be of CAT6 type, and then look into a new gigabit 1000mbps network card for pc or a usb gigabit network dongle for the laptop (which also works for pc)

2) how you connect wirelessly to your wifi router 

- wifi theoreticallay is able to surpass 200 mbps but realistically never goes past 75% of the max rating because 'science', mainly radio interference. Wifi routers need to be placed appropiately in the home in a centralized location. You can purchase new wifi routers that operate in new frequencies like 5ghz 801.11AC and theoretically have upwards of 900mbps of throughtput but with reduced range because of the higher frequency. Your old router may have 300mbps 801.11N tecnology that requires a specific pairing with a compatible pc wifi card or usb dongle.

pobrechamaco’s #1 comment above is a good place to start.not sure what year that PC is.

I couldn’t find the Ethernet spec for that model online. Do you have a manual for the PC ? Is it a gigabit Ethernet? 

I found a spec on the wireless card - it’s 802.11 b/g/n. The “n” wireless should be fast enough to get you the 200 Mbps, but I don’t know if HP’s wireless in that PC operates near the max of 802.11 n. You shouldn’t have to get a wireless USB dongle if your Ethernet card is gigabit Ethernet. 

If you’re using a Spectrum modem / router, the router should be the limiting item.

I have a 200 Mbps Spectrum plan and get an average of about 190 Mbps as tested here with wireless. Typically I’ll get 150-170 via Ethernet . - not on a PC though. And I’m not skilled with PCs (Mac guy). I know there are some skilled PC hardware guys on here that could help. Theres plenty of possible problems in software.

you have a Pavillion 500a6? That's from 2013? In computer terms, that's pretty old. According to the specs https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c03786042 you have a 100Mbps ethernet adapter.

Why can't you add a gigabit ethernet port? It's 5 years old so warranty is long gone, and it's a desktop, so it is made to be extended.

If you have a recent smartphone or tablet, there's a good chance it's faster than your PC in all aspects, and you can just run the test from that. If your ISP says you get 200MBps that means their modem probable has WiFi to support that.

Yes, this PC is old , but it still works well as long as I don't have to fight Microsoft and or Charter Spectrum . I finally figured out that this USB Ethernet adapter was connected incorrectly , because in the printed instructions , it stated to connect to the modem , so I called the Mfg and they said connect to the PC cable going to the router and WOW this thing wants to run away on me . I am subscribed to 200Mbps internet speed , but when I run various speed test's now I have reached up to 220 on this 1Gbit adapter , is this legit or should I actually run higher ?

Thank You