DannyDeLoach

Auto test not running

TestMy.net is a great service.  Last night I setup Auto Test.  I set it to run every 12 hours.  The first test ran last night at 9:00 PM.  I thought it would run again this morning at 9:00 AM.  However, when I go to My Results, I don't see any tests that have ran this morning.  (It's about 10:30 AM now.)

First, thank you.

Is it possible that your computer fell asleep?  Make sure you change your power management settings to keep your computer awake during the test.

If your computer was put to sleep overnight and then you turned it back on this morning the timing mechanism was paused while your computer was asleep.

Try running an auto test on a lower interval (like 15 minutes) so you can get a feel for how it runs.  Then turn it up to your desired 12 hour interval... just make sure your computer is set to stay awake.  The display and drives can sleep, screensaver is fine... the browser window doesn't even need to be in focus or visible.  But if the computer goes to sleep or hibernation... the auto test won't work.

Here's instructions from Western Digital on how to change those settings.  This is the first thing I change on a new computer.

Looks like you're running Windows 10...

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3875#win10

If you're using a laptop make sure you're plugged in during testing and change the power management settings back when you're done otherwise your battery will drain quicker.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for your quick and thorough support.  I didn't realize I had to keep the computer running continuously, in order for Auto Test to work.  I appreciate your guide for how to keep my computer running.  Is there any option to have Auto Tests run without keeping my computer on continuously?  I can ensure the computer is on when the test is scheduled, but I'm not in a situation where I can keep my computer on continuously.

Not right now but I think I can make some modifications to make it work the way you need.  I actually already took a note to look into that after your first post.

Give me a little while to mess around with it and I'll get back to this thread soon.