Missing tests are not documented

CrazyAboutNature

It should be sending to your registered address.  Do you get other notifications from TestMy.net?

Another way to test notifications is https://testmy.net/share

Maybe it's being mistakingly sent to spam.

It's been running since we started it.  Last downtime was when you said your computer crashed/rebooted.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 10.03.52 AM.jpg

See those spikes in the light gray graph (that's the 5 minute average graph) -- 2 of those periods are about 2 hours long where it rose significantly above the baseline.  Signs of instability if you ask me.

Now see what mine looks like...

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 10.08.07 AM.png

The spike you see on my graph is when my home NAS was syncing with my remote NAS, so my network was using the upload speed which caused a spike in latency.

Maybe you have similar things happening.  Like backups to the cloud which could explain the latency.

Just something I noticed. Depending on what you have going on, it may be normal.  If you have nothing happening (no network activity) and the latency is doing that... then it may be an indication of an issue.

Edit: note, all the tab switching... may have been because Safari is sleeping the background tabs or something.  It looks like you have My Sensor in focus now because it's no longer doing that.

My system was mostly down 11-1215, then 3 or so until 6AM.  Last night instead of putting the iMac to sleep, I put a screen saver on to darken the screen as much as possible, and unlike the prior night, the 10-minute combined tests seemed to continue.  The prior night they stopped, except they occurred once each hour while the iMac was in Sleep mode, although perhaps that was occurring when he drives would wake up intermittently?

Yes I don't get any notifications except the blog updates you've posted, I get notifications for those.

I'm amazed how steady those latency numbers are.  If I just start pinging off of Terminal, those numbers bounce all over the place!

BTW... I'm assuming where it says something like " latency 63 ms (61 ms) w/ 2.3 ms deviation" above the graph, that we're talking the standard deviation.  

Below it talks of "periodical deviation", and I assume this is the standard deviation for the period of the graph (which is listed as 8.9 ms)?  Not sure how this differs from the 63 ms noted above (with 61 ms listed in square brackets - which don't work on my keypad currently). Curious about the numbers given the huge difference in the listed deviation for the slightly different latency figures.  

Oh, I see, the lower figure is the median.  Interesting, how is a deviation (SD) calculated on a median?  I could see an SD for a median if you were taking the median for a lot of different charts or people, etc., but don't understand it for my chart.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 9.35.32 AM.png

2 hours ago, CrazyAboutNature said:

I'm amazed how steady those latency numbers are.  If I just start pinging off of Terminal, those numbers bounce all over the place!

Each tick is an average of clusters of latency tests.  This smooths things out while still accentuating spikes.

1 hour ago, CrazyAboutNature said:

Oh, I see, the lower figure is the median.  Interesting, how is a deviation (SD) calculated on a median?  I could see an SD for a median if you were taking the median for a lot of different charts or people, etc., but don't understand it for my chart.

Median: denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.

Standard Deviation: A standard deviation (or σ) is a measure of how dispersed the data is in relation to the mean. Low standard deviation means data are clustered around the mean, and high standard deviation indicates data are more spread out.

Mean / Median / Mode: The mean (average) of a data set is found by adding all numbers in the data set and then dividing by the number of values in the set. The median is the middle value when a data set is ordered from least to greatest. The mode is the number that occurs most often in a data set.

So technically I should show mean there instead.  ...that's what I'm showing now.

The 'deviation' of 8.8 ms in the periodical graph shows that there's more variation than your more recent results.  In your screenshot the 15 minute 'latency' graph has had less ups and downs than the longer periodical median (~ 24 hours).

The main number is the latest reading, the number in brackets is the average (mean) for the 15 minute graph and then you have the standard deviation for the numbers across the graph.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 12.57.10 PM.png

Sorry if it's confusing at all, I'm making this stuff up as I go.  Trying to figure out how to display to the client what this tool is doing.  Hard thing to do because it produces a lot of data.  So I have to figure out how to make it digestible while still giving the necessary information.  I appreciate your feedback.

3 hours ago, CrazyAboutNature said:

Yes I don't get any notifications except the blog updates you've posted, I get notifications for those.

I found the bug in the notify system.  Wasn't happening for me because I have more than one email address added.

You should be able to click "Test My Notifications" now and promptly see an email.

Again, thank you for the feedback on that.

The notifications... tested and working.

Yes, you have a difficult task on your hands trying to make all of this digestible.  I don't know what an average users' knowledge level of stats is likely to be, nor what their role in using the data would be, so input I have may be off base.

I know what the stats terms are, but I don't recall seeing "periodical median", and wonder if saying approximate 24 hr median is clearer (periodical makes me think of magazines/journals, although I understand what your usage is intended to mean).  Having said that, I'm not sure what the median tells me; I get what it means, just not sure how that it's useful for me... standard deviation and/or variance seem more helpful for me at first glance).

When deviation means standard deviation I would use the full term.  I won't pretend to be a statistician or to know what the best stats are for this tool given I've use and who may be using it and for what purpose, so my input may not be applicable.  Plus, it's been a very long time since I made extensive use of stats, and even longer since I had stats classes way back when!

• 1 month later...