Anyone getting 1000Mbps from Spectrum...not me!

MFP21

On a one off test:

DNHLWKqaA.QIrNqsTnL.png

https://testmy.net/db/DNHLWKqaA.QIrNqsTnL

On a ten day, randomly every hour series of tests:

Minimum

39.37 Mbps : 4.29 Mbps

Median

435.42 Mbps : 32.21 Mbps

Maximum

516.17 Mbps : 35.76 Mbps

?t=c&d=06-12-2023+%2F+06-23-2023&l=1000&q=658642493668's Speed Test Resultsmyaverage?q=658642493668&dateFull=06-12-2023+%2F+06-23-2023&clientTime=1&type=Comp_ID

• CA3LE changed the title to Anyone getting 1000Mbps from Spectrum...not me!

And it looks like you're even worse when you don't multithread.

TestMy.net Test ID : wfCW0g4qY

You only have a few tests.  Run some more tests with multithread disabled on the Colorado mirror and also test against New York and Dallas.  Run a few tests against each, multithread off and on.  I need more data to make a proper assessment.

Please sign up for the beta, you seem to understand how TestMy.net currently works and I'd love to have you test my new systems.

https://testmy.net/ipb/topic/34612-beta-testers-welcome

You also may have a connection issue I'd particularly like to see tested with the beta. 

We can help get you up to speed.  

1. Please explain your network.  Help us also understand how your computer is connecting to your network.  Is it on WiFi or wired? 
  2. What are the specs of the computer?
  3. Which modem and router are you using?
  4. Do you have another device you can test with?  An Android or iPhone works great.  Even better if it's another hardwired computer, preferably a fresh OS install or one with known reliable performance characteristics.  The newer the better.

Having these questions answered combined with the extra results from different mirrors will help us better understand what might be going on. 

Bottom line: You shouldn't have single thread running 8-10x slower than multithread.  But we need more information to say that's happening for sure.

Thanks for your response. I don't know if I am up for all this additional testing. I have been continuously testing and arguing with Spectrum since Jan. I will think about it.

I have ten computers, and I hate phones. Computers are a mix of Win7 and Win10, desktops, laptops, tablets, and a NUC, all with gigabit wired ability.

Four are continuously wired and six normally wireless. I have long ago given up on testing wireless devices.

Router is Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 and modem is Hitron EN2251 with 2.5G Ethernet port. Cables are Cat6 and 7 (at the router).

Spectrum shipped me a SamKnows box but will only do limited testing and SamKnows Whitebox.pdf limited data, after first promising me log in credentials.

So they are liars.

“t1.st.chi10.tbone.rr.com Mean Average 931 /38.9 Mbps

n1-fcc-chicago-us.samknows.com Mean Average 919/ 38.8 Mbps

The abouve and attached is all can get out of them to this point, and they like to talk like this:

"At some point we will need to agree to disagree that we have an obligation to ensure internet speed performance across the entirety of the world wide web.  That being said, we are testing both on Spectrum network and off spectrum network as part of the SamKnows testing we are performing.  "

“We are following the SamKnows protocols to test the network we are responsible for operating which is consistent with the approach the FCC takes in testing ISP network performance.“

So they invented this term called _off-net_ to try to defer responsibility for anything outside the Charter network INTRAnet.

I did sign up for the beta however,

Mike

SamKnows Spectrum data.jpg

MFP 6-12-2023 to 6-16-2023.xlsx

17 minutes ago, MFP21 said:

I don't know if I am up for all this additional testing.

Should only take you 10-15 minutes. 

I'll make a video when I get to my console.  Show you what I'm talking about.

... still reading your response.  Just wanted to comment on that real fast.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:23 PM, MFP21 said:

So they invented this term called _off-net_ to try to defer responsibility for anything outside the Charter network INTRAnet.

It seems that they market themselves as an Internet provider, not an INTRAnet provider.  I'd point that out to them.

spectrum.png

Pretty clear language on their website.  Says "Internet" everywhere.  May want to point them to the ftc.gov Truth in Advertising.

I argue they should provide near the speed they advertise, TO THE INTERNET or they need to change how they market their product.

They do say, "Actual speeds may vary."

and then in your agreement (https://www.spectrum.com/policies/residential-internet-services-agreement)

e. Bandwidth.

i. Subscriber understands and agrees that Spectrum does not guarantee that any particular amount of bandwidth on the Spectrum network or that any speed or throughput of Subscriber's connection to the Spectrum network will be available to Subscriber.

If you really aren't seeing the 1 Gbps speed anywhere and are seeing more like 500 Mbps maybe just downgrade to the package speed you're actually seeing to save money.

In my area on Comcast it took well over a year or two after they released 'gigabit' before I ever saw anywhere near 1000 Mbps, anywhere.

One thing to check and consider if you downgrade, what are the upload speeds with the lower packages.  I pulled pricing from their website to the Green Bay area and couldn't find the upload speed stated anywhere.  You have really decent upload, over 30 Mbps.

I talked with an agent at spectrum 

I would need the exact address to be able to verify if the speed is available at that location. 300/10 upload 500/20 1000/35
Perfect, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you.
You're welcome, was there anything else I could assist you with today?

I think 20 Mbps upload is still very decent, obviously 35 is better.  Again, if you really aren't seeing 1000 Mbps anywhere besides spectrum is $20 worth it to you only for the extra upload speed?  For that price, I think it is.

At the end of the day, if you switch to a 500 Mbps plan, the only difference you may see is in the upload.  Then try the Gigabit plan again later and you may find better results.

Personally, that 35 Mbps upload matters (though, my other options at the time only had 5 Mbps).  I just stuck it out, over time Comcast got better and better in my area.

Admin,

If you send me your email address to the email address I used to register at your site, or just email me, I will bcc copy you on selected email conversations, rather than quotes, with a Spectrum VP of Operations.

Regarding downgrading:

In 2021, amidst the pandemic, I was using a VPN and Tor to do my Dark Web research for my third and fourth books. Was also playing with a VM.

100 Mbps wasn’t cutting it, I was also wireless at this point so I had that degradation despite upgrading my router to Wi-Fi 6 and network cards to wireless 802.11 ac/ax.

So I upgraded to their 300Mbps service and saw no improvement. So I started testing and emailing results, writing and producing a song rhyming Spectrum with Rectum, and after several months of insisting that I was the problem, they (a VP) reduced my price. To me this was an admission of guilt.

Meanwhile they say they bumped my service to 400Mbps. I believe this is a marketing technique to justify steady price increases and ward away potential competition in the area.

Then in 2023 they sent me a notice that I have a free upgrade to 500Mbps, them not knowing about the whole letting sleeping dogs lie thing.

So I started testing again, only now with Cat6/7 wired Ethernet, and could only get that speed inside of 200 miles within their INTRAnet.

More like 90Mbps with FTP even then.

I suspected that they could not actually deliver a 1000Mbps service to my rural area, wanted to prove it, so I upgraded to that and again could only get that speed inside of 200 miles within their INTRAnet.

I don’t really need 1000, 500 would be fine if I could actually get it. There is no evidence that I can.

Yet because of this corporate monopoly, if I downgrade to 500 I will still pay the same $100 per month. So I am stuck in some Charter Marketing Catch-22 bullshit here.

Hence the pissed off nature of my correspondence, and my continuing persistent and relentless battle.

Thank you for our response and advice,

MFP

On 6/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, CA3LE said:

It seems that they market themselves as an Internet provider, not an INTRAnet provider.  I'd point that out to them.

Pretty clear language on their website.  Says "Internet" everywhere.  May want to point them to the ftc.gov Truth in Advertising.

I argue they should provide near the speed they advertise, TO THE INTERNET or they need to change how they market their product.

They do say, "Actual speeds may vary."

lol I just posted almost the identical response in another thread, 'cept about Frontier & my experiences with this issue:D 

On 6/27/2023 at 10:31 PM, xs1 said:

lol I just posted almost the identical response in another thread, 'cept about Frontier & my experiences with this issue:D 

Well then you might be amused by this:

Crank the volume to 11.

https://www.tcw.org/Got%20the%20Spectrum%20Blues.mp3

Edited by CA3LE
attached mp3

Well, if you liked that you may enjoy this single page pdf excerpt from my newest novel. Part One of this saga is also in Book Three which is currently available from leanpub.com

Synopsis

This “Spectrum Rhymes with Rectum” title is in effect a sequel to the writers’ previous four books and follows the main character, Lefty, (who considers himself a Wilbury) in a fight against a monopolistic corporation for his fair share of Megabits from a Cable Internet Goliath.

The Insider Trilogy plus three is as follows:

Book One

The Insider

(A Life Inside the Personal Computer)

Book Two

The Cozening (A Murder of Promise)

Book Three

The Insider Goes Deep

(Tales from the Dark Web)

And its companion book:

Book Four

A User Guide to the Dark Web

(The 42nd and Final Encyclopedia Cyberspacia)

Book Five (in the works)

Spectrum Rhymes with Rectum

(The fight for Megabits)

Book Six (in the works)

The Insider Goes to Space

(Tales from Beyond Planet Earth)

Note: All books are available on leanpub.com

https://leanpub.com/bookstore?type=all&search=Lefty%20Insider

Book Five exerpt.pdf

On 6/24/2023 at 12:23 PM, MFP21 said:

I don't know if I am up for all this additional testing.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:44 PM, CA3LE said:

I'll make a video when I get to my console.  Show you what I'm talking about.

Quickly enable and disable multithread, run some tests with it enabled and some disabled for comparison.

quick-multithread-compare.gif

40 minutes ago, MFP21 said:

Massive difference with multithread on/off to all three server locations.

What does this tell you?

(from email thread)

That's showing me that something is majorly amiss.  If you can run the same set of experiments on another hardwired computer for comparison we can narrow down what's happening better.

I recommend using Identifiers, if you click on My Settings a drop down with choices will come up.  This will help us differentiate the results from each other.

A comparison will help us determine if the problem is local to that machine or if it's network-wide.

---------

I see the laptop tests you've been running since our email.  Seems like you're getting the same there.  I'll respond back on this in a bit.

- D

The next test I would perform would be to remove the router from the equation.

Connect your modem directly to one of your hardwired computers.  You'll then need to power cycle the modem, unplug and wait 10 seconds and plug it back in.  This connects the modem to the device mac address.  When you return it to the router you'll need to repeat this.

Repeat the test.  Give the computer a different identifier so we can differentiate.  Multithread off and on.

I know you've already been through a lot but I think you're on the right track to getting it resolved now.  Stick with me.

So I have run this test with six of my computers, multithread on, off, and to the same three test servers.

I have been doing this on and off for three years now and connecting directly to the modem makes no difference at all.

The router is a Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 at default settings and Spectrum used it to pronounce my connection all good.

Why so much difference on all computers?

The computer you set as "Work" was able to pull faster speed.

TestMy.net Test ID : xSC9P4N5t

Still leaves much to be desired but it's consistently 2-3X faster performing the linear test than the computer with the "Office" ID.

TestMy.net Test ID : 7kCVzVEII

So it doesn't appear to be a network-wide bottleneck.  If it was you'd see very similar results.

This is a really hard one.

Let's focus on the PC that has the greatest drop, Office.

I'd eliminate the operating system and all installed programs from the equation.

To do this all you need is a USB flash drive.  This is a little more advanced but you seem to be an advanced user.

1. Download rufus from https://rufus.ie/en/ (you'll use this to create the bootable USB)
  2. Download Ubuntu from 
  3. Open rufus, select device (the USB) and select the ISO image (rufus correctly fills in the rest) then click "Start"
    • Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 12.18.23 PM-b.png 
    • Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 12.19.06 PM-b.png
    • Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 12.19.36 PM-b.png
    • Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 12.23.31 PM-b.png
    • Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 12.26.55 PM-b.png
    • Now you have an Ubuntu live USB
  4. Reboot your computer with the USB plugged in.
    • You may need to use the boot menu to boot from USB, the key you need to press on startup differs by manufacturer.  Most common can be found at https://www.boot-disk.com/quest_bootmenu.htm -- some systems show you what you need to press on startup, others just show a splash screen.
  5. As it's booting select "Try" whenever it prompts you. (twice)

Once the live USB boots up you'll have a normal desktop with Firefox browser with the option to install Ubuntu, completely isolated from your Windows install.  Obviously you don't want to install it, only use the desktop for testing.  Open Firefox, sign-in to TMN and repeat your testing.  Keep in mind you're running on a USB so starting Firefox will be slower but once programs are in RAM they'll perform well for you.

Note: I tried this myself just now and couldn't get video to properly display.  Because the discrete graphics card needs proper drivers with a full install.  To fix this power off and connect to the onboard video.  After that I was able to load it up and test.

Multithread:

TestMy.net Test ID : teT8Ud7RN

Linear:

TestMy.net Test ID : UuMQH4oaw

What I'd expect to see, exactly the same performance as my properly running Windows 10 install on that machine.  First try, maxed it out. 

If you do this test and your speed shoots up all of a sudden... then we have something.

After that you can use your Live USB to quickly repeat testing on other machines.

There may be something software related, something in common between the computers that could be causing issues.  It's common for TMN to pick up on this when other tests don't by the way.  Using the method outlined above you eliminate those variables by using a known good configuration.

Give it a try and let us know what you find. 

Note: Including the ISO download it took only about 10-15 minutes to follow my own guide and get test results.

I will remind you that my OP was showing sub 500Mbps across ten days testing every hour testing with MT ON.

Now based on your advice  I see a big difference between MT and no MT. This occurs on all six tested computers.

It really doesn't matter what the highest speed is, as they are all substandard. And based on prior testing this goes for my other four computers as well.

So lets stop talking about my computers and get on to why the MT and no MT performance is so different. Double speed with it ON. See the attached spreadsheet for details.

You are starting to sound like Spectrum here blaming the router and the computers. They blamed my router and also used it to pronounce my connection good. They blamed my computers except when I could occasionally get a good speedtest.net score to their favorite location.

I have been building and using computers since 1987.

I have a newish known good router and ten computers that cannot be all bad. I have desktops, laptops, SFF, NUC and tablets.

In terms of software, MS antivirus and firewall, mix of Brave and Firefox browsers, mix of Win7 and Win10, all with 1Gbps Ethernet connected with Cat 6/7 cables.

There is nothing special about the software loads, MS Office, Norton Ghost for backups, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe CS6, FTP software and Web authoring software for maintaining my website. I use Word for writing my books and a browser for research. That is about it.

I monitor bandwidth use with GlassWire, and have shut off all telemetry of any kind.

07-04-2023-edited-testmy.net-stats.xlsx

Screenshot_20230705_182011_Chrome.jpgSo you clearly show better results with larger test files. Have you tried skipping the automated test and just manually putting it to 200 on all your pcs? My guess is your results will be much better when you're skipping the smaller insignificant files. Your connection may just need time to ramp

By looking again at the spreadsheet data, I can see that this is generally but not exclusively true.

However I am not trying to tune my PC's to do well on these tests. I have already eliminated some speed deterrents like Zone Alarm AV and Firewall, and fine tuned my DNS and eliminated hosts files.

I am trying to test definitively, in a world full of bad tests, and also understand why I cannot get what I am paying for geographically outside of SPECTRUMNET.

Rather than going through the whole Linux ordeal above, I have another hard disk with a clean Win11 install on it. I don't use it because Win11 is functionally unusable to anyone who knows how to use a computer.

Anyway I will swap it out, suffer through it and will test with that.

Ok, so windows 11 with Edge

First three tests are with MT OFF

Next three tests are with MT ON

OS, browser, don't seem to matter much.

Shit results.

?t=u&d=07-05-2023&l=25&z=20&q=MFP's Speed Test Results

image.thumb.png.0c63cc1bba56da29d2ebfbdb7b12b0d9.png

Well, that was an ordeal I won't wish on anyone.

6 hours ago, MFP said:

So lets stop talking about my computers and get on to why the MT and no MT performance is so different. Double speed with it ON. See the attached spreadsheet for details.

You are starting to sound like Spectrum here blaming the router and the computers.

I'm trying to give you ammunition to go back to Spectrum with so I'm suggesting that you get ahead of them and check these boxes.

If you're getting 250 Mbps on the Linear test, you're doing pretty good.  Especially in a rural area.

The one I was concerned about is where you're getting 40 Mbps.  Something is preventing that install from performing.

If you just booted that Windows 11 fresh install on that machine and now it's pulling 250 Mbps instead of 40 Mbps.  There you go... something is holding that machine back, software wise.

Don't expect linear to perform as well as multithread, it's very difficult to score like @xs1 does for example (1000 Mbps linear results).  Look at mine, I get 400 maybe 500 if I'm lucky and then 800-950 multithread.  What you're looking for is to establish that baseline on your best running machine, understand how your connection normally runs on TMN and if you see a huge variation (like 40 Mbps instead of 250 Mbps) then you know something is amiss.

When you show me two hardwired computers on your network and one of them is running vastly different it often points to software.  Or something else unique to that device like it's network card or ethernet cable.

You very well may have deeper connection issues, I just want to cover bases.  You've told me a lot about your situation but remember I wasn't there.  I don't know all of the things you've done yet... and if you want to do have me be witness and give my recommendations then you need to understand that I need to see the tests performed a certain way before I can understand what might be happening.  I know you've done some of the steps before but I wasn't there.

If you can get all of your machines running over 200 Mbps in my linear tests I bet that your other connection issues will be gone.  Everything will run better.

"If you're getting 250 Mbps on the Linear test, you're doing pretty good.  Especially in a rural area. "

So 250 linear and 500 MT I should consider good? I am paying $100 a month for 1000, and I should be happy?

My buddy in Florida says:

"https://internetspeedtestx.com/ seems to accurately show me my advertised speeds. 250Mbps Hotwire fiber."

I get 80Mbps on that site to a test server in VA.

He also sees 250 to testmy.net, Miami and CO.

"If you just booted that Windows 11 fresh install on that machine and now it's pulling 250 Mbps instead of 40 Mbps.  There you go... something is holding that machine back, software wise. "

You are forgetting that these tests are simply short term snapshots. On my ten day test,  my low was 40, Median 436 an Max 516.

You are also forgetting that this issue is across 6-10 computers. Again, it is not a router or computer issue and I was hoping you could help me find it.

You originally came off to me as a guy who knew a lot and has been doing this a long time.

There is a lot of big talk, hubris, and bragging by the author of this website.

All I have discovered with your site is what is leading me to question the bandwidth and rigor at your test servers.

But in the end, at a loss for an explanation,  you are saying that I should be happy for what I have.

Disappointed.

2 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Don't expect linear to perform as well as multithread, it's very difficult to score like @xs1 does for example (1000 Mbps linear results).  Look at mine, I get 400 maybe 500 if I'm lucky and then 800-950 multithread.

Every connection is obviously unique. In my case, I find that linear works better because of routing. If the other servers/connections on the "multi" test are poor routing it'll generally slow down the entire test. Now in other cases, multi-thread works better on my connection if the routing is ideal for all servers/connections involved. There are alot of variables involved. 

1 hour ago, MFP said:

My buddy in Florida says:

"https://internetspeedtestx.com/ seems to accurately show me my advertised speeds. 250Mbps Hotwire fiber."

I get 80Mbps on that site to a test server in VA.

He also sees 250 to testmy.net, Miami and CO.

Firstly, That test is inconsistent, hot garbage. 🥴

2.png1.png

1 hour ago, MFP said:

You originally came off to me as a guy who knew a lot and has been doing this a long time.

There is a lot of big talk, hubris, and bragging by the author of this website.

All I have discovered with your site is what is leading me to question the bandwidth and rigor at your test servers.

But in the end, at a loss for an explanation,  you are saying that I should be happy for what I have.

Disappointed.

Lastly,

I'm going to be honest with you bud, I dont appreciate the disrespect your coming with right now. Firstly, there are thousands of people with actual fiberoptic & datacenter level connections who pull ungodly speeds from testmy.net & its host. Bandwidth & server specs are absolutely not in play here. TMN is on a 10 gig backbone. I have a 1 gig symmetric connection and pull in cases over 1.3 gbit. :shrug: Last thing you'll do here is shit on this site. 

Its apparent you have issues with your cable connection & im sorry to see this, but that's on you & your ISP. 

There's a few things to remember. This site and speed tests are absolutely free. The info you find here is also free. The assistance you are provided is FREE. So do us all a favor and tone down that bullshit negativity towards @CA3LE and this site we have all been members of for over a decade+. If you feel you are the end all be all of knowledge in computers and networking, than figure it out, or switch ISPs to verify your problem with Spectrum cable. Otherwise, keep using other sites like ookla (speedtest.net) that throw overhead in, to bloat the results & make the end user feel better about their max connection speeds, rather than real life performance. 

"Bandwidth & server specs are absolutely not in play here. TMN is on a 10 gig backbone."

Says you. The website says there is a 2000Gbps backbone.

So the test servers all have multiple 1Gbps nic's? Or they have 10Gbps nic's?

Each server has multiple 1Gbps connections? Or a 10Gbp connection?

The TestMy network has a total capacity of over 2000Gbps and our servers have multiple gigabit uplinks into that network. TestMy is always overstocked with bandwidth and can meet the needs of even the most demanding connections. Our servers are also configured and tested to maintain full quality of service for thousands of miles.

We have multi-homed connectivity and bandwidth from over 25 independent Tier 1 carriers including Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, Charter, Qwest, Google, Level 3, Internap, NTT America, Equinix & Telefónica to name a few.

Per the example, if the test site my buddy used gives the same result as TMN, how can it be hot garbage? Not logical.

I know that you are invested and defensive, but I am just trying to cut through all the crap in this business and pay for only what I get.

It was the Admin who bragged he could solve my problems if I only ran these tests, and then these, and then these, and then in the end ust be happy with that you have.

I never projected expertise just long experience, but I was expecting to benefit from the expertise that was projected here.

Suggesting I change ISP's is just disingenuous.