Anyone getting 1000Mbps from Spectrum...not me!

MFP21

9 hours ago, MFP said:

You originally came off to me as a guy who knew a lot and has been doing this a long time.

There is a lot of big talk, hubris, and bragging by the author of this website.

All I have discovered with your site is what is leading me to question the bandwidth and rigor at your test servers.

I love when I spend hours upon hours helping someone, reading into all their tech support emails, taking hours to work someone else's problem in my head, explaining things in intricate detail, writing custom guides specifically for that person and taking time out of my family holiday weekend to quickly respond back... only to be attacked.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

I understand your frustration and I've been trying to help.

It's pretty common that people attack and blame me and my site, I'm used to it by now.

(from MFP's email)

1.      How is it that you can have a 2000Gbps backbone, as you say on your website?

2.      How many IXP's are you connected to?

3.      Aren't most of the 43 or so US IXP's limited to a 100Gbps backbone?

4.      How can you afford all this bandwidth? I do see some ads when I turn off blockers.

5.      I now have test data from six of my computers, with up/down, multithread on/off, to three test servers, how do I summarize this to present to Spectrum? Spreadsheets are too complex.

6.      What are the reasons for such a wide variance between multithread on and multithread off?

7.      Why do I have to turn off Privacy Badger in Firefox and Brave Shield in Brave to get your tests to work?

Here's what I actually say on the website right now,

• Total network bandwidth capacity in excess of 2000 Gbps
  • TestMy.net's servers are all gigabit or multi-gigabit uplinked
  • Hosted network features multi-homed connectivity with bandwidth from independent Tier 1 carriers, combining multiple 10 Gbps connections to create one of the industry’s fastest networks.
  • Global network reach utilizing over 25 Tier 1 network providers including Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, Charter, Qwest, Google, Level 3, Internap, NTT America, Equinix & Telefónica to name a few
  • Extensive peering relationships across North America, Europe and Asia

That was actually written so long ago, needs to be updated and includes much more currently.  After I get the beta released I'll probably start updating text across the site.

Total network capacity.  This is the network capacity of the hosts I choose.  I choose hosts who peer well with other hosts and have in many cases direct connections to the larger ISPs.  Those are their peering relationships.

How can you afford all this bandwidth? I do see some ads when I turn off blockers.

I've definitely had to be creative in the past to afford to run this site.  From 1999 to 2001 I had to shut down because I exhausted all of my options.  And then lost all the code.  Long story about how it was able to come back.

TestMy.net today I have a cabinet of servers at Colohouse (formerly Data102) about 15 minutes from my house in Downtown Colorado Springs CO.  This is where the (currently) centralized databases run.  When you visit "testmy.net" it's served from Cloudflare CDN and goes to my rack here in Colorado.  When you use the Colorado test server, you're hitting a VPS running in that rack.  My cabinet is located only about 10 feet from where all of the connections come into the data center.  When I first joined Data102 the owners were fans of TMN, "We use it all the time!  It's our go-to test." and so they gave me a favorable deal and placement in their datacenter.  But it's still very expensive and I pay for that out of pocket.

Then I have about 30-60 VPS servers at any time, the majority of which right now are on Vultr VPS.  If you want $100 of credit to try their platform, here's the link.  I get $35 if you keep them.

I scale the VPS servers up and down with demand.  That's also expensive but I've paid much more in the past. 

I could definitely do it all for much less but the quality of the bandwidth is extremely important to me.  There are a lot of people who've come to rely on my service and I do my best to provide them with the best possible scenario from a server-side perspective.  I do extensive testing on hosts... xs1 just helped me throw out a promising prospect.  It looked fairly good but TestMy.net proved it's not as good as Vultr.  So when the client is fast enough, TMN can work in reverse and be a test of the host it's running on.  And I intend on doing an entire section where I test VPS hosts like this.

So many people blocking ads.  But oh well.

I now have test data from six of my computers, with up/down, multithread on/off, to three test servers, how do I summarize this to present to Spectrum? Spreadsheets are too complex.

When you have some computers pulling 250 Mbps in the linear test and others pulling 40 Mbps it's showing me that it might not be Spectrum at fault.  Are they delivering your 1000 Mbps... no, but I'm trying to tell you that 250 Mbps isn't all that bad.  In multithread it looks like you're able to see 400-600 Mbps.  Not bad.  If they're cool they should give you a credit for that.  Maybe $10-$20/month off for a year or something like that.  Comcast did that for me when I presented my information.  I just called and told them what I was finding, didn't have to show them anything.  They challenged nothing, but each ISP is different.

I've been a trusted resource going on decades now, your ISP knows TestMy.net.  They used to train their employees to use my site.

What are the reasons for such a wide variance between multithread on and multithread off?

• If it were happening on all of your computers across your network and also happening when directly connected to the modem.  Then it's probably a Spectrum issue.
  • If it's happening, isolated to one or two machines... most likely a software or configuration issue of some kind.

Why do I have to turn off Privacy Badger in Firefox and Brave Shield in Brave to get your tests to work?

I test in Brave regularly, always with shields up.  You must have "block scripts" checked in the advanced settings or something.  If you block scripts here nothing will work right because all of the frontend code is javascript.  I don't know about Privacy Badger, probably the same kind of issue.

I'm getting back to writing my beta, where my time and effort is more appreciated.  Later!    :headbang:  << note: the thumb sticking out ;) 

1 hour ago, MFP said:

Per the example, if the test site my buddy used gives the same result as TMN, how can it be hot garbage? Not logical.

I know that you are invested and defensive, but I am just trying to cut through all the crap in this business and pay for only what I get.

It was the Admin who bragged he could solve my problems if I only ran these tests, and then these, and then these, and then in the end ust be happy with that you have.

I never projected expertise just long experience, but I was expecting to benefit from the expertise that was projected here.

Suggesting I change ISP's is just disingenuous.

Not logical? Lol. It's called consistency. 250mbs is not that hard to attain... But when I do two back-to-back tests one giving me 700 Mbps a second and the other giving me 200 Mbps... That's called garbage. Sorry. 

Also suggesting changing isps is not disingenuous.. you were the one that says it's a Spectrum problem. If you've exhausted all possibilities, change ISPs. It's process, not smoke.  I pay $75 a month for symmetrical gigabit connection. You state you're paying $100 for cable.... Sounds to me like you should explore your options and see if your speeds get better elsewhere. :shrug:. Take it how you will. 🤦

I have never been unappreciative of your efforts or your service.

If I come off that way, it is only out frustration from this years long battle with Spectrum and my unrealistic expectations of TMN as my last best hope.

So thank you for what you do.

Am still willing to test your beta.

13 minutes ago, MFP said:

This includes me.

Includes most people.  Includes me as well.

Pulled up CenturyLink (really the only other ISP in the area) to my address and here's what I can get.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 9.45.44 AM-b.png

lol.  Wow!  You'll even give me unlimited data! 

You may want to say monopoly.  But it comes down to the infrastructure.  Cable laid the infrastructure with superior technology far earlier than telco companies.  Coaxial cable even in it's early stages has always been amazing.  It was immediately ready for high speed internet before it was even a thing.  The architecture of cable systems beat twisted pair, they laid more infrastructure easier.  They won for good reason.

It may be a monopoly that they don't have competition at the ground level.  They may just buy up anyone who tries to compete.  But really as a company today, are you going to come into a rural area and fiber up everything?  Probably not... but cable had laid the infrastructure early, in the analog days when hardwired made even more sense.  Today, they're going to want to beam you the connection. 

If I have the choice between wireless, old crappy telco tech and cable... I'll always choose cable.  That's why my nick is CA3LE.

Hell, I'd love me some fiber, just have never had those choice.  If I still lived in Phoenix I'd have a bunch of choices these days.  

So my options are 60 Mbps for $50 from CenturyLink or from Comcast...

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 10.09.55 AM-b.png

Even if all of those packages perform at 50%... still better than CenturyLink.  At least in my area.  Now CenturyLink Fiber (FTTH) ... I imagine is a totally different story.

"You may want to say monopoly.  But it comes down to the infrastructure.  Cable laid the infrastructure with superior technology far earlier than telco companies.  Coaxial cable even in it's early stages has always been amazing.  It was immediately ready for high speed internet before it was even a thing.  The architecture of cable systems beat twisted pair, they laid more infrastructure easier.  They won for good reason. "

They simply leveraged existed TV cable lines and exclusive local government contracts. They got bills passed to ban competition from local governments, they lie about coverage areas and service provided to discourage competition.   They are no less evil than the telecom companies.

AT$T publicly said that their money, ill-gotten gains, is  better spent on shareholder dividends than investment in fiber for rural broadband.

1 hour ago, MFP said:

Problem with the CO test sever or Spectrum?

Not the server.

890.4 Mbps [111.3 MB/s] | Downloaded 200 MB in 1.8 seconds
Pre-Test: 735.2 Mbps [91.9 MB/s] | Downloaded 60 MB in 0.65 seconds
Download Graph: [504,656,702.4,845.6,735.2,763.2,497.6,610.4,692,890.4,936,931.2]
Test Latency 18 ms Avg - 10 ms Min
Latency Graph: [21,21,16,16,19,14,14,19,27,17,26,10]
Locale: co.testmy.net
Graph & Validate: https://testmy.net/x/tmn?resultID=SWZWDFC8O

481.6 Mbps [60.2 MB/s] | Downloaded 138.6 MB Linear in 2.3 seconds
Pre-Test: 375.2 Mbps [46.9 MB/s] | Downloaded 60 MB in 1.28 seconds
Download Graph: [151.2,194.4,236.8,375.2,450.4,487.2,478.4,475.2,482.4,488.8,481.6,478.4]
Test Latency 27 ms Avg - 16 ms Min
Latency Graph: [19,26,19,22,16,19,16,27,24,82,25,26]
Locale: co.testmy.net
Graph & Validate: https://testmy.net/x/tmn?resultID=Lh4JaCfuA

1 hour ago, MFP said:

It's not the computer (Samsung tablet) as it will do fine to the Spectrum speedtest beauty sites.

Comparing apples to oranges.

Right, my only point was that it cannot be the Samsung tablet computer if it can do this on speedtest. No comment on accuracy.

I am seeing the same thing right now with the Dallas server and a MS Surface tablet that has also done 940 Mbps.

How can this not be a Spectrum problem?

tablet.jpg

other speed test ≠ testmy.net

They're testing different and don't look at the result the same way as I do.

You say you're having problems.  Why would you trust the other test's results ever after they've shown it working correctly when it obviously isn't?

3 minutes ago, MFP said:

To prove to you and others that it is not my computers or router.

It doesn't prove anything if the test is only capable of seeing things through a distorted lens.

It can be a bunch of different issues that we've proven over and over are not detectable with other speed tests.  

Something is preventing you from scoring well, it's not TMN and I don't really think it's Spectrum.  It appears to be a localized issue.  Sorry that's not what you want to hear.

Your speed improved when you booted the fresh win11 install, right?  I think something you have installed or some setting is messing things up.

"Your speed improved when you booted the fresh win11 install, right?  I think something you have installed or some setting is messing things up. "

I can get 200 from a computer that just got 40 as well. I can get 200 or 90 and then 40 an hour later. A one time snapshot doesn't prove anything.

For you be right about this, this _setting_ would have to be present in different OS's, different form factors, and different software loads across all ten of my computers.

I am sorry but that is just not believable or logical in any way. The only common dominator is the router (already proven good) or Spectrum.

I agree, if it's across so many devices you should look to the common denominator.  

This is why I suggested that you test directly wired to the modem.  You said you already did this but when?  How were you testing?

If you can show the ~40 Mbps linear result on a computer with a fresh OS install, directly connected to the modem it will reasonably prove that something is either wrong with the modem, connection to the modem (cable or adapter) or Spectrum.

We have to eliminate all those variables, have you tried that combination yet?

50 minutes ago, MFP said:

I can get 200 from a computer that just got 40 as well. I can get 200 or 90 and then 40 an hour later. A one time snapshot doesn't prove anything.

You may be able to get 200 on one that drops down to 40... but did you ever get 40 on the fresh install (win11)?  From what I saw, it looked like that machine never showed a drop like the others.

I have a 400 page, 100k word, book of this three year saga, if you care to read it for all the gory details.

I was testing earlier today (ident 03) with the Surface4 and Edge and was getting around 30 linear. I was also getting poor results with speedtest.exe.

So I fired up Firebox and my linear tests to Dallas went from 30 to 230. (ident 04) No reboot, no changes, no nothing. Just a different browser.

How do you explain this?

There are still way too many variables here!

I have had about six different modems here, multiples of Ubee, Technicolor, another I don't remember the name and the Hitron EN2251 with 2.5G Ethernet port which I have now.

I don't recall testing from the modem to TMN but too many, many, places. Enough to convince even Spectrum that my router was fine.

It is a real hassle to shut down my network connections and try to get these machines over to the modem. So  I don't do it unless I am really sure that I need to .

I will try to dig up my modem testing data, and will post it here later. Meanwhile if you could answer my burning question.

From the modem directly March 8 and 9, 2023 using two different computers.

One of the problems here is that I can't shut my network down for ten days to really test this idea.

This was what was behind me getting Spectrum to give me a SanKnows box, but typically they corrupted this idea and  can't really use it to do my own testing.

NOTE: PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE TESTS ARE A ONETIME SNAPSHOT OF DATA AND DO NOT NECESSARILY EXPLAIN THE RANDOM LOW BANDWIDTH MESSAGES I GET FROM GOOGLE (YOUTUBE), AMAZON (PRIME VIDEO) OR NETFLIX.

Ipconfig

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : eau.wi.charter.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Surface Ethernet Adapter 1 gigabit Ethernet over CAT 7 cables

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-31-B5-46-20-46

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:6c44:7022:100:cd49:368b:dc23:8c8e(Preferred)

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 6:46:21 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 3:50:28 PM

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24eb:902d:f8c9:b0be%3(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 71.90.xxx.xxx(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 6:46:39 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 3:50:46 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe9e:b246%3 71.90.112.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.114.248.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 62402997

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2B-48-DC-B4-B8-31-B5-46-20-46

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:f428:ffff:ffff::1 2607:f428:ffff:ffff::2

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

SPEEDTESTS

Speedtest.net

DOWNLOAD 94.29 Mbps

UPLOAD 22.95 Mbps

Ping ms  16  93  25

Wausau Supply Company Schofield, WI

DOWNLOAD 374.09 Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps 22.89 Mbps

Ping ms  24  48  34

CyberLynk Network Milwaukee, WI

CyberLynk Network hostingsupport.io

PING 24 ms

JITTER 1 ms

DOWNLOAD SPEED 343.8 Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED 23.0 Mbps

MLAB

https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

Test Server

Chicago, US

Download

56.29 Mb/s

Upload

21.31 Mb/s

Latency

31 ms

Retransmission

0.00%

FAST.COM

Your Internet speed is 57 Mbps

Latency Unloaded 24 ms

Loaded 303 ms

Upload Speed 20 Mbps

Client   Two Rivers, US   2600:6c44:7022:100:cd49:368b:dc23:8c8e   Spectrum

Server(s) Chicago, US  |  Minneapolis, US

Settings

180MB 

40MB 

SPECTRUM

https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test
Your speed test has finished. Your ping result is 17. Your jitter result is 4. Your download result is 59.0 Mbps. Your upload result is 22.3 Mbps.

Test results

DOWNLOAD 59.0 Mbps

UPLOAD 22.3 Mbps

Spectrum Eau Claire, WI

Ipconfig

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description  : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V (Data Rate Per Port 1GbE)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : EC-A8-6B-FD-02-FD

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 23.87.28.17(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 08, 2023 11:58:24 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 08, 2023 12:58:23 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 23.87.28.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.10.216.1    71.10.216.2

SPEED TESTS CONDUCTED 3/8/23 12PM

SPEEDTEST.NET

Download Mbps

Upload Mbps

CyberLynk Network Milwaukee, WI (this is where by webserver and email server are hosted)

Download Mbps

Upload Mbps

CYBERLYNK SITE

Test results

Ping

21ms

Jitter 1

ms

Download Speed

290.4 Mbps

Upload Speed

22.7 Mbps

Spectrum

https://www.hostingsupport.io/

FAST

https://fast.com/

Down load Speed 230 Mbps

Latency

Unloaded 44 ms

Loaded 47 ms

Upload Speed 23 Mbps

Client   Tworivers, US   2002:1757:1c11::1757:1c11   Spectrum

Server(s) Chicago, US  |   Ashburn, US

Settings                DL 250MB            UPL 20MB

SPECTRUM

Download 287.8 Mbps

Upload 22.5 Mbps

Spectrum Livonia, MI

MLAB

Test Server         Chicago, US

Download           46.40 Mb/s

Upload 19.68 Mb/s

Latency                38 ms

Retransmission                 0.00%

GOOGLE

https://fiber.google.com/speedtest/

Schofield, WI

Test results

Ping 14 ms

Jitter 4 ms

Download

248.9 Mbps

Upload

22.8 Mbps

Wausau Supply Company

Schofield, WI

Spectrum

AMAZON

https://testmy.net/hoststats/amazoncom

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..:::

Download Connection Speed:: 216545.3 kbps or 216.5 Mbps

Download Speed Test Size:: 90.9 MB or 93126 kB or 95361024 bytes

Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 27068 kB/s or 27.1 MB/s

Upload Connection Speed:: 5045 kbps or 5 Mbps

Upload Speed Test Size:: 6.1 MB or 6272 kB or 6422528 bytes

Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 631 kB/s

Timed:: Download: 3.523 seconds | Upload: 10.184 seconds

Tested At:: https://TestMy.net

Test Time:: 2023-03-08 12:32:43 Local Time

Client Location:: Two Rivers, WI US https://testmy.net/city/two_rivers_wi

Target:: Dallas, TX https://dallas.testmy.net

Validation:: https://testmy.net/db/2xM5pRcu~.BWIEzgXLf

TiP Measurement Summary (Download):: Min 89.99 Mbps | Middle Avg 315.59 Mbps | Max 744.15 Mbps | 157% Variance

Client Stats:: https://testmy.net/compID/16970773019802 

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/110.0 [!]

XFINITY

https://speedtest.xfinity.com/

SPEAKEASY

https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Schofield, WI

Test results

Ping

13 ms

Jitter

2 ms

Download

480.6 Mbps

Upload

22.9 Mbps

TESTMYSPEED

https://testmyspeed.onl/

Wausau Supply Company

Schofield, WI

Test results

Ping 13 ms

Jitter 1 ms

Download

456.8 Mbps

Upload

22.9 Mbps

TELSTRA SPEED TEST Sydney, Australia

https://speedtest.telstra.com/

34.2Mbps

DOWNLOAD SPEED

19.9Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED

C:\windows\Ipconfig

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Surface Ethernet Adapter 1 gigabit Ethernet over CAT 7 cables

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-31-B5-46-20-46

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:6c44:7022:100:cd49:368b:dc23:8c8e(Preferred)

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 6:46:21 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 3:50:28 PM

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24eb:902d:f8c9:b0be%3(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 71.90.xxx.xxx(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 6:46:39 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 3:50:46 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe9e:b246%3 71.90.112.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 62402997

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2B-48-DC-B4-B8-31-B5-46-20-46

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:f428:ffff:ffff::1 2607:f428:ffff:ffff::2

SPEEDTESTS

Speedtest.net

DOWNLOAD 94.29 Mbps

UPLOAD 22.95 Mbps

Ping ms  16  93  25

DOWNLOAD 374.09 Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps 22.89 Mbps

Ping ms  24  48  34

CyberLynk Network hostingsupport.io

https://www.hostingsupport.io/

PING 24 ms

JITTER 1 ms

DOWNLOAD SPEED 343.8 Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED 23.0 Mbps

MLAB

Test Server

Chicago, US

Download

56.29 Mb/s

Upload

21.31 Mb/s

Latency

31 ms

Retransmission

0.00%

FAST.COM

Your Internet speed is 57 Mbps

Latency Unloaded 24 ms

Loaded 303 ms

Upload Speed 20 Mbps

Client   Two Rivers, US   2600:6c44:7022:100:cd49:368b:dc23:8c8e   Spectrum

Server(s) Chicago, US  |  Minneapolis, US

Settings

180MB 

40MB 

SPECTRUM

Your speed test has finished. Your ping result is 17. Your jitter result is 4. Your download result is 59.0 Mbps. Your upload result is 22.3 Mbps.

Test results

DOWNLOAD 59.0 Mbps

UPLOAD 22.3 Mbps

Spectrum Eau Claire, WI

So here we have tests from 7/10 my router and my modem both showing the same approximate results. 40ish from the router and the modem with a linear test. 300ish from the router and the modem with the multithreaded test to testmy.net from my Intel NUC.

image.png.fd55eb7ef84eaec5a41d78c00a1a62eb.png

Sorry I dropped off, like I said, was getting back to writing the beta.  It's taken on a life of its own, controlling me into building more.  In a good way.  Never enough hours though.

If I think of anything that might help more I'll update this thread.  Please let us know if you figure out anything solid on your end.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:24 PM, MFP said:

So I fired up Firebox and my linear tests to Dallas went from 30 to 230. (ident 04) No reboot, no changes, no nothing. Just a different browser.

How do you explain this?

There are still way too many variables here!

Meanwhile if you could answer my burning question.

Hi MFP, after my last response I got back into development again.  I hope it all makes sense when you see the beta.  Very proud of how it's turning out.

I didn't notice this post until just now... when catching up on the topic I was focused on the post after the one I quote here.

When that happens, where one browser is much faster than another on the same machine, it always points to software as the culprit.  There's no other reason why that would happen.

I would reset that browser to factory defaults to see if it improves.  But first...

Often it can be some plugin you've installed.  You can try systematically disabling them to find the culprit.  I would disable all of them first, if speed improves THEN disable them one at a time until you find it.

Routinely installed software could have added the plugin/extension.  Or maybe a plugin you've personally installed, may have even ran fine until an update. 

A plugin that has the ability to parse the HTML content of the pages you're using, like a deal finder or ad blocker can severely cripple your browser's performance.  Especially if the author of the software is doing something nefarious.  Which at least to some degree pretty much all of them are.  (At least anonymizing your data and sharing it with third parties.)

TestMy.net's Linear test is able to detect this when other's aren't because the data is streaming.  It's like you're reading a document from top to bottom.  You can't split the data as it's flowing to hide what's really happening.  If something is parsing the data as I'm sending it to you it's possibly going to slow down my transmission to you.

The plugin may be harmless and just not a very optimal program.  Or it may be parsing your data for evil.

If the plugin is parsing for a few keywords it might not be noticeable but depending on what it's trying to accomplish and how in depth it's parsing it might really slow things down.  You may not even notice in normal browsing with fast enough internet... but TMN will notice.

Only way I'd ever ad block is with DNS, only way I'll look for deals is with good old research.  NEVER EVER EVER EVER install ANY browser plugins, EVER.  There is no exception.  If you absolutely need a plugin to do something legit (like metamask) then virtualize a separate desktop or have a specific browser just for that task.  If something needs a plugin, you're most certainly giving it too many permissions.  I trust no plugin.  I could audit their code today and they update it all tomorrow.

Hey, maybe it's something else.  I'm literally 1000 miles away.

Back to reset that browser to factory defaults; It could be a simple setting in the browser.  Might be buried deep in advanced settings where it could be nearly impossible to find.  If all else fails, just reset the browser.  All browsers these days seem to have some option for that.

If it is a specific plugin or piece of software and you narrow it down, please let us know what you find.  The examples I gave above are real, from many TMN members in the past who've had similar issues and reported back their findings.

Just remember, it's not happening for no reason at all.  TMN doesn't lie.

I started writing more here and then started another topic.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I was using the wife's Win10 Surface tablet, to introduce a new player into the testing, hence the use of the evil Edge.

She only streams Netflix and Prime with it, and then only occasionally as she is a bit of an analog girl. <g>.

No extensions of any kind on either browser. This is simply the Gecko engine versus the Chromium engine.

I would hope that your beta will factor this type of problem out.

Both engines are proven to perform well on TestMy.net.   As long as they're running correctly.  I run them both regularly, every day.  On different operating systems, different machines all over the place.  I never see what you're seeing unless there's good reason.

Seems like you're always ready to attack me.  If you don't like my test, my results or the advice I'm giving then why are you here?  

11 hours ago, MFP said:

Sorry to burst your bubble

Don't worry, you didn't burst anything.  I realized before this even became TestMy.net over 20 years ago... I'm never going to please everyone. 

Obviously you can't be helped, you may not even know how to accept help.  When people take a lot of time to help you, you spit on their advice.

If I wanted spit in my life I'd work in a prison, zoo or insane asylum.

Some people act like I owe them something.  This site is given to you AS-IS, take it or leave it.  If it works for millions of other people for over 20 years... but doesn't work for you then you should probably wonder what's different about your setup than everyone else.  Instead you join the camp of those who shoot the messenger.

The other people here testing with similar Chrome setups but getting much better results prove that the issues are unique to you.  But you want the problem to be someone else.

Your wife probably clicked something and got the device infected, being an analog girl and all.  It could infect the base OS browser but not other installed browsers.  I would't ignore those results, they only happen for good reason.  When I've played with surface tablets in the past, I've been blown away how well they perform on TMN.  Using Edge. 

Edge ≠ Internet Explorer.  For the most part it performs as well or even better than Chrome in my testing.  I no longer have to program specifically for Microsoft's browser, as it now respects the standards.  Any browser that accepts the standard will perform well on TMN, which (after Edge switching to Chromium) is every-single major browser.

11 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Both engines are proven to perform well on TestMy.net.   As long as they're running correctly.  I run them both regularly, every day.  On different operating systems, different machines all over the place.  I never see what you're seeing unless there's good reason.

Seems like you're always ready to attack me.  If you don't like my test, my results or the advice I'm giving then why are you here?  

Don't worry, you didn't burst anything.  I realized before this even became TestMy.net over 20 years ago... I'm never going to please everyone. 

Obviously you can't be helped, you may not even know how to accept help.  When people take a lot of time to help you, you spit on their advice.

If I wanted spit in my life I'd work in a prison, zoo or insane asylum.

Some people act like I owe them something.  This site is given to you AS-IS, take it or leave it.  If it works for millions of other people for over 20 years... but doesn't work for you then you should probably wonder what's different about your setup than everyone else.  Instead you join the camp of those who shoot the messenger.

The other people here testing with similar Chrome setups but getting much better results prove that the issues are unique to you.  But you want the problem to be someone else.

Your wife probably clicked something and got the device infected, being an analog girl and all.  It could infect the base OS browser but not other installed browsers.  I would't ignore those results, they only happen for good reason.  When I've played with surface tablets in the past, I've been blown away how well they perform on TMN.  Using Edge. 

Edge ≠ Internet Explorer.  For the most part it performs as well or even better than Chrome in my testing.  I no longer have to program specifically for Microsoft's browser, as it now respects the standards.  Any browser that accepts the standard will perform well on TMN, which (after Edge switching to Chromium) is every-single major browser.

👏 well said.

image.png

idk. TMN seems to work ok for me.. :shrug:  upload we will sort out in the new revision im sure. 

Keep up the hard work D! :headbang:

"Your wife probably clicked something and got the device infected, being an analog girl and all. "

Sorry again, but this is why she doesn't have an Admin account. Running out of excuses yet?

The Mod, who I was not talking to said, "Seems like you're always ready to attack me. "

Simply pointing out that this system testing is inconsistent across browsers is not an _attack_. This is more what an attack would look like:

It makes me wonder that if everyone has to adapt their computers and software to get consistent test results on his site, then what the hell good is it?

The old saying is that “it’s always the clubs and never the golfer”.

Maybe what you should do is put a System Requirements section at the top of your website listing how all the planets need to be aligned for your system to give accurate and repeatable test results:

Make and Model of device(s)

OS version(s)

Browser version(s)

Application software allowed, AV, firewall, etc.

Any memory requirements, etc.