Odd Upload Limits with Firefox on Windows, anyone else?

nanobot

Noticed today with TMN testing that my Firefox tests on Windows are always <100Mbps upload. The three tests in the screenshot below are, from top to bottom: Firefox on MacOS, Edge on Windows, Firefox on the same Windows machine. Multithreading on/off doesn't change the Firefox results always being <100Mbps.

image.png

image.png

Here's where it gets (predictably) odd: Speedtest.net results in nearly 1 gig up & down, using the same Firefox browser. So, clearly, it's a limitation somewhere within Firefox itself.

image.png

image.png

Anyone else notice this, or have any guidance on resolving the limitation?

I just ran the test in Windows on Firefox and task manager is showing the same thing as TMN.

You're getting up to nearly 450 Mbps results in the upload test, task manager should reflect this.

Could it possibly be going through a different interface connected on your computer?  Maybe another ethernet connection or wifi?

... with a connection like that, you'll have to give my new beta a spin.  The current upload test is limited to 100 MB size, and single thread.  The multithread upload test is only in the beta and is the core of why I built an entirely new version.  Invites for the beta a now closed but you're going to get an invite automatically because of your rank here.  Looking to send that out soon.

Here's xs1's final upload result on Frontier

TestMy.net Test ID : qX0Ybzziu

And here's what he was able to pull using the current version. 

NnY814lfq.png

Sorry, I should have been more clear -- Task Manager is showing ~90Mbps which matches Firefox.

Using the new Beta test I'm getting ~600Mbps upload with the same browser.

Thinking that Firefox is having some sort of TCP limit applied to it somewhere on this PC, quite odd.

image.png

Curiously, Edge still gets substantially faster results.

All these results are the exact same PC. From top to bottom:

1. Chrome on Current

2. Chrome on Beta

3. Edge on Beta

4. Firefox on Current

5. Firefox on Beta

image.png

Definitely something funky within my Firefox install, I may have to wipe it.

3 hours ago, nanobot said:

Definitely something funky within my Firefox install, I may have to wipe it.

You can still see Firefox performing 27% slower than the other browsers with the beta.  But it's definitely more pronounced when you're uploading only one thing at a time.

Let us know if a refresh of Firefox gets it back in line.

Here's something absolutely bonkers: the issue persists after a complete OS re-install.

For unrelated reasons, I had already ordered some new hardware (MB, CPU, RAM, NVMe M.2, Cooler, and Windows 11 Pro), and swapped it out. The Firefox issue is still persistent.

Old specs (built in 2016):

ASUS X-99A/USB-3.1 LGA 2011-v3

Core i7-5930K (6-Core HT @ 3.5Ghz)

2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-2400

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB (OS)

New specs (built Sunday):

Gigabyte Z790 UD AC

Core i7-13700KF (8-Core P-Core HT @ 3.4Ghz + 8-Core E-Core @ 2.5Ghz)

2x Corsair 16GB DDR5-6000 (XMP on)

WD_BLACK SN850x NVMe 2TB (OS)

The results in the screenshot are FF/FF, Edge/Edge. All on the same (new) PC.

image.png

First pair of spikes is UL/DL in Firefox, second pair is Edge. The Upload is clearly higher in Edge, and it's absolutely consistent.

image.png