Speeds on my PC are capped or limited to 820mbps

Go to solution Solved by spenceteeth,

Hey Guys,

I have the weirdest issue that I am not able to figure out. My PC is not able to get above 820mbps on any internet speed test. Other devices on my network can easily get 1100mbps, including devices on the WiFi. I have tried the following:

-Changing CAT6 internet cables

-Reinstalling Ethernet drivers

-Trying WiFi on my PC using builtin WiFi card on the motherboard

-Changing browsers, clearing cache, disabling addons

-Disabling my software firewall (Glasswire) 

-Disabling my AV (Malwarebytes)

-Uninstalling HyperV role (to remove the Vswitch)

-Uninstalling VPN (Surfshark)

Short of reformating my PC I can't figure out why the PC won't get above 820 mbps, its behavior is odd, it gets to that speed and then seems to throttle down. As I said, my laptop, Ipad, and Iphone on the WiFi network can easily do 1100mbps on Ooklas speed test and 950-1000mbps on testmy.net. My current ISP is Spectrum. As the issue is isolated to my desktop PC, I believe this is something specific to the PC.

It really does sound like you've checked all the boxes in your troubleshooting.

Was this PC performing like the others until recently?

I'd like to see how you perform on the beta, it may give us more clues.

go to My Settings, toggle it ON then test as you normally do.  Once enabled you can Tune ☆ and increase the max text size, enable multithread, etc.

Run this on the PC with the issue and on a device that's known to be working correctly so we can compare.

• Solution

Just a query. Is the residential gateway/ modem provided by Spectrum?

If so is PC connected directly to that provided modem or passed through either a switch or isp extender device or perhaps a wall jack rj45 ethernet port using inside wire in the walls. 

Also if straight to router is there a port out of usually 4 or 5 grouped ports that are not of the same color or may even labeled as "1Gbps" some go higher when dealing with fastest speeds. Att and Comcast have equipment that use this

Internet speed on PC is largely hardware specific. gpu, cpu, memory, Network interface 

As a former tech for the Death Star I would bet its the top suggestions. Lasty the PC...but it is more common than you think of coming up shy.

820 on here is good on testmy I wouldn't fret

@CA3LE I wouldn't know if it was running like the others until recently because I was being cheap the past year or so and was only paying for a 300mbps ISP package. The economy has been rough, lol. I just recently got a promo deal from another ISP and they were offering 1gbps for the same price so that is why I am all the sudden noticing the issue. This desktop PC is a brand new build, specs are below:

-AMD Ryzen 7, 7800X3D CPU
-MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI AM5 (has 2.5gb LAN and WiFi6e)
-64GiB RAM Mushkin Redline DDR5

-Radeon 7900XTX GPU
-WD Black 2TB NVMe PCI 4.0 SSD

The PC specs definitely are not the issue, all drivers are up-to-date. @spenceteeth brings up an interesting topic. The desktop PC is the only PC directly wired to the router (provided by Spectrum ISP). The laptop I was comparing it with was on WiFi 6, I never imagined the WiFi would be faster than a CAT6 cable- when my wife isn't watching Netflix later I'll unplug the router and connect directly to the modem to re-run the test to see if its faulty or slow router interface issue. Here are the side by side results and you can clearly see the dips once the PC reaches 800mbps it just throttles or something over and over. 

isp-speedresults.png

Turns out.... Its the ISP supplied WiFi 6e router ethernet interfaces..... thats a bummer... For anyone in the future this is the Spectrum branded SAX2V1S model. After connecting directly to the modem (should have been an obvious first step), I am easily able to get to and maintain the 1gbps internet speeds, see graph below. I will have to see about adding a hub or something in between. Thanks @spenceteeth

isp-speedresults2.png