Win2000/XP Winsock Error '10053...Abort' Fix---Finally

After 4 weeks of failing to fix or even get useable info on this very annoying bug (broadband connections resetting every 2-10 minutes), the real story & a working fix has appeared courtesy of 'rtn', former senior admin at Global Crossing.

This error was graciously supplied to W2k & XP users via a MS critical update; majority opinion narrows it down to either the active-x patch or one of the IE security patches.

Either way, tcp/ip protocol was affected just enough to cause these 'software caused connection abort' errors.

We added several tcp/ip parameters to the registry that normally are not present on OEM & retail installs, but are common on the enterprise server OS & the venerable NT3.5 suite.

Not enough space here to post them all, email me for the full list. Here's a couple of the registry additions:

Optional Parameters Configurable Using Registry Editor

These parameters normally do not exist in the registry.

They may be created to modify the default behavior of the TCP/IP protocol driver.

KeepAliveInterval

Key: TcpipParameters

Value Type: REG_DWORD - Time in milliseconds

Valid Range: 1 - 0xFFFFFFFF

Default: 1000 (one second)

TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions

Key: TcpipParameters

Value Type: REG_DWORD - Number

Valid Range: 0 - 0xFFFFFFFF

Default: 3 (in Windows NT)

Default: 2 (in Windows 2000)

keep the faith :wink:

-JxL

indeed finally fixed; went from this typical rubbish on monday:

10:18:21 * Disconnected (10053: Software caused connection abort)

10:18:25 * Attempting to rejoin channel #junkiexltest

10:18:25 * Rejoined channel #junkiexltest

10:35:45 * DethDEALR is now known as D3thDEALR

10:35:49 * muhahaha sets mode: +o D3thDEALR

11:31:29 * Disconnected (10053: Software caused connection abort)

11:31:34 * Attempting to rejoin channel #junkiexltest

11:31:34 * Rejoined channel #junkiexltest

11:58:31 * Disconnected (10053: Software caused connection abort)

11:58:35 * Attempting to rejoin channel #junkiexltest

to today's server log:

17:47:07 <@D3thDEALR> (server) server:[irc.nac.net] port:[6667] status:[normal user] connected:[16 hours 8 minutes and 30 seconds]

Billy Gates is still laughing all the way to the bank, I assure you.... :evil:

-JxL

If this is an error it could be over written in the next sp update for window xp... I believe the update should be out soon... Like any day now.. I will check this information and get back to you in a while

Yes please do, i have heard much good info on this next update, especially on the Security end of things. I suppose it may be time to upgrade old W2k

with this new sp...I honestly have not been impressed enough with XP yet [especially home edition] to trash win2000 :wink:

-JxL

I would agree with that totally!! I use to run w2k until I discovered windows xp pro... Let me tell you it does everything plus more that w2k does... You can monitor your network from the os itself!! I am still looking...

UPDATE:

Ok here is some of the security end of things for the SP2 release.. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0104.mspx as fars as individual fixes i think that it is going to be just about impossible to see each one... There are going to be some many due to the fact that so many things have been exploited on this os... My guess is that most of the networking will have a fresh face and have some new toys that everyone can use. It looks like the official release date for SP2 is going to be July 21st 2004... This doesnt mean that it is going to be that day though... Expect slow servers and long lines when this one comes out... This patch has been in beta testing for some time now so it should be really close to perfect... At least microsoft is trying to get it right :lol: I hope PCMAG puts out a special edition so that I dont have to download it... I dont think I can stand downloading something at less than 50kbs... Think about it like <75% of the world uses microsoft products. And i would guess that most have windows xp.. Atleast 90% of the computer shipped in the past 3 years have had xp on them so every single one of those people is going to want to get this file on their computer... hey maybe cable would be cool enough to download the file and host it so that we can get premium access and not have to wait in long lines... That would be sweet as hell... I guess only time will tell how this is all going to work out...

Ok more news from the Microsoft team... Next month... :lol: will be the release of the SP2... current size is 274mb which includes all of the updates in the four catigories that this service pack will contain: networking security, memory management, e-mail security, and browsing security... No big suprises here but this patch was to come out last month.. :roll: o well it looks like MS is up to its old tricks again...