Somethings wrong with my router

Try holding the router reset button for about 10 seconds. That should bring the router back to factory default settings. When you got disconnected from the router, that probably corrupted the new settings. When you install the updates again, use a wired connection if possible.

yea, i tried the whole reset thing, but it doesnt work. and when i was doing the firmware upgrade, i was connected with wires.

:confused:

Not sure whether this will help, its from linksys website.

When I run the executable firmware for my router, it says it can

already have tried with the tftp utility. i cant access 192.168.1.1 at all. i think the routers memory or something might have gotten cleared :( looks like im gonna have to buy a new one

are you able to ping it?  Theres another article but don't want to waste space if you already tried the "red diag light is blinking" KB article.

Edit:  Just had a thought.  In this article it suggest setting a static ip.  May want to try that, setting it to the same subnet as the router: 192.168.1.X

x being any number xcept 1 and then setting the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0  could be the switches are still operating correctly somehow.  This might be why you pulled an ip from your isp (dhcp, part of the primary "router" firmware is blown away though). 

nope, cant ping it either. what i want to know is how im still able to use the internet when my router is unpingable, yet im connected to it :whaa::?:

Sorry... was editing prior to your response... see above.  I think the built in switches are not directly connected to the firmware.  Just a guess, but could explain the pass through capability.  Did you see the other article?

well see, thats the thing.  The ip is supposed to be the same, but its not working.  And also, about that whole static ip junk and whatnot, i dont even know what that really is, so i never messed with those settings; it was just set on the default thing.

I called Linksys again and they said "there is a possibility that your flash has been erased" and he said its non-recoverable, but i think he was lying about it being nonrecoverable.  How do i get this 'flash' back on there?  I rememeber having to do something like this in networking class (a long time ago...dropped that class), where u go into hyperterminal and type up a bunch of stuff. 

Anyone know how to put this 'flash' back on there?  Or am I just better off getting a new one?

I believe he's talking about the firmware.  Kinda like FlashBios.  Same thing.  Get to a command prompt and put in ipconfig /all then post your gateway and dhcp server  addresses.  I want to see if it's the router ip or outside of your lan. 

On another note, incoming pings may be blocked (Where the cable modem is plugged into the router), but from within your lan, they are not (up to and including the router).  With your networking class, you were probably dealing with a moch more complex and expensive router.  Have not heard of getting a terminal session with a home router (could be, but I doubt it).  Might be a stupid question, but is your computer plugged into one of the four switch ports and your cable modem into the WAN port?  Please post the results. 

try putting in the dhcp address 10.38.0.1 in your browser.

Here is the IANA for that block of addresses.  Are you sure you didn't change your internal ip?

NetRange:  10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

CIDR:      10.0.0.0/8

NetName:    RESERVED-10

NetHandle:  NET-10-0-0-0-1

Parent:   

NetType:    IANA Special Use

NameServer: BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG

NameServer: BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG

Comment:    This block is reserved for special purposes.

Comment:    Please see RFC 1918 for additional information.

Comment:   

RegDate:   

Updated:    2002-09-12

HaloBox, why would his dhcp server ip be from a IANA reserve block? 

Wingzero, the submask set for your ip is wrong for accessing the router, I believe.  You might want to consider changing your ip to a static one along with using that dhcp ip as your gateway and subnet mask for your ip of 255.255.255.0  If you want to do this, look up the page under linksys's site using "red diag light blinking" or, just buy a new router. :)

I have never used road runner so I don't know what they are using for their internal ip addressing scheme. Could be picking up the address form a rogue DHCP server. Regardless, it looks pretty hosed.

The internal ip for the router would be within his own lan, ............... Doesn't matter what the ip is internally and rr has nothing to do with that ip.  I tracerouted the 10. ip and it came up somewhere in virginia with a funky name.... not a road runner machine, they are good about their naming conventions.  You're rightabout it probably being hosed, but I'm not convinced the router is unaccessible.  Since he's already posted his ipconfig info and we found the 10. ip, can't go much further unless wingzero decides to go forward with assigning a static ip with proper subnet mask and gateway info to try and access it.  Could just keep using it the way it is, I suppose.

I have the DI-624. I think the only difference is wireless and "X-treamG" for the wireless as far as I know. I have had no problems with it. It's also very easy to set-up and use. Basically plug-n-play.

Some D-Link routers have trouble if you have your nic (mostly older ones) set to "Auto-sense" for the speed. I have mine(Netgear FA312)  set to the recommend setting of "10BaseT Full Duplex". So if you plan on using higher speeds on your LAN or the internet, you may need a newer nic.

You can take a test drive of sorts by using an emulator of the router interface at:

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524_revc/