Compaq 5461 PC Help

pitbull481

I have a 3rd computer (old back from 1999). Came with Windows 98 SE, 10gigs, all STOCK no upgrades. All i did was reformat and installed Win XP. All I gotta say is "everything is SLOW".  I am going to add a 80Ggig HDD. Can i just add more RAM to help out? Its' got 2 more slots to add RAM.

Help me out on this

Thanx :D

by the way i am using this computer for FOLDING  :D (now i got 3 pc's)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. All I gotta say is "everything is SLOW".  Can i just add more RAM to help out? Its' got 2 more slots to add RAM.

You can't have to much RAM... well to a point. ;) More the better. Especially with an 1999 machine. What a PII or PIII maybe ? Probably came with 64 or 128 MB at most ? 512 MB would be a good thing.  If it takes SD Ram be prepared for a price shock now that it's rare. Pricewatch.com is your friend.  Enjoy your toy. Old or new Computers are fun !

You can't have to much RAM... well to a point. ;) More the better. Especially with an 1999 machine. What a PII or PIII maybe ? Probably came with 64 or 128 MB at most ? 512 MB would be a good thing.  If it takes SD Ram be prepared for a price shock now that it's rare. Pricewatch.com is your friend.  Enjoy your toy. Old or new Computers are fun !

the max is 384RAM

http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-1413.html

php

i open up that zip file . what is it suppose to do? didnt do nothing when i opened it

run the .reg file in the zip file, it will ask if you want to add the info, etc. click yes, then it will say it was successfully added, click ok, and reboot

pitbull481: You may still have the 98 setup in your XP.I don't have XP so I'm not sure.You should have an options file Or if it has a different name in XP .The file that has the windows install .cabs

It may be in the install folder instead of the cabs folder.There should be 2 files setup.exe check properties it may be for XP.Look for one named W9XSETUP.BIN if you have it rename it W9XSETUP.EXE.Then if you have it run the setup it should install windows 98.I don't know how well this will work over XP but if it doesn't you can reformat & install XP or the w2000 from disturbed.I think w2000 is going to work a lot like XP on the older PC.

yes....

use the boot disk so you can fdisk and format the drive then you use it to add cd rom drivers from there you can bring up the cd and run setup.

I'll put a copy of the boot disk so you can download it, all you need is a formatted floppy in your floppy drive. extract the file from the zip and click on the file and it will make a boot disk for you.

i clicked 1

now its on this:

Windows 98 has detected that drive c does not cotain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition . There are several possible causes.

1. This drive may need to be partitioned on the drive, run FDISK from MS-DOS command prompt.

2. You may be using third-party disk-partitioning software, If you are using this type of software, remove the Emergancy BOOT Disk and restart your computer from a floppy disk.

3. Some viruses also cause your drive c to not register. You can use a virus scanning program to check your computer for viruses.

what do i do?

After you make the boot disk put it in the PC you are going to load win98 on, then start the pc and it should boot to the disk.

choose not to install CD rom drivers and press enter, after a bit it will come up with the A: prompt, then type fdisk and it will come to a screen asking if you want it large type Y for yes and enter.

Then delete that partition then hit escape 2times then restart the PC and do the same as before only this time you will want to setup a new partition when it is done it will ask if you want to use all allocated space or something like that (it's hard doing this with it not in front of me) it should already have a "Y" so just hit enter, when it's done hit esc 2 times and restart PC again.

this time choose to install CD rom drivers hit enter then at the A: prompt type" format C: /s " when it is done you can enter a volume name up to 11 characters or leave blank and press enter.

I like to put the setup files on the hard drive so if you want to do that, at the C: prompt type" md win98 "and hit enter.

Then at the C: prompt type CD E: that will bring up the cd rom, now at the E: prompt type CD win98 that will bring up the win98 folder then type" copy *.* C:win98 " and hit enter, when it's done you can take the cd out of the drive and the floppy out and restart the PC.

This time it will boot to the C: prompt without the boot disk.

Just type CD win98 and then type" setup /ie /iv " and hit enter.

That should get it going,

I know this seems quite complicated and a hassle but it's not that bad, and it will be better than just using the CD rom to load the OS,

Any questions just ask.hope it goes OK.

EDIT: If fdisk cannot delete the partition you may have to put the winxp cd in first and go in and delete the ntfs partition and any other partitions you have after it does that just restart the PC and start over with the directions above.

i get stuck at "Then at the C: prompt type CD E: that will bring up the cd rom, now at the E: prompt type CD win98 that will bring up the win98 folder then type" copy *.* C:win98 " and hit enter, when it's done you can take the cd out of the drive and the floppy out and restart the PC."

at C: prompt enter "CD E:" it says Invalid drive specification