add 2 cablemodems on 1 computer!

Larry

You should be able to run a dual nic setup.. Then just bridge those.. the real question is "can it be done"? I dont know coax cable only has some much frequency that it can operate at... Running 2 accounts on 1 cable line might not work.. However, i have no idea if it is possible...

Don't forget, you will have to have two accounts to do this...

I'm sure that the cable could handle the bandwidth. Some people that uncap their modems (don't do this, it's illegal) get up to 20mbps. You would only be looking at 10mbps max though with two accounts (usually).

There is a device that bridges two connections but it's very expensive.

Also, you will not be doubleing your speed over one download. You will only see the speed when you are downloading two files or using multiple sources. This is because the two connections are seperate. The only way to double the speed for one download would be to have the head end bridge your connections as well.

I know some people that do this with cable and DSL.

You should be able to run a dual nic setup.. Then just bridge those.. the real question is "can it be done"? I dont know coax cable only has some much frequency that it can operate at... Running 2 accounts on 1 cable line might not work.. However' date=' i have no idea if it is possible...[/quote']

They have no effect on each other, you can have multiple modems in your house.

Yes you can bridge the connections.... I have done with before... but never with two cable modems. Can anyone else give more info on this.

Yes I have done that. It's pretty cool! Mchsi charges $5.00 for an additiona ip address. I was doing some work on my neighbors pc so I just brought her modem here. As long as the nic and mac address of the modem are registered with the client it works. fine. I have used it for some of my streams. This is where I have learned some of the basics of networks and what ya can.. or cannot do The coax I have comming here is RG-8. Larger than normal cable TV RG59-58., I have very little loss. It also helped when the company that contracted the the the installation of Mediacoms cable system here. I a small town.. :wink: The trick was was my computer id. It can get a bit squirrly when the DHPC renews the lease. This is a small town and with the head end just down the road. I will have to try it again since MCHI fot a bit faster. Now if I could get a better upload I would be a happy camper..

:( I tried this about a year and a half ago, the main problem was the unique id on the computer, I found a way to fake that but a tech from the cable company told me at the time I could be creating a big problem for myself by doing this and he thought there was a kosher way to do....but he never got back to me!!!when renewal time came around the whole setup went crazy....it did work just not very well all the time....so there was no advantage like you can get with 2 dial up modems........but just a few months ago I read in a tech publication where someone had this working and working well,,,,,so it got my interest back but like many other things I haven't done anything with the concept.....lol.... I guess the question I have is to what end do you want this setup for?? or is it just for giggles?? and how are you coping with the computer Addy?? because it seems like I remember someone saying that it was a reg. that each modem have an address that can not have a duplicate......I will look for the article and let you know or post it.....now what folder is that paper in.....lol:)~~

8) Microwave

Yea Micro.. I did this about tha same time you did. Most cable isp's do not allow users to have servers and with 2 ip's and twice the downlaod bandwith one could be his own mini isp. 8) I keep my listener count to a low number not to raise any flags at the head end. One of my reserved listeners is my cable tech friend. I found ut he was a listener when I kicked him and then blocked the ip thinking he was one of those bandwith bandits. hehe... As far as the computer is... What would happen if ya had a dual-cpu system? :321: